Is it dead?

cromptonnut

• RMweb Gold

Well Nut,

My 13ft station module is still under construction. It hasn't moved on much since the time of the initial meet as I got given a layout I could actually use at home so that took up my time, but it is being worked on again.

After missing the initial meeting due to the car accident I was in the 2.5 hour drive to Grateley seems perfectly doable in my van!!

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 1

What is the crossover between the British standard and the Freemo that we use in this country?

I have a fairly un-scenic American module (built pretty much to the RS Tower spec because I could only fit in 3" straights at the board ends) which I'd be happy to bring along to use as a "spacer" to provide a longer run if there were a meet occurring that I could attend and it would be compatible. Though as time passes I'm hoping it'll look progressively more like Louisiana and less like some flat cork - and as of today I could possibly dig out my old Hornby plastic platforms etc and see what could be placed on the aforementioned flat cork... I've no British rolling stock though.

I'm slightly further towards London on the LSWR line to the west, so not exactly out of reach.

I gave up on any thoughts of joining in when the next nearest person was over an hour away, then the next after that several hours away. Andover is 6h south of me, West Midlands 4h south west.

I know, it's just the way it went with a "pocket" of interest "down south" and not much else. You really need a "quorum" of interested parties within a given distance of each other.

I know, it's just the way it went with a "pocket" of interest "down south" and not much else. You really need a "quorum" of interested parties within a given distance of each other.

I couldn't agree more.  I don't know why it didn't take off in the same way that modular has with those that model the US.  

I guess most of us are either "lone modellers" or "small groups within a local club arrangement" and just can't get our heads round building something that we can't "play with" on a regular basis... although I'm building my new layout to "modular standards" so it can be enjoyed at home or as part of a larger modular meetup.  As long as the ends meet modular standards, you have legs for it at the right height and you go DCC using a set of banana plugs and sockets... the rest is really up to you.

I guess it's just British stubbornness again.

One should not always just expect others to do something for one. Maybe you should even take the initiative to maybe meet a small group of like-minded people. After all, two are twice as much for yourself. Or even go to a group even if it is not on your own doorstep. All this can only be an enrichment in my view and experience.

I don't have friends with modules in the neighbourhood too, but I found my solution with a self-contained layout built to modular standards. My own layout "Bedheim" is basically the ubitiquous "fiddleyard to terminus"-affair with an additional siding to a gravel loading facility, cramped in the available room of 5'x6' (1,50mx1,80m). Built modular and to most of our 0e module standards (except the recommended track radius). I use it regularly as my home layout, but it attends 2 or 3 times a year module meetings,where the terminal mostly turns into a through station.  The additional effort vs a "normal" layout whithout the modular approach is very little, the module standards even provided some proven guidelines regarding track radius, loading gauge, electrics etc... Here's a thread about it:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106722-bedheimthuringia/

Michael

One should not always just expect others to do something for one. Maybe you should even take the initiative to maybe meet a small group of like-minded people. After all, two are twice as much for yourself. Or even go to a group even if it is not on your own doorstep. All this can only be an enrichment in my view and experience.

I don't expect anyone to show interest just because I would want them to, it's just a fact that there's nobody near me interested.

The nearest person I think was at least 2 hours away and the nearest group pushing 6 hours - that is far beyond "not on my own doorstep". It's a considerable investment in time, petrol, accomodation expenses, etc.

• 4 years later...

I am wondering whether this BritMod-OO 'standard' still has any followers. Our club (in the East Midlands) might possibly be interested in adopting it, but not if the standard is dead. Although the South Coast is some distance, it is still nearer than crossing the channel. Our main aim would be interoperability between layouts or modules built by our club members, while leaving open the possibility of participating in something bigger. Guidance from others who have tried doing this would also be appreciated.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Julian Pratt said:

I am wondering whether this BritMod-OO 'standard' still has any followers. Our club (in the East Midlands) might possibly be interested in adopting it, but not if the standard is dead. Although the South Coast is some distance, it is still nearer than crossing the channel. Our main aim would be interoperability between layouts or modules built by our club members, while leaving open the possibility of participating in something bigger. Guidance from others who have tried doing this would also be appreciated.

I still have a layout to BritMod-00 standards, and fully intend on keeping it as such. and maybe building some more, but it's been a while since I've seen anyone else working on one

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think it helps if a group starts and then others join in like happened with the US version to stop the endless standards discussion.
02E76B09-2307-47B9-83F1-2DA6B31CBC00.jpeg.86aa98db0b5d3a35fe8a8d9e1475d477.jpeg

The Exeter group lead that HO version and now other groups have enough to do setups too. It helped that the standard was existing and also the method of operating it which seemed an issue too as some want a giant roundy while others want an end to end line with operation. In HO the concept was a shortline with wagons going between set points controlled by a simple computer system and several of us volunteering to do the controlling of that system and signalling of it while others just run the trains to the plan. 

F2359625-7DC8-44E4-A15E-A97EEC502CBE.jpeg.b351f802ae4e941ca443dd528332e151.jpeg
I went off and used the idea in 009, Nm9 and shortly OO and O16.5. In 009 several others have joined in but it’s still a core of three of us who others join in with.

28FDEDC3-D8F2-4200-95F0-DDC8D1A91EFA.jpeg.c263410f143e61fea9a257b958632868.jpeg

In Nm9 (metre gauge in N) I did my own thing and we tried to do a standard but again it gets mired in discussion to accommodate the varying levels of an intrinsically mountainous system so I’ve trundled on alone and will just make up adapters to join in. 

So if there’s a group that meets regularly who like the standard you could lead and hope others join in. 

• Like 3