A couple of LT Dreadnought carriage questions

jimmysbow

Hello

I have recently picked up a rake of Harrow models Dreadnought kits.

Can anyone help me with the following please:-

What livery did the LT Dreadnoughts carry in the late 1950's. Were they still in teak or repainted into maroon, also were the roofs painted red and the carriage ends painted red as well (or were just the brake ends ).?

Is there anyone who manufactures K2 bogies which these carriages were fitted with at this time?

Thanks in advance

John

• Like 1

Hello

I have recently picked up a rake of Harrow models Dreadnought kits.

Can anyone help me with the following please:-

What livery did the LT Dreadnoughts carry in the late 1950's. Were they still in teak or repainted into maroon, also were the roofs painted red and the carriage ends painted red as well (or were just the brake ends ).?

Is there anyone who manufactures K2 bogies which these carriages were fitted with at this time?

Thanks in advance

John

They were repainted into a mid-brown livery and unlined, not into maroon. Same as the 'T' stock and the Chesham push-pull Ashbury sets. IIRC the roofs were grey, usually well weathered from the steam locos used north of Ricky.

The only ends painted red were the brake ends. Probably the red then used to the O/P and F stock around that time, again well weathered by the steam locos.  I recall that the other coaches had dirty brown ends.

As for the bogies, I don't personally know of a source, but Radley Models produce Dreadnought kits, maybe worth seeing if they will do the bogies as separate items.

John

• Like 1

John - are these the original white metal ones? Assembled or still kits?

See my LT P4 thread below. Mine was a resin one from Radley about 5 years ago and came with K2 bogies. I believe the kits have since been revised and now include underframe details.

Edited by Jeff Smith
  • Like 1

Thank you all for taking the time to help me out. Great info about the livery.

The kits are the original Harrow white metal body variety with sparse underframe detail (although I plan to do something about that!)

Will give Radley's  a call re the K2 bogies;

Best Regards

John

Thank you all for taking the time to help me out. Great info about the livery.

The kits are the original Harrow white metal body variety with sparse underframe detail (although I plan to do something about that!)

Will give Radley's  a call re the K2 bogies;

Best Regards

John

You will need a powerful loco to pull those.  I have three white metal Standard Stock Underground cars which are of course smaller than the dreadnoughts.  Two are power cars with powered bogies.....

Take note in my thread about the ride height.

Good luck,

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Jeff

Love your Dreadnought on your thread, nice work!

The Harrow Dreadnought kits I have consist of white metal sides, but the rest of the bodies are resin so weight not too much of an issue. I have a Heljan met Bobo to pull them.

Know what you mean about the Harrow LT unit kits they are darn heavy and take a bit of shifting.

Regards

John

• Informative/Useful 1