Balkan O gauge (Croatia and Serbia)

Devonbelle

Bogie side frames are all cut and I’ve started the layering to build up the thickness. If I was really clever I’d make a resin cast. As it was I made a paper template - took a few attempts until I was happy - then started cutting the plastic. Will work on over the weekend and post further progress. Paul 

0C83C524-1962-46E9-AD9C-10954E0EBD75.jpeg

115A9EC2-CA69-4223-9A31-FFD9EE3C4BA4.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Paul

l cant understand how i missed this project.

How wonderful.

I love it for two reasons: l served / worked for UNPROFOR 93 through 96 and their locomotives are very similr to our NZ Rail EMD s we have used here in variations since 1955.

l was based in Split for over a year which included North Port. 

also managed several trips to Zadar but much was restricted during the conflict.

Good luck with your project 

Russell Postlewaight.

An 0 scaler in Wellington New Zealand

Edited by Russell_P
  • Like 1

Thanks so much Russell. I do love the NZ EMDs. Some more progress to come on the loco - it’s my first scratchbuilt diesel. Split a great base for the area and the night sleeper from Split is still hauled by an EMD; with a mix of day and night coaches and a car carrier wagon. Heaven is the 2153 Split Zagreb with a 2044 class loco; powering up the steep gradient from Split and a glass of dark beer; with the carriage window open! 

22112A66-C82B-414E-B238-646B2F04A851.jpeg

Edited by Devonbelle
Added picture

• 2 months later...

Some photos to follow in next few days - but first a wider update. The project has morphed into wider Balkan railways project - so is now set in the top left hand corner

of Serbia - meaning an excuse to run Croatian; Serbian and Hungarian rolling stock; as there is a confluence of borders. 

My scratch built Croatian railways 2044 class diesel had stalled the past 8 weeks as I’ve pressed on with the baseboard; track laying and scratchbuilding town and railway buildings. Having track down will drive me to finish the loco. 

The original baseboards - two 4 foot boards hinged to one another were so heavy they were scrapped (well recycled). I plan to exhibit the layout but original boards so heavy. 

So watch this space! I’ll amend the title of the thread too. 

Stay safe and well. Paul 

• Like 2

So my O gauge layout is firming up. I settled on top left hand corner of Serbia. 

Before Christmas I built the station building using foam board; then over Christmas started the low relief buildings. 

I’ve imagined a branch line close to the border with Croatia. I did hours of research on the internet looking at buildings in Serbia to get the look right and the colours of the buildings before I started construction. 

The baseboard is 6 foot long; almost like a guitar shape - wide at one end. Track is PECO flat bottom and laid before Christmas - I’ll post a track /layout diagram this week - mind it’s only two sets of points; giving a single track running line and two sidings.  

Rolling stock wise; I have my scratchbuilt Croatian Co-Co diesel which is nearly finished. Plus a German ‘sinobus’ railcar - a Lenz model. Jugoslavian Railways purchased the rail buses second hand from DB. Then at the collapse of Yugoslavia the rail buses were divided among the former constituent parts of the JZ rail business - including Croatia and Serbia. The model unit will need a respray from German colours to blue/silver of Serbian railways. Plus a few diesel shunters on hand. 

The Croatian station building - I built in 2017/18 - see earlier in this thread will appear on a layout at some stage in the future.

More photos will follow. Stay safe. Paul 

C680946E-C475-4516-9856-8A57A980376B.jpeg

• Like 5

Cracking on with scenery. Electro static grass applied yesterday. Then some work on the river today and the next building. Few photos of progress and a map to follow this weekend to show the layout. 

all the best Paul 

8F1CBCB7-D9B5-4A4D-8DB7-50A18180F71E.jpeg

06C1667C-C181-4A58-9F7A-530DA20F62F5.jpeg

DA2498B0-582D-4373-A669-FBE5451FD658.jpeg

• Like 4

Cracking on with the layout today.

Notably

Work on the river - Perspex box section  (from a PECO box for roof tiles cut up and inserted to the river Channel then painted with PVA glue. Several more layers of PVA to come; once first layer has ‘gone off’. 

Plus I am on with the next building - the old waterworks/mill which now serves as a bar; opposite the station building. 

Finally (and at the start of today. I spray painted the station platform - it’s MDF. Initially spray painted Halfords grey primer. Then 10mm edges masked off for the length of the platform. Unmasked surface then sprayed dually with white and grey primer. I’m pleased with the effect. 

all the best Paul 

01452AE1-9BC6-4806-AC7C-CE891ADD10A4.jpeg

08B81856-2551-463D-8C90-902DDF2AD9B4.jpeg

• Like 1

• Devonbelle changed the title to Balkan O gauge (Croatia and Serbia)

I’ve cracked on with building work for the layout these past few days and this morning given the German rail bus a run. Jugoslavian Railways acquired from Germany these machines and they subsequently ended up with Croatian and Serbian Railways. A repaint into Silver and Blue is set to occur. 

Efforts focused on the building at right in the picture. Converted to use as a bar. All buildings in shot are scratchbuilt using A3 foam board with laser cut window frames acquired at an o gauge guild event in Winchester in 2018.  All of the buildings require guttering and down pipes, plus chimneys and weathering. 

8364550A-63C5-45C7-9C48-CB2BFDCB9D22.jpeg

• Like 3

Track has seen an overall spray of Matt brown and rails painted with a rust shade of Tamiya acrylic paint. 

The attached picture shows the full length of the scenic section: Fiddle yards to go in both ends. Despite the compact size I have another four buildings to scratchbuild. As I create multiple cameos. 

Track is PECO flat bottom and both points have PECO micro switches wired in; for reliability. After some minor tamping (well track realignment) the ballasting will begin. Points will be controlled by my favourite approach - wire in tube. 

3D6386E8-4CB4-4AC0-96EF-D3821A2A6DE8.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ballasting now complete and smaller details starting to go in. 

Incredibly useful is a Poundland small umbrella (other umbrellas are available!). The channel sections on the umbrella will be used for guttering in the buildings. Some of the small rods from the umbrella are excellent for point rodding!  

6E3935EE-EECB-4E52-8B25-88A5031A26A9.jpeg

132D4BD6-6D18-4BF2-8D9F-CCFB26341B89.jpeg

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

Final work underway on my layout ready for the Winchester O gauge continental show this coming Saturday (23rd October). Apologies for the lack of posts. Selection of photos over the last few months below. Most recently is the work on the Sinobus; respraying into HZ silver from DB maroon - which is an exercise in extreme masking! 

1D63B87A-E84A-4E62-885A-8BEF4A9219D1.jpeg

0B162A37-B6C5-4891-9C79-C3B6A5E32A57.jpeg

38D19C40-2386-4FC1-AA05-BF039154FA2C.jpeg

• Like 5

Well the layout has made its public debut at the excellent Winchester O gauge  continental show today.

Few gremlins but nothing that spoilt the day; more learning parts. Thanks for the comments from people about the layout and scratch building efforts with the HZ 2044 loco; which is on the home straight to completion. 

Few pictures of the layout below 

584D47ED-941C-4BE5-84EE-5FCCF45D7587.jpeg

F5250C06-FF4E-4B4C-A9D9-1E0409B5BF1F.jpeg

40AC6A24-F4FD-4AFD-9C84-1B2656FD02D7.jpeg

• Like 5

• 7 months later...

Well the layout is back out again on display. The Larkrail 2022 show, on Saturday 23rd July will see the layout make its second appearance - much work has ensued recently - small detailing work and my scratchbuilt HS 2044 is due to make its working debut at the show. 

The station building was further detailed last week (see picture) and this week the low relief buildings are being detailed. 

IMG_2324.JPG

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

On with final work on the layout ready for Larkrail Saturday 23rd July. Some shorts of progress attached. Over the next week doing some weathering on the buildings - just to tone down roofs etc. plus drainpipes. 

2288461F-A122-44B5-8965-7F596DE8DDE3.jpeg

50BA944F-D629-4DD6-8F63-A6406FFA0729.jpeg

• Like 6

Work today on scratch-built Croatian semaphore signals which exist on the Split to Knin line. Worked from photos. Posts are meat skewers. Arms are plasticard. Arms are mounted with track pins and posts drilled - I plan to have fully functioning eventually. 

2F4656B5-9749-46A5-8D6B-41C5B3C38A9B.jpeg

• Like 6

Just putting final touches to my o gauge Scratchbuilt Croatian class 2044 diesel - with my plan to operate at Larkrail Show this coming Saturday. 

To recap I built the loco from plastic card working from plans people on RM Web kindly provided to me - thanks again. 

Working yesterday and today on the multitude of handrails. 

I’m guessing it could be the only o gauge 2044 class loco; unless someone knows differently 

9483CAFB-91AD-4741-B03E-A43E8D691C5E.jpeg

74D1579C-282D-4D3E-AB03-356F6D89B7FE.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

6 hours ago, Northroader said:

Not much time left! I was hoping to get there, but the boss has other ideas. Hope it goes well.

Thanks very much Bob. I’ll miss seeing you. Perhaps Winchester Continental o gauge show this year?

Worked further on loco today - fixing bogies on and completing the side frames. 

Cab roof is made and will go on tomorrow after I’ve fitted cab window frames and glazing. 

The bogie side frames - to ape General Motors frames are actually Heljan class 37 bogie side frames with the equalising beams removed. A count up today reveals the loco (all plastic card body) is 184 pieces. 

Post show I will do the loco lettering and numbering. Couple of pictures from today. Including the side on one which replicates the ‘see through’ element  at the front for the air in-stakes. 

CAA3BD68-A737-40AD-A9D0-01C0BF13DBD9.jpeg

7B44E85E-4D9C-48EC-8C1F-F7182019AEF9.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Up early this morning working on the loco. Cutting window frames for the cab. Roof will go on today. Then a coat of spray on the bogies tonight. 

Please do come and say hello on Saturday if you come to what looks to be an excellent Larkrail show in Bath. 

37CAFAF7-013B-422B-89CF-D4C161F94BF7.jpeg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Devonbelle said:

Up early this morning working on the loco. Cutting window frames for the cab. Roof will go on today. Then a coat of spray on the bogies tonight. 

Please do come and say hello on Saturday if you come to what looks to be an excellent Larkrail show in Bath. 

37CAFAF7-013B-422B-89CF-D4C161F94BF7.jpeg

Interesting project, looking forward to seeing it on Saturday! 

• Thanks 1

Cab roof now on the 2044 loco; and bogies sprayed black earlier today - I think it makes a massive difference. 

Range of other jobs this morning too; I’ve fitted one of the buildings with more guttering - I use U channel rodding from umbrellas - secured with Superglue. 

Additionally I’ve been weathering the road models last night - just simple stuff; dry-brushing using acrylic paints. This afternoon will see the all important testing of the layout and the 2044 loco. 

All the best Paul 

54D513E0-1AEC-4BA1-B32F-D8AF1E1D0D63.jpeg

2EE736F4-88BD-4149-913B-DBF65F402E89.jpeg

3DFE4380-B818-4259-8321-A46F15A17643.jpeg

• Like 4

There we go second show for the layout and overall things worked! Larkrail organisers did a fabulous job with a great show and I appreciated being invited.

To do list isn’t too long on the layout with learning points. Thank you for peoples comments about the layout and the Scratchbuilt GM loco - it will be worth the wait when I’ve finished it! 

Public thanks to my chum Myles Munsey for help operating Ozjusko - watch out for his HO Romanian layout in Sept issue of Continental Modeller. 

cheers Paul 

823B3EDF-D4FE-49BE-B38C-6F3542B03087.jpeg

E5C49C45-2001-40F0-B89D-65C463116D60.jpeg

6C9567E1-50C5-4CFB-9B1E-B13B64F73B56.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...