Al's Workbench - LNER 4-8-2 Mountain, Rebuilt W1 and A budget level Coronation set.

Al.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got some free time since lockdown started and made a long over due return to the Coronation Observation Coach. 

Stainless steel lining add. Just need to cut out the rear window and then it’ll be ready for painting. 

BB2B500B-BF8D-45DD-8D69-B071F1B37573.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

7 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Al,

You do realise don't you, that as soon as you've got this train completed Hornby will announce it as a 50th Anniversary Special Release!

Without doubt they will. 

• Like 1

Also been playing around with my Eurostar set to increase the coach rake from 2 coaches to 9 coaches by modifying the standard bogie end to an articulated bogie end.

All the basic cutting done. A bit of tidying up to do, and if it looks ok I’ll crack on with the other 6 coaches. 

AF4BB48C-0F5D-472F-BC9E-32ECAD0CB9CB.jpeg

3A2C42A9-7407-4394-9441-6A3365658477.jpeg

89D3365A-9FAA-4FA0-9E15-D03B0F15C63E.jpeg

EA74EA7F-3B72-44F6-965E-E549E29D5767.jpeg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Eurostar looks good as a cheap (presumably) way of extending the rake. How will you attach the bogie to the modified end? Would converting 1st class coaches be easier as you won’t be left with part of the grill?

On 12/06/2020 at 19:55, stveng said:

Eurostar looks good as a cheap (presumably) way of extending the rake. How will you attach the bogie to the modified end? Would converting 1st class coaches be easier as you won’t be left with part of the grill?

It would be easier to use the 1st class Divisible coaches, but have you tried getting hold of any? There's a couple pairs going for £60+ on ebay right now. So far I've payed an average of £20 a pair for the standard 2nd class coaches.

Continuing the long running LNER theme in this thread, the Eurostar rake will be turned out in a reimagened West Ridings Limited livery.

I'm toying with two idea on train formation. First would be the 14 car North of London formation operated by GNER on their White Rose service. The other would be a 2 twin set 7 car formation with the divisible coaches replaced with a DBFO coach. I'll most likely end up modelling both options.

Class 373.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Al. said:

Continuing the long running LNER theme in this thread, the Eurostar rake will be turned out in a reimagened West Ridings Limited livery.

I'm toying with two idea on train formation. First would be the 14 car North of London formation operated by GNER on their White Rose service. The other would be a 2 twin set 7 car formation with the divisible coaches replaced with a DBFO coach. I'll most likely end up modelling both options.

Class 373.jpg

Blimey, 14 car trains!!

You'll need a garden railway if you want to run that!!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 17/06/2020 at 11:50, Al. said:

Class 373.jpg

Hi looks good so far.

Have you thought of modifying an articulated bogie coach into a buffet coach for one of the 7 car sets?

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/06/2020 at 18:59, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Blimey, 14 car trains!!

You'll need a garden railway if you want to run that!!!

Absolutely agree with this!  I went about buying x8 Mk.4 coaches and a DVT to run with a DC Kits Class 89 I was building to make a complete King Cross-Leeds express... even with the space I have (7m x4m room) it was just an order of magnitude too big.

• 1 year later...
On 02/10/2018 at 07:30, Al. said:

Etched brass nameplates arrived from Silver Tay Models (shameless plug for the company....) and went straight on to Trimbush. She just need a light weathering on the smoke deflectors and she'll be complete.

post-23643-0-62626300-1538461850_thumb.jpeg

What is 6052 in the background?

9 hours ago, Al. said:

Its EM2 'Aurora' in LNER green. There's also 6054 'Juno' in LNER black somewhere there too.

Ah an EM1. I’m kicking myself for not realising that lol, I’ve always wanted one in green. Waiting for the etches when Mike edge gets round to it. 

• Like 1