Al's Workbench - LNER 4-8-2 Mountain, Rebuilt W1 and A budget level Coronation set.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

An interesting bit of modelling there Al.  You don't see indicator shelters modelled very often.

What have you used for the tarpaulins?  They have a convincing, heavy drape.

Are you planning to remove the front coupling?  It's a bit on the chunky side.

An interesting bit of modelling there Al.  You don't see indicator shelters modelled very often.

What have you used for the tarpaulins?  They have a convincing, heavy drape.

Are you planning to remove the front coupling?  It's a bit on the chunky side.

Thanks. I'm pretty pleased with how it's turned out so far.

The front coupling will be off and replaced with a dummy screw coupling. I'll also be adding coal to the tender, followed by a but if weathering.

The tarpaulins are made from lead foil.

2576 White Knight has her non-corridor tender and both are now Apple Green. Give it a couple days for the paint to cure and the black will go on. Then the fun starts with the lining.

post-23643-0-46940500-1529838728_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I've accidentally brought three new A3 locos.
I spotted them on eBay earlier that week at a low starting price. They were ones I'd like to have at some point, but not desperately needed, so I took a chance and put in an opening bid offer on all three assuming I'd be out bidder at some point. Woke up Monday morning to an email that I'd won all three. Now the problem of how would I explain this to Julia.....

Edited by Al.
  • Like 4

Update on a few models.

First Coronach. All the major conversion work is done. This is how she looked in 1931 while, alongside Humorist, took part in trials to improve smoke lift.

There's a little bit of filling to do before the smoke box gets painted. Then I'll run my hand to renumbering her to 2747.

post-23643-0-88196900-1531608050_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-14839000-1531608135_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-63818500-1531608163_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

And finally for today, Papyrus all but finished and ready for to run. Only thing I'm not happy with is the coal in the tender. Once I've got some real stuff, I'll cut the plastic coal out and replace it.

post-23643-0-69804400-1531608755_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

White Knight's tender has been repainted and lined & lettered. The loco is ready for lining too, but due to all the additional pipe work on the boiler, pressfix is going to be way too fiddly , so I've got a set waterslide transfers on order. Another week and she should be done.

post-23643-0-11849000-1531766129_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

My latest latest eBay goodie. I picked up an old Triang EM2 body. It's had a heavy repaint, but apart from that it's in pretty good condition. Once stripped back, I'll be reprinting it in fictional LNER livery. Most likely lined black with Gill Sans lettering.

post-23643-0-29836400-1531940184_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

Tonight's work, 2562 Isinglass in wartime black. Here she looks fresh out of the shop, but once I've finished with her, she'll look absolutely filthy...

post-23643-0-15448900-1532118282_thumb.jpeg

Also picked up another eBay bargain today. A Non-runner B12. Nothing wrong with it other then it had been over oiled. After a strip down and thorough clean, it runs as right as rain.

She's in line for renumbering and weathering. I'm considering pairing it up with something like a J39 and a couple of rail cranes to make up a breakdown train.

post-23643-0-98395700-1532118408_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Al.
  • Like 3

My latest latest eBay goodie. I picked up an old Triang EM2 body. It's had a heavy repaint, but apart from that it's in pretty good condition. Once stripped back, I'll be reprinting it in fictional LNER livery. Most likely lined black with Gill Sans lettering.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Having done a couple of these into BR green and Electric blue, you might consider removing the moulding for the lining that Triang added, which is completely fictitious. This is the rectangle along the body sides between the cabs. I managed it with a flat chisel blade working slowly, and afterwards filled in the vertical bands on the sides with some thin microstrip. The model looks better without the moulded handrails as well, but it will eat into your stock of handrail knobs!

John.

Having done a couple of these into BR green and Electric blue, you might consider removing the moulding for the lining that Triang added, which is completely fictitious. This is the rectangle along the body sides between the cabs. I managed it with a flat chisel blade working slowly, and afterwards filled in the vertical bands on the sides with some thin microstrip. The model looks better without the moulded handrails as well, but it will eat into your stock of handrail knobs!

John.

I'm considering doing both.

Isinglass got weathered today. A total of twenty layers of wash and half a dozen of dry brush in various shades of grey and brown.

She's also had the plastic coal replaced with the real stuff.

post-23643-0-86407100-1532204254_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

My latest Work in Progress. A couple LNER articulated coach sets, converted from some old Hornby Gresley's I had laying about.

Plenty of work do on them before they're finished.

post-23643-0-61144000-1532792091_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

To accompany Isinglass, I've started work on Minoru as she looked in '46 in wartime black and carrying the number 62 under the Thompson scheme.

I'm trying to model her with her old number and livery showing though the black paint as many locos looked at the time.

post-23643-0-22066800-1532876189_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

Time for a little recap on the A1/A3 situation. The count is 10 so far.

1st row, left to right.

2562 Isinglass in wartime black.

2576 White Knight with experimental ACFI water heater.

4470 Great Northern (this one up for sale if anyone interested).

2747 Coronach with cutaway smoke box.

2nd row.

2750 Papyrus as she was on her 100mph run.

2506 Cameronian, the only one that's pretty much straight out of the box.

57 Ormonde fresh from being rebuilt.

530 Minoru also in wartime black and interim number.

3rd row.

(Ignoring Cock o' the North and Tornado)

2751 Humorist with double chimney and winglets.

4472 Flying Scotsman with double tender.

At the back are a N2, V2 and a B12.

Still to go are 2566 Ladas and 2507 Singapore.

post-23643-0-72778300-1532890167_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

To accompany Isinglass, I've started work on Minoru as she looked in '46 in wartime black and carrying the number 62 under the Thompson scheme.

I'm trying to model her with her old number and livery showing though the black paint as many locos looked at the time.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Getting the worn paint look is not that easy. Right now Minoru just looks like I've done a really bad paint job on her....

A long over due update on the Mountain.

She's now been painted, lettered and numbered, and looking pretty smart.

Handrails still to go one along with the crank rods to the rear driving wheels.

Nameplates are on order, and once on, she'll get a light weathering for finish her off.

post-23643-0-29799800-1533245602_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5