Al's Workbench - LNER 4-8-2 Mountain, Rebuilt W1 and A budget level Coronation set.

Al.

Sprayed up the Coronation  A4 yesterday with what was mean to be Gartar Blue. RAL colour match off Mallard.

I'm not convinced. Looks too light to me. 

I glad I only sprayed up the A4 and not the rest of the Coronation set. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm not sure it is universally accepted that the "restored" colour of Mallard is the correct shade, nor for that matter that the correct size of transfers are on the cab sides. I don't have enough knowledge to say one way or the other, but paint matched to the wrong sample colour wouldn't help.

47 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Hello Al, I've been looking for a 4mm scale ACFI pump, are they available to purchase anywhere?

Once I've am mended the design, it'll be available as a full conversation for either the Hornby A1 or A3 models, or as a kit of parts for you to do yourself. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Update  on the ACFI pump for  Shotover and The White Knight. CAD drawing has been amended following the trial print. It'll be heading off for second trial print next week. 

image.jpeg

• Like 5

New addition to the fleet. I picked up this Hornby J94 a few weeks back and decided to name it after our youngest.

Now named 'Joseph Alexander' and numbered 1996 (yes, I know 1996 is actually a J39), crew, coal and weathered, it's just waiting on a set of lamps to arrive from ModelU before taking up its duty as yard pilot. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

The second test print of the ACFI pump is done. All parts have come out well apart from the support bracket which failed due to wall thickness. This is being amended and will be reprinted shortly.

image.jpeg

• Like 5

I picked up a Mach2/Armageddon BP-44 kit the other month and I can honestly say it's the worst kit I've had in a long time - really poor quality mouldings. Anyway, I've finally got around to starting it. So far the loco and tender bodies are built and a Hornby 9F chassis fitted to both. Next job is to test run it to make sure I've sufficient clearance, then start adding the detail. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Latest update in the ACFI pump assembly. Seen here fitted to the Hornby A3 'Book Law' model. 

With the CAD model proved this will be available to purchase in the next couple of weeks. 

Kit includes:-

ACFI Pump (2 parts),

ACFI support bracket,

Zenith separator,

Boiler feed cleat,

Smokebox mixing chamber,

The kit will require brass rod for pipe work to completed the model. 

PM me if you're interested in purchasing the kit. 

Al. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Unfortunately Al, I have to agree.  For me, the Marlborough blue needs to be paler.  If I'm being really picky too, the Garter blue needs a touch more grey perhaps.

There's a Coronation set running on Grantham built by Roy Mears.  I don't think Roy is on RMweb.  Perhaps if you PM Graham Nicholas he could ask Roy what paint he used.

MickLNER also has a number of blue A4s and I'm sure he could advise on the Garter blue.

Golden Age do Coronation coaches and their colours look OK to me (unlike their teak).

On 15/05/2019 at 13:56, Al. said:

I picked up a Mach2/Armageddon BP-44 kit the other month and I can honestly say it's the worst kit I've had in a long time - really poor quality mouldings. Anyway, I've finally got around to starting it. So far the loco and tender bodies are built and a Hornby 9F chassis fitted to both. Next job is to test run it to make sure I've sufficient clearance, then start adding the detail. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

You’re making a really good job of the armoured train.

I have one of the same kits in my build queue, is there any chance of some pictures of how well the 9f chassis fitted into the loco body?

Is it a loco drive or tender drive version?

When I eventually get a start made building mine I’ve added plastic soldier company panzer iv turrets and pz38t kits to replace those in the kit, I managed to find some 1/72 wirbelwind turrets as well for the flak wagons from S&S models

Thanks

Mike

Hello Al, I didn't see that you where behind 'The Bridge at Remagen', it would appear then that we encountered each other at last years Peterborough show. I was the one who was impressed by the crashed Lancaster. I wanted to ask what's a good stripping agent to use? I plan on redoing a railroad A1 as 60100 'Spearmint'. 

32 minutes ago, scots region said:

Hello Al, I didn't see that you where behind 'The Bridge at Remagen', it would appear then that we encountered each other at last years Peterborough show. I was the one who was impressed by the crashed Lancaster. I wanted to ask what's a good stripping agent to use? I plan on redoing a railroad A1 as 60100 'Spearmint'. 

Unless the paintwork is bad, I'd just remove the lettering and paint over the top with the BR Green. Careful masking might allow you to retain the black. 

More progress on the 'budget' level Coronation set. 

This time on the loco. 

Hornby's 'Seagull' has been reworked into 'Empire of India'. 

It's had the single chimney fitted, then repeated to match the coach set. Nameplates from Silver Tay and transfer from Fox. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 7