Miniature cctv camera system

Dear all,

I am looking for some advice and recommendations for a small cctv camera system I can use on a layout so I can use it for the fiddle yard and to show a difficult to see uncoupling magnet. I am looking for the camera and a monitor without the need to connect to the internet to see the results.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I asked on another thread is there a camera that can Bluetooth to the camera app on a phone?

In my case would like to mount on a wagon for filming my layout

I asked on another thread is there a camera that can Bluetooth to the camera app on a phone?

In my case would like to mount on a wagon for filming my layout

I've seen that.  It was a wagon mounted camera wirelessly connected to a tablet. The camera was a small cube that was just within gauge on an OO layout when sitting on a well wagon

Looked very good, but afraid I've no details. Sorry!

So it can be done.

John

• Like 1

I've seen that.  It was a wagon mounted camera wirelessly connected to a tablet. The camera was a small cube that was just within gauge on an OO layout when sitting on a well wagon

Looked very good, but afraid I've no details. Sorry!https://www.polaroid.com/products/cube-plus-action-camera

So it can be done.

John

The Polaroid 'Cube' possibly 

https://www.polaroid.com/products/cube-plus-action-camera

Hi

I have done this, I got a very cheap cctv recorder with no hard drive and cheap IP cameras from eBay. So far I wired up 1 camera. But I guess you only require 1 camera. Another solution if you use a computer and again use a wireless camera maybe an option.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

USB webcam connected to a laptop? Ali Express is full of them! I've got a couple for that purpose but have yet to use them in anger. The picture looked reasonable though. Not entirely sure I'd believe the "full HD" spec!

• RMweb Premium

We have a similar requirement at our club where the scenery surrounding one of the stations obscures the view of the platforms from two separate operators located about 20 feet apart. We therefore need one or two cameras to see when/where to stop trains using the station but separate monitors for each operator.

The system(s) must be stand alone i.e. not using a mobile/phone/tablet/computer based system

• RMweb Gold

I purchased 2 car reversin camera kits from Ebay, £18 per kit. Comes with small bullet style reversing camera and 5" LCD screen plus all the cabling. All you need to find is the 12v power. 

Just search "wired car kit reversing camera" and there are plenty to chose from. My camera is located under the hillside and required additional lighting to give a clearer picture, but would be fine if its in the open. The actual picture from the camera is clearer that the photograph below.

Link added: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-134428-41853-0/2?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fp%2F5-TFT-LCD-Car-Rear-View-Monitor-170-Wide-Angle-Reverse-Backup-Parking-Camera%2F1694438638%3Fiid%3D222783425091%26chn%3Dps&itemid=222783425091&targetid=411723798950&device=c&adtype=pla&googleloc=9044889&poi=&campaignid=1057752920&adgroupid=54713418609&rlsatarget=pla-411723798950&abcId=1133926&merchantid=118941521&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoKzH5cKv2gIVQT8bCh0PGwSYEAQYFSABEgJT-PD_BwE

post-21193-0-99294400-1523356760_thumb.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No problem - there are kits with larger screens, better camera's - depends how much you want to spend. I just use mine to keep an eye on which lanes are occupied and how close they are to the points. Prevents collisions. The lighting I got from Ebay as well. Small under-counter floursecent strip lights. Very cheap and again easy to wire up. 

Good luck

Ian

• 1 year later...
19 hours ago, Waverley47708 said:

Great idea to use reversing cameras which come with monitors.  Had a look for one which doesn't come with the guidelines on the screen.

But what if the train is not reversing, will it still work? :)

I guess reversing cameras are designed to work well in the dark, but if you go down a different route you might want to consider visibility if your fiddle yard is covered with scenery and / or is fairly dark. I picked up a USB camera with a similar intention, but it has LED lights around the outside so makes it ideal for areas hidden under scenery etc.