I am an Electrical Design Engineer with a large house and a departed family, heading toward my twilight years, I am re-invoking my long lost hobbies of electronics and model railways. I built my first layout in the 70’s in a shed in the garden, a 6ft x 4ft effort that started the ball rolling while i was at school. The second incarnation was an end to end affair some 15ft long by 18ins wide in my friends loft. The third was a rehash of the seconds boards in my siblings house. There was then a pause for the fairer sex, marriage and a family. Next came the resurgence in the form of a new layout at my current abode, with some influence that it was for “the little ones”, a 16ft long by 30in wide board was erected. The little ones became big, and I was persuaded to relinquish the spare room for teenager “personal space”. Eventually they wanted “personal space” and moved out! The room once again became the train room and soon a new 10ft 6in by 4ft layout was constructed, on the premise it was for the “little one”, a later addition!

That was 8 years ago!

Work away from home has given me little time to indulge my hobbies at home, but has been a means of giving spare time to buy huge quantities of stock and materials to create a monster layout!

Recent events have allowed me time to design phase 2 and I have started documenting it in my website

LUMSDONIA

HOWEVER, my involvement in another forum and my unusual (for my age) dexterity with PC's and the web (I have had a website for 20 years) has led to the development of a website for my musings and general spasmodic updates about my layout. But over the last year or two, it has rapidly become a Model Railways resource of info! I also have a complimentary Youtube channel, mostly about investigating new animated features for my layout.

Sections include my layout, guides for beginners, ever expanding "How to's", tips, glossary and guides and even a shop section of FREE downloadable pdf's

Happy to field any questions comments good or bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Two more "How to's" added, the list is growing and there are a lot more that need writing up that will come soon.

Buffers
Coach Lighting
Gate crossing (New)
Industrial Lamp shades
Lamp post base (New)
Post spike
UTP

How to clicky

Edited by TimberSurf

Thanks Kev

Nice to know the site layout is working well

I originally created a spreadsheet many moons ago to store all the collected useful weblinks I had found, not trusting the favourites of a webbrowser program, as I have gone through half a dozen PC's over the years and things like that tend to get lost.

I recently 'shared' my list as a webpage on my website for the benefit of others. I had to tidy up the contents and formalise the content so it made sense and was factual and up to date before I went live. Thus only those I had verified and fully expanded, made it to the site. Prompted by a forum member, I noticed signage was not a category in the links page and on checking my spreadsheet, I noticed there was a category but with only one lonely link! So, I have done some research and compiled a more realistic list, which I can now share with you.

LINKS

When I originally did my research, I noted that none of those available, are 're-sizable', therefore those modelling Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch may have a problem fitting the name in :O , plus the top and bottom areas are not populatable!

Thus I produced my own excel spreadsheet that overcomes these problems, I may yet tidy it up and publish it one day

Station%20sign%20sandycombe%20up.jpg

• 1 month later...

Not much to report on, but a few more guides have been added, two special wagons for oversize loads that I have created are done and I will upload pics very soon.

On a recent holiday to Turkey, I accidentaly discovered that I was very near to a great train museum! 
Çamlık Steam Locomotive Museum is an outdoor railway museum at Çamlık village of Selçuk district in Izmir Province, near Kusadasi in Turkey. 
It is the largest railway museum in Turkey and contains one of the largest steam locomotive collections in Europe (33+ engines) Wikipedia
I only spent 2 hours there (in scorching 35 degree heat) but took lots of photo's and have uploaded them to Flikr

You can clamber into all the cabs (your allowed to), I was the only visitor at the time, it was basically deserted.

Pretty good write up here
I took a load of video (mostly inside the carriages) that will take some time to edit and I will eventually post on youtube.

Edited by TimberSurf

• 1 month later...

BIG NEWS

Well it is for me!

I have finally decided to buy my domain and host Lumsdonia on it! houra.gif 

The deal has been struck, the site has been uploaded and I have completed beta testing
I have redirected the old pages to the new URL

The new website address is now LIVE! at www.lumsdonia.co.uk clapping.gif 

Have a mooch around and let me know if there are any bugs! and  don't forget to bookmark the new URl, cheers

Edited by TimberSurf
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got around to doing a Soldering write up, it's been on my list to make a which/guide for long time. It frequently comes up on forums (mainly "I am scared to try") but also how to and which iron. There are plenty of video's on the net of how to solder and loads of soldering iron/station reviews, but little about the basics and how to choose an iron and how to use it!

Soldering Iron Guide

• 2 weeks later...
Prompted by a discussion with exhibitors at a recent Model railway exhibition I went to, a couple of guides on electronics that are useful for controlling power sprang to mind.

Now added to the growing list

And with a new front end, as the list is getting long!

Please let me know if there are any bugs or if you have any comments about the content, cheers

Edited by TimberSurf

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

On the Soldering page I would (personally) mention "Antex" as a supplyer of soldering irons as they are widely used. (I exclusively use these and whole heartedly recommend them.)

I would also include examples (pictures) of the different types of resultant joints so that people can recognise where they are going wrong (too hot, too cold, dry joints, no flux...)

On the "Regulators" page I would not mention any business (by name) unless it was in a positive way. (they may not like it!)

I'll read some more.

I've said it before, I do like your website.

Kev.

Hi Kev

I would personally NOT recommend Antex (not that I have anything against them, I think I had one when I was a kid!), as they are not temp controlled. There are variable temp ones for as little as £17 these days and for mobile, I would still recommend a magnet controlled.

The guide was done more as a "which type to buy" rather than a "how to solder". There are plenty vids out there for that.

Lots of wonga is not derogatory! :onthequiet: but yes, probably could be interpreted badly. Modified! (refresh the page)

Glad you like the site, keep the comments coming!

I get very little feedback and sometimes wonder if it's worth it, then I look at the stats (currently total 19,000 across the site)  :locomotive:

Edited by TimberSurf

• RMweb Gold

I use the Antex for low volume PCB production and for servicing Control unit electronics at work. I don't use it for Lead-Free solder or for modelling though.

The fact that it is NOT temperature controlled is in its favour as it is one less thing for an amateur to get wrong.

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

There are plenty of "how to solder" vids out there and as people are coming to your site for info then pointing to a couple you recommend would be helpful to them.

Kev.

• 1 month later...

Kev, some video links in the 'How to' now.

I have had this idea for years, but could never find any old hangers! (I am sure there is a stack of them in the house somewhere, but she's hiding them! mad.gif )
So seeing some modern equivalents for £1.99, I have finally applied the idea to my layout.
This means the idea is proven and I have pictures! smile.gif

So now a How To on my site!

Dust%20cover%20Long.jpg

That means no vacuuming and feather dusting for me!

Edited by TimberSurf
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am branching out (pun intended icon_e_wink.gif ) into video versions of my webpage "How to's" panachz.gif 
With a new found confidence in the output of my new super camera and some tripod/clamp/bencharmyajigs, I have documented one of my more graphical methods of tips - How To make removable loads (semi-auto). It has taken a lot of editing. I doubt I am up there on Luke Towens level, but its a vast improvement on my earlier vids and hopefully more of a useful tutorial rather than my previous, 'look what I did' type. 

It's a learning curve!

Please, please, give me any feedback, I cant improve rubbish, if I don't know it is! icon_redface.gif

P.S. If the music 'dose your'e nut in!' (as some biased peeps have mention) please let me know!

How To make a removable Mineral Wagon Load

• RMweb Gold

Very good. 

A quick video with no waffle and the results come quickly.

I liked the "Don't use a magnet " bit before 4 days have passed and then showing what happens if you do - most informative.

The music was awful. It sounded like the batteries were going!

(I know copyright-free music is rubbish though.)

Kev.

• Like 1

I went to the Wrexham Hobbies and Model Railway Show today. I took some video and loaded to Youtube, but as usual, it was a buying session. These days I don't tend to buy much at shows, I have enough rolling stock, so it is usually more the modelling side I pick up. This year I found a few bargains. Some coaches that are for a (secret) scratch build project, at £3 a pop and 120 metal wheels loose in a box for 30p each!  :boast: 

Result!!! :D

That means I think I now have enough wheels to electrically light my whole coach stock! :sungum: