Reddish ETD in 4mm Scale

E3109

A bit of progress yesterday, finally got the main baseboard done, and the pits positioned, albeit temporarily.

The pit road assemblies still need the Lego studs covering over of course.

Incidentally, I'm posting via an iPad and for some reason the photos often seem to be upside down, like here, no idea why and dunno how to correct it. Any advice appreciated...

I was told that if you take landscape format pictures on your iPhone you should hold it with the volume buttons on the lower side to avoid this issue cos once you move any reoriented images onto other platforms they revert.. Don’t know how that pans out on an iPad but try a couple of experiments noting which way the volume buttons are up at the time.

//Simon

Some more pics. I'm able to correct their orientation via my laptop I think, not yet though as I've lost my dongle. Rather that than losing my mojo...

For landscape pictures on an iPad and an iPhone, always shoot with the Home button on the right.

John

• 2 months later...

Not updated this for a while, been busy at work but also on the model and its associated traction.

Step by step, but it's getting there.

I realise these will be upside down, but should be able to correct that when I get my laptop back from its F Exam!

post-10566-0-45003400-1537601360_thumb.jpeg

post-10566-0-15462600-1537601483_thumb.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Not posted much on this for a while, for the last couple of weeks I've been chopping up Plastruct RSJs which is a rather laborious process.

Basically the depot was a steel portal frame with everything else 'bolted on', and for accuracy this frame really needs to be bang on.

From studying photos it's clear that every other main portal was roughly twice the thickness of its neighbour, and the thicker ones supported the horizontal RSJs for the overhead crane rail.

Not the best photo but if you look at the attachment then the RSJs lettered 'A' are the double width verticals

'A*' is shown end on

'B' are the apexed roof sections

'D' are the normal width uprights, which need chopping down from the bottom as they extended only towards the area of the crane rail.

My plan is to complete the entire portal structure independently from the main Lego bits which have already been done, and then to cement the two structures together. Not only will this ensure accuracy, but it will also provide structural integrity to the whole building.

I really need to do a blog on this but in the meantime, I hope you can see where I'm going with it.

post-10566-0-79394900-1539434002_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A little bit of progress, not much to report of photogenic quality as it's mostly been prep work over the last few weeks.

I finally got some vertical RSJs attached, thanks to a few days off. Hope you can see where this is going.

Cheers

E3109.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barang_shkoot/46108248181/in/dateposted-public/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After much head-scratching I've finally worked out where all the windows and doors go, on the office/stores side.

As expected, they generally line up so that they're in between vertical RSJs.

I'm just glad I stuck to using the Lego stud centres as a datum, this has resulted in the shed being 2" short but at over 5ft in OO is an acceptable compromise, I think.

If I hadn't used the stud centres and made it to exact length instead, then it would've meant carving a LOT of Lego bricks up to fit.

post-10566-0-39784900-1545470717_thumb.jpeg

post-10566-0-50054600-1545470743_thumb.jpeg

post-10566-0-29953400-1545470773_thumb.jpeg

Gratuitous 'playing trains' shots...

10001, as every fule no, is there for bogie attention as 9C has spare parts, well that's my story anyway.

The bogies are identical to EM2s, so it's within the realms of possibility.

post-10566-0-16199400-1545471009_thumb.jpeg

post-10566-0-78645500-1545471035_thumb.jpeg

post-10566-0-32329900-1545471076_thumb.jpeg

post-10566-0-47881000-1545471207_thumb.jpeg

post-10566-0-07397700-1545471247_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

What a waste of a shed....

my thoughts as well. when i was younger my uncle used to take us round here in 87 or 88 all trains were long gone but all the track and gantry's were still there was fascinated as a 8/9 year old boy  just a shame its now all gone

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Strangers in the camp!

Taken by a friend who was a Guide Bridge man. Some unusual vantage points in that collection.

I don't know what year these were taken (I'll ask) but I'd wager that the front loco is 83012, which retained headcode blinds until withdrawal.

You lookin' at me?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Part of the depressing scenery in the depot's later years, were the grounded EM1 bodies dumped towards the southern end of the shed, as seen below.

I didn't fancy paying for DC Kits resin models for what is basically scenery! 

So, I got the Lego out yet again...

Manchester Reddish.

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Been away for a while.

Anyway a little bit of progress to report, the brickwork is now in place on the stores side, and almost all intermediate vertical RSJs fitted to that side of the main shed too.

1566348875027-1824617049.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...