Just a few things I have been messing with.

Here are a few pics taken today while we have this good weather of some mods and resprays.

post-6665-12709082142_thumb.jpg

A nose Job

post-6665-127090823332_thumb.jpg

post-6665-12709084078_thumb.jpg

A respray into DBS Livery

post-6665-127090844856_thumb.jpg

post-6665-127090859448_thumb.jpg

A respray into Colas Clours

post-6665-127090861798_thumb.jpg

post-6665-127090864026_thumb.jpg

The track is Peco code 75 with concrete sleepers, the track at the top of the picture has had the sleepers re-spaced to the Network Rail Standard 14 inch spacing and the other track has been left in Standard Peco spacing, 9 sleepers were removed from the re spaced track.

post-6665-127090912164_thumb.jpg

Pete

• RMweb Gold

The track is Peco code 75 with concrete sleepers, the track at the top of the picture has had the sleepers re-spaced to the Network Rail Standard 14 inch spacing and the other track has been left in Standard Peco spacing, 9 sleepers were removed from the re spaced track.

post-6665-127090912164_thumb.jpg

Pete

Did you use your Gizmo?

please forgive my ignorance but was it hard work re spacing the sleepers cause their doesn't seem to be that much difference IMHO, the spacing between the rails looks spot on and the paint work on the loco's is excellent, please forgive me it's just i can't see the work effort = look

Ray

It's just a case of cutting the webbing between the sleepers which on a standard length of Peco track takes about 30 mins then I dry spaced all of the sleepers first and removed the 9 extra ones then it was a case of painting on the PVA and laying both tracks the standard one first then the re spaced one and using the tool to make sure they were all square to the rail.

Then airbrushing on some sleeper grime on the rail and then ballasting.

Granted it may not be that obvious the difference when ballasted but i think its worth it.

Pete

9 sleepers removed. That's interesting.

I calculated this from a picture of a Mk3 at a platfoerm (can't remember where) & after re-spacing, I had to remove 21 sleepers from each length of Peco code 75.

I've yet to rust/ballast etc my layout yet, so have no pics of the finished article, but I'm happy with it so far.

was it hard work re spacing the sleepers cause their doesn't seem to be that much difference IMHO, the spacing between the rails looks spot on and the paint work on the loco's is excellent

All in the eyes of the beholder.

I think it makes a huge difference which is why I have done it myself. As previously posted, it took me about 30 minutes extra per yard. When you have a lot of track to lay, this sounds like a lot. After wiring, weathering & scenery, it's not really a significant amount of time.

I did not mean to cause any offence it's just not my thing I suppose, as a fairly new modeller I am still in the weathering loco's and stock stage but as I progress through other stages of wanting everything it look "as it should" I will more than likely want my track to be as good as it can be but for now I'm happy with my Hornby track running on my first "proper" layout I mean my track is not even tacked down yet no scenery no ballast

• RMweb Gold

Pete

I guess the question is - having designed the sleeper-spacing gizmo for Shedmaster, no doubt at his expense, is he prepared for you to offer the product on the open market, perhaps paying him a licence fee (included in the asking price, of course!) for each copy sold? I can imagine there would be a fair few of us for whom Peco track is the only feasible way to go, and that sort of subtle - if labour-intensive - improvement could help us up the appearance a little, as you have shown.

The spacing is more obvious when you look at the two lines for longer than 30 seconds, the difference is actually there, not noticeable at first glace!!

NL

The curious thing is that the track at the bottom, which is the 'out-of-the-box' Peco I believe, has sleepers which aren't parallel to one another.

One of the French mags had a feature on characteristic sleeper spacings for different regions of France this month- perhaps there's an export market for you, Pete.

Here are a few pics taken today while we have this good weather of some mods and resprays.

Have the pictures of the mods enjoying the sun been taken down? I could only see the resprays wink.gif

I would be interested in producing them for others if the demand is there and it was my suggestion to Shedmaster that prompted me to design the tool I contacted him.

All of the pictures that were originally posted are there.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

The curious thing is that the track at the bottom, which is the 'out-of-the-box' Peco I believe, has sleepers which aren't parallel to one another.

I noticed that too.huh.gif I've always found in the past that unless you start messing around with the track, the sleepers were usually pretty parallel on the stock stuff. Not sure how those got so wonky, it's almost as if they been pushed together to close up the gaps.

• 3 weeks later...

Today I have been messing with a class 66 that I renumbered a while ago and now I have weathered after being inspired by watching Tim Shackleton's right track DVD.

post-6665-127343321372_thumb.jpg

post-6665-127343322249_thumb.jpg

post-6665-127343322965_thumb.jpg

post-6665-127343324576_thumb.jpg

post-6665-12734332946_thumb.jpg

post-6665-127343334228_thumb.jpg

post-6665-127343339115_thumb.jpg

post-6665-127343343986_thumb.jpg

All done with an airbrush and a damp brush with thinners on it.

Pete

post-6665-127343323677_thumb.jpg

Archived