Tornado fails on ECML

• RMweb Premium

It is a good job we don't have this sort of debate every time something breaks. A car owned by my friend had a broken suspension part the other week. If it had gone at 70mph on a motorway it could have been dangerous. He might have swerved and run into a bus full of people. But he didn't.

So we need to know which part failed. Why it failed. The name of the person who fitted it. The name of the person who checked it. The full design process and what is being done to stop it happening again.

Or he gets if fixed and carries on.

Mechanical things can fail and always have done. People have always made mistakes and always will do.

As long as the engineers fixing the loco know what happened and do a good job and also do what needs to be done to minimise the chance of it happening again, that will do for me.

It is a good job we don't have this sort of debate every time something breaks. A car owned by my friend had a broken suspension part the other week. If it had gone at 70mph on a motorway it could have been dangerous. He might have swerved and run into a bus full of people. But he didn't.

So we need to know which part failed. Why it failed. The name of the person who fitted it. The name of the person who checked it. The full design process and what is being done to stop it happening again.

Mechanical things can fail and always have done. People have always made mistakes and always will do.

As long as the engineers fixing the loco know what happened and do a good job and also do what needs to be done to minimise the chance of it happening again, that will do for me.

But perhaps we should know which company made that suspension part originally, as they might have a sister company who supplies parts for trains! Thus any conspiracy theories can go on and on and.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

But perhaps we should know which company made that suspension part originally, as they might have a sister company who supplies parts for trains! Thus any conspiracy theories can go on and on and.....

A true conspiracy theory, would have it that the part on Tornado was deliberately made to fail, after 10 years service. The aim being to get mainline steam banned from NR for good!

• RMweb Premium

A true conspiracy theory, would have it that the part on Tornado was deliberately made to fail, after 10 years service. The aim being to get mainline steam banned from NR for good!

That makes me wonder - did the A1 Trust buy parts with a 10 year warranty? Sounds awfully like the sort of thing that happens to washing machines...

Nope.  The OED cites a 1909 article as the earliest use of the term, though earlier examples are known to exist.  Even the suggestion that the derogatory sense of the term only emerged following the Kennedy assassination seems to be highly dubious.

Again, there is good evidence that the term pre-dates the the publication of Alinsky's book in 1971 by a significant margin.  For example (although at the risk of invoking Godwin's Law): in 1934, The New York Times reported that Nazi Germany was granting reporting permits "only to pure 'Aryans' whose opinions are politically correct." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness#Early-to-mid_20th_century). The mass popularisation of the term has been traced back to another New York Times article, by Richard Bernstein in October 1990.

So long as you are happy, ehh !

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Right, to get back to what is happening I have seen, today, Tornado doing a bit of running in on the NVR. She has run from Wansford to Peterborough and return at least once so far today, I am lucky enough to be able to hear her from home. Sorry, no photo as I did not have my camera with me. She is due to run, as noted above, a 10th Anniversary gala next weekend before going out on the mainline (I believe) once again.

Edit - and she has just gone past again at 17:23 headed into Peterborough ...

Edited by Richard E

Indeed. Bits of locomotives and vehicles have periodically fallen off/broken and created dangerous conditions since the dawn of the railways.  The more serious examples have kept the various accident investigation departments busy for the thick end of two centuries. 

Basically it's "Steam locomotive suffers major failure at speed, no-one hurt".  As enthusiasts we're interested but it's hardly in the same league as for example D1007 at Longfield Avenue and many others.   

I saw Tornado briefly on NVR and rather splendid it looked!

Dismissing it as “steam engine fails, no-one hurt” is naive at best, though. Tornado, and any other steam loco (or preserved diesel, for that matter) operating on ECML is a speciality item with no actual function, operating under closely controlled schedules on a high cost, for-profit public utility regulated by various statutory bodies. It would be the easiest thing in the world for one or other of those involved to rule it out of court, on the grounds that it can’t stand the pace, attracts crowds of loons to the lineside and generally causes more nuisance than enough.

Pardon me for daring to criticize the A1 Trust.

My only objection is that they are not doing a very good PR job. If the root-cause is still under investigation or they are prohibited from making any findings public for now, they could easily say that. What's so difficult about that?

"Tornado, and any other steam loco (or preserved diesel, for that matter) operating on ECML is a speciality item with no actual function"

It's carrying people who've paid a lot of cash and it generates a lot of positive PR and goodwill towards the railways in general (who often seem to go out of their way to destroy that goodwill). I assume they aren't given track access and paths for free. So saying "no purpose" may not be entirely fair, but I'd agree that as an infrequent charter it's probably less of a priority than scheduled passenger or freight services.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Pardon me for daring to criticize the A1 Trust.

My only objection is that they are not doing a very good PR job. If the root-cause is still under investigation or they are prohibited from making any findings public for now, they could easily say that. What's so difficult about that?

Maybe the trust has read this thread and found lots of hyperventilation and suggestions of cover up.

On that basis, why waste time trying to defend yourself, when it's less stressful to get on with the job? That is to get Tornado back on the rails.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Isn't it time this thread was retitled as 'Tornado returns to steam' or something similar as the existing title is now obsolete and misleading?

Dava

Isn't it time this thread was retitled as 'Tornado returns to steam' or something similar as the existing title is now obsolete and misleading?

Dava

Nah. The thread title is still funny just like Flying Scotsman fails climbing hill that normal engines handle with ease.

Maybe then the LNER fanboys might eventually realise that their locomotives were a bit rubbish.

:P

Jason