Mendip 2018

John P.

The annual exhibition hosted by the Shepton & District MRS will take place at Doulting Village hall, near Shepton Mallet, Somerset, BA4 4PL, 

on the 9th and 10th June 2018.

The show features twelve layouts,  Tormouth Quay (00), Enigma Quay (ON30), Amiens (009), Shunting Puzzle (00),

Barrkirk (00), , Lulworth Castle (00), Godshill (0), Feltham Road (00), Tipham (00),

Yeobridge (N), Abbot's Morton (EM), Scratchy Bottom (Gn15).

Two preservation societies, Ffestiniog Railway and The Somerset & Dorset Railway Trust.

Three trade stands, Joe Lock, Tony Wilcock, Railway Scenics.

Admission; Adult £4-oo;  Children under 12 free (must be accompanied by an adult), 12 - 16 £2-oo

Wheelchair access - Parking - Light Refreshments

Our clubroom at the East Somerset Railway will be open (free entry) where we will be operating Midford (N gauge)

We also expect to have some static displays/demonstrations here.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Tormouth Quay will be there too, running the usual eclectic mix of mainly S&D/West Country steam alongside various early diesel shunters (and probably a Thumper - it always goes down well!).

Just need to find a couple of volunteers(?) to help me operate over the weekend as I don't think Roger's health will be up to it.  Any takers?  PM please.

photos 1 & 2 courtesy Chris Nevard/Model Rail

post-11812-0-69156700-1525305325_thumb.jpg

post-11812-0-84186500-1525305363_thumb.jpg

photo 3 copyright Graham Bean - enthusiasts' special traverses the quay.

post-11812-0-23903400-1525305411_thumb.jpg

It's my birthday that weekend, so come & say hello or, preferably, bring me a present  .  .  .  .

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

More bad news, I'm afraid. Scratchy Bottom has been cancelled. 

Pity as this is a favourite of mine. At this late stage we are not going to

look for a replacement but we will re-instate the club table for demos etc.

Now I'm busy writing up the show guide.

Never a dull moment in this game!

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Only a couple of days to go and at least three of the layouts are on here so come and say hello. I'm opposite Amiens so looking forward to that, my tanks are a bit more advanced though after 40 odd years of development ;)

Set off for home about 8:45 having set up Tormouth Quay ready for the morning,(cheese & biscuits for tea when I got home about 10).

Ray headed for his caravan at the same time with Feltham Road ready to go (I swear that if I hear his spamcan whistle one more time over the weekend I'll throw a brick at it!) while Steve & Phil had put Tipham together & cleared off to the pub hours earlier.

Another couple of layouts I'm not familiar with also up & running, so looking OK for the weekend.

Hopefully the bacon butties will be ready by the time I get back there in the morning  .  .  .  .

If you're going, please come & say hello.  Even better, come & play trains for half an hour or two & give us a break.

It's a nice, cosy, friendly little show & the East Somerset Railway at Cranmore is only a couple of minutes down the road.

There you go John & co.  -  that must be worth an extra meal voucher!

An excellent show as ever with great layouts and trade support

Lots to see but I was particularly impressed by

Tipham - BR (GER) late 50s - beautifully observed and full of real atmosphere, I could have spent all day watching

Tormouth Quay - a tour de force of small shutters,

Amiens1918 - brilliant atmospheric tribute

Feltham Road - a great model and a masterpiece in technology

Bargains from the traders - a tender for a quid- that will find a good home.

Thanks to all the exhibitors, traders and of course the organisers.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

I went yesterday, a great little show, the standard of the trainsets was good, although the Devonseasider bloke was missing, there was a notice saying his donkey had gone lame.I hope that he managed to get a replacement and attend in time to pack up and go home. There were several layouts that I had not seen before, Amiens was a lovely little layout, but I'm not sure that the backscene should have been quite so green and pleasant.

I went yesterday, a great little show, the standard of the trainsets was good, although the Devonseasider bloke was missing, there was a notice saying his donkey had gone lame.I hope that he managed to get a replacement and attend in time to pack up and go home. There were several layouts that I had not seen before, Amiens was a lovely little layout, but I'm not sure that the backscene should have been quite so green and pleasant.

Glad you like Amiens Snooper! Really was an excellent show! Thanks for the comment on the backscene,, I based the it on a real photo taken during the Battle of Amiens. I wanted to create something a bit different to other WW1 Layouts and show that not all scenes during the war were mud and Barron landscapes. There's lots of excellent photos online, which show Dry Summer Fields with Tree, and tanks and troops heading forth. 

9th - 10th June 2018 saw the Shepton & District Model Society host their Annual Mendip Model Railway Exhibition, at Doulting Village Hall. This years line-up featured no less than 10 layouts in a variety of gauges and scales, plus good selection of Demo's and Trade Stands. The Society's Club Room was also open, with a number of their layouts on display.

Layouts at the event included;

Holcombe - 0 Gauge

Tormouth Quay - 4mm Scale

Abbot's Morton - 4mm Scale

Barrkirk - 00 Gauge

WW1 Trench Railway - 009 Scale (My Layout)

Lulworth Castle - 4mm Scale

Feltham Road MPD - 4mm Scale

Tipham - 4mm Scale

Yeobridge - N Gauge

Enigma Quay - 09 Scale

Shunting Puzzle - 00 Gauge

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nMwJRSDH8U

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Glad you like Amiens Snooper! Really was an excellent show! Thanks for the comment on the backscene,, I based the it on a real photo taken during the Battle of Amiens. I wanted to create something a bit different to other WW1 Layouts and show that not all scenes during the war were mud and Barron landscapes. There's lots of excellent photos online, which show Dry Summer Fields with Tree, and tanks and troops heading forth.

Thanks, You have obviously researched the subject, unlike me, that just got sucked into the mud and misery scenario.

.  .  .  .  although the Devonseasider bloke was missing, there was a notice saying his donkey had gone lame.I hope that he managed to get a replacement and attend in time to pack up and go home.

You're almost spot-on at that.  Finally got there about 15 minutes before the end!

Having spent almost 4 hours sitting on the A303 waiting for a recovery horsebox, I eventually got back home some 6 hours after I had left.  Lame donkey is now at the vet's awaiting assessment.  Wallet is in the corner of the room, shivering in anticipation of the consequences!

Sunday early afternoon situation :    I'm a little way southwest of Axminster, the layout, stock etc. is in Doulting, a little way east of Shepton Mallet, it's 2 hours to closing time & a one hour-plus journey to get there.  Throw into the mix that I have no alternative vehicle to bring everything back.

Enter stage left   - our dentist, who's son is into model railways & who has helped me in the past at a couple of exhibitions, offering her car & her time (but not her body, before some of you lot get the wrong idea!).  With her car & my wife's glorified pram we were fairly sure we'd be able to get everything back home (which we did).  I met her in a layby on the A30 - it's the modern-day equivalent of Brief Encounter - and we hoofed it through the holiday traffic into sunny Somerset.

Quite an eventful journey one way or another - I won't go into details about the elderly - *very* elderly - lady riding her mobility scooter down the middle of the carriageway on the A37 between Yeovil & Bath (perhaps she'd escaped from somewhere), or the flashy white (drug dealer's?) BMW hot hatch that nearly took both of us off the road, but we did make it there, dismantle the layout, pack it away and, eventually, get back here in one piece.

Apologies to any visitors who were forced to look at the carnage we left on Saturday afternoon when we put all of the stock into the middle of the layout before covering it over.

Apologies also to the Shepton club.  They know I feel badly about letting them down for 50% of the show.

Conversely, thanks to everyone concerned for the help & support you were able to offer.  It really brought home the attitude & camaraderie that exists within the model railway community.