Al's Workbench - LNER 4-8-2 Mountain, Rebuilt W1 and A budget level Coronation set.

Al.

• 3 weeks later...

With work on the A4 style mountain nearing completion, I've started looking at A3 style model. Which also leads me on to another question as to what the class designation for the two locos should be? It seems generally accepted that the Mountains would take the 'M' prefix, and I see the A4 & A3 style locos as being to separate classes as per their predecessor, rather then a subclass as in the B17's. Therefore the A3 styled mountain will be called M1, and A4 styled mountain will be the M2.

Right, so with the M2 nearing completion, it's not time to start in the M1.

Starting point is two China build A3 chassis. Stripped down, marked up, cut and glued together to give a 4-8-2 chassis.

All looks good so far. A small amount of cleaning up to do. Then it's re-attach the wheels and see how it runs.

post-23643-0-40595000-1534788093_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-29206100-1534788121_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-61507700-1534788141_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-49287900-1534788166_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-50009500-1534788193_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

With work on the A4 style mountain nearing completion, I've started looking at A3 style model. Which also leads me on to another question as to what the class designation for the two locos should be? It seems generally accepted that the Mountains would take the 'M' prefix, and I see the A4 & A3 style locos as being to separate classes as per their predecessor, rather then a subclass as in the B17's. Therefore the A3 styled mountain will be called M1, and A4 styled mountain will be the M2.

Right, so with the M2 nearing completion, it's not time to start in the M1.

Starting point is two China build A3 chassis. Stripped down, marked up, cut and glued together to give a 4-8-2 chassis.

All looks good so far. A small amount of cleaning up to do. Then it's re-attach the wheels and see how it runs.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Nice work Al.  However, isn't the M prefix is already taken by 0-6-4s?  Or are you suggesting the 0-6-4s would have been elbowed out?  The I prefix wasn't used (probably because it looked like 1).

Nice work Al.  However, isn't the M prefix is already taken by 0-6-4s?  Or are you suggesting the 0-6-4s would have been elbowed out?  The I prefix wasn't used (probably because it looked like 1).

The Old 0-6-4 M class were due to be withdrawn from 1939 onwards. Their operational life was only extended to 1947 due to the war. As the two Mountain class locos where proposed in 1939 with an expected build date around '42, and in an alternative universe where the war did not happen, the old 'M's would have been gone by the time the first Mountain appears, leaving the class designation available to them.

Of course, this is all alternate history stuff.

• Like 2

Lovely work Al and some nice variations on the A1/A3s. But why did you have to model the ACFI water heating equipment? I've got ten Dapol N gauge A3s that have been (being) converted into various A1/A3 including two with Westinghouse pumps but none with the ACFI equipment. You've gotten me looking out for another two now!!!! :)

• Like 1

Would X not have been an alternative class designation - presumably vacant since the last single was withdrawn?I also like the X class being the unknown quantity......

The other alternative would have been 'R'. But 'M' fits in with the Mountain theme.

Lovely work Al and some nice variations on the A1/A3s. But why did you have to model the ACFI water heating equipment? I've got ten Dapol N gauge A3s that have been (being) converted into various A1/A3 including two with Westinghouse pumps but none with the ACFI equipment. You've gotten me looking out for another two now!!!! :)

Lol. Shotover and White Knight to add to your collection.

I've got a couple more A1's in the pipeline. Both due to have Westinghouse pumps fitted.

• Like 1

Lol. Shotover and White Knight to add to your collection.

I've got a couple more A1's in the pipeline. Both due to have Westinghouse pumps fitted.

Indeed! The A1/A3 classes actually had quite a few variations during that period and out of the ten I've got, between these, the two classes, different tenders, etc, no two will be alike once finished. So much for 'standardisation' within the class!!!!

• Like 1

My latest A3. Minoru in wartime black and carrying 531 under Thompson's interim number scheme.

I've tried to get the look of poor quality wartime paint with the original 2561 number, tender lettering and green paint showing through.

All tolled, it's taken 30 layer of washes and drying to get to this point and I'm reasonable pleased with it. It still needs a little bit more to finish off, but that wait until after I've fitted the nameplates.

post-23643-0-59606600-1535126236_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

Sorry, I completely misread your post and thought you'd said bodies for some strange reason.... Hmmm, Raven A2 or a Robinson B4? Maybe even a W1!

The A2 and B4 are both good suggestion. I'll have to take a look at suitable donor bodies.

As for the W1, I've a rebuilt version underway.

attachicon.gif20180720_200041.jpg

Here is my 4-10-2 that I mentioned the other day.

Since this picture was taken the coupling rods between the 3rd and 5th axles have been replaced by the older 1990s style rods.

Granted they might look ugly but they keep the wheels in check.

Also she has recently been coupled to the cd motored tender drive with 4 traction tyred wheels providing traction, a 2nd tender + a parcels coach both fitted with pickups provide the power, the loco itself does not pickup power at all.  This has the advantage of fewer wheels to clean when necessity arises.

Hi Mersey,

Are you aware of this Russian contraption ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4-14-4

Gibbo.

attachicon.gif20180720_200041.jpg

Here is my 4-10-2 that I mentioned the other day.

Since this picture was taken the coupling rods between the 3rd and 5th axles have been replaced by the older 1990s style rods.

Granted they might look ugly but they keep the wheels in check.

Also she has recently been coupled to the cd motored tender drive with 4 traction tyred wheels providing traction, a 2nd tender + a parcels coach both fitted with pickups provide the power, the loco itself does not pickup power at all.  This has the advantage of fewer wheels to clean when necessity arises.

You should get those middle wheels flangeless as to make it run on tighter curves.

Name plates have arrived for the Mountain. It now carried the name 'Thunderer'.

The plates were custom made from Silver Tay Models, who also do a good range of LNER, BR and SR Pacific plates. Average cost is around £6 a pair, with custom ones being a bit more expensive.

I ordering a trial set from the the other month for Papyrus, and after being pleased with the result, placed a follow on order for two sets of custom plates and 8 sets of plates for my A3's.

Contact details are silvertaymodels@gmail.com.

post-23643-0-51396800-1535660095_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

Sliver Tay Models nameplates are spot on.

Just spent the best part of £70 on plates for all my A1's and A3's. Very pleased with the result.

Silvertaymodels@gmail.com or look him up on eBay

Pic below is of 2747 Coronach.

post-23643-0-28466500-1535721402_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Al.
  • Like 4

Name plates have arrived for the Mountain. It now carried the name 'Thunderer'.

The plates were custom made from Silver Tay Models, who also do a good range of LNER, BR and SR Pacific plates. Average cost is around £6 a pair, with custom ones being a bit more expensive.

I ordering a trial set from the the other month for Papyrus, and after being pleased with the result, placed a follow on order for two sets of custom plates and 8 sets of plates for my A3's.

Contact details are silvertaymodels@gmail.com.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Great work on this beast! Does it run?