Al's Workbench - LNER 4-8-2 Mountain, Rebuilt W1 and A budget level Coronation set.

Al.

Post war W1 had Chrome cut out numbers and lettering as fitted to the pre war A4 Coronation Locos (sorry). Railmatch Garter Blue is the best match to the current Hornby Garter Blue shade.

There seems to be several versions of Garter Blue depending which manufacturer you go with. Next time I'm in York I intend to take a RAL chart with me to get an exact match against Mallard.

I wasn't aware the W1 carried stainless lettering. I'll have to research that.

• Like 1

That looks lovely. Mines early war years just prior to being painted wartime black.

I couldn't find any info re the war years for the W1 paint schemes/valances removals history.

The A4's (I believe) were painted Black and the Valances were removed at that time . I would be very surprised if the W1 was treated differently.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

All the projects are looking great, Al. I think I used a similar chassis on my fictional 'A0' project, what I found made a huge difference was swapping the old valve gear for some modern items, dead simple swap but improved it so much by getting rid of the toy-train look.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-X9321-A4-Valve-gear-Set-with-Screws/312250818669?hash=item48b399606d:g:8d0AAOSwK0pbrmQW:rk:6:pf:0

This should be the final batch of A1's/A3's. At a count of 15, I defiantly don't need any more.

post-23643-0-67917200-1540327667_thumb.jpeg

From left to right:-

2567 White Knight, A1 with ACFI water feed heater, still waiting get the boiler lining done.

4473 Solario, reworked to an A1 from the Humorist model. Waiting to be renumbering and renamed.

2571 Sunstar, A1 with Westinghouse air compressor, or it will be once I rework this Humorist model.

57 Ormonde, reworked from the St Simon model. Just needs nameplates and weathering to complete.

2508 Brown Jack, to be finished off in Wartime Black, reworked from the Manna model.

2507 Singapore, reworked from the Cameronian model. Waiting to be renumbering and renamed.

• Like 6

Another project ive been working on is budget level Coronation articulated coach set.

post-23643-0-51720400-1540328123_thumb.jpeg

The start point are a pair of Hornby LMS composite coaches. After stripping down, the coach bodies are marked up and 21mm cut off one end. The chassis were then cut to suit.

post-23643-0-81681800-1540328173_thumb.jpeg

Finally they been reassembled with Gresley bogies and Gresley coach ends.

post-23643-0-13453700-1540328217_thumb.jpeg

Next step will be to clean off the roof and make new coach ends, then alteration to the interiors.

It looks reasonably good so far. The model is not intended to be an accurate copy of the prototype coaches. It's more about capturing the feel of the coach set at a reasonable cost.

• Like 9

An update in the 'rough and ready' Coronation set.

Most of the body work modifications are done on the main eight coaches. It's now time to start on the detailing.

I've also made a start on the observation coach. Using the profile of the A4 front end, I've cut be the rear end of the coach. Once I've dressed it to the right curve I'll remove the roof section and rebuild it.

The other development is a trial run on the stainless lining and livery (bottom right). I'm not 100% happy with it - the garter blue band is too narrow - but without a lot of additional work that going to be difficult to fix.

Just to remind you, this is a budget build to capture the image of the Coronation Set, not an accurate reproduction. For that go and look at LNER Tom's excellent work.

post-23643-0-99290300-1540416788_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Al.
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Looking good so far Al.

One comment, if I may.  The angle of the beaver tail ought to be a little shallower.  Matching the angle of an A4 makes it look a little like the angle on the later re-built version.

I'm interested to know what you are using for the stainless steel lining.

Budget Coronation Coach set update.

One of the things that's been bothering me with using the LMS coaches are the roofs. The LMS models are heavily ridged while the LNER coach roofs are smooth with curved drip gutters. The modeller in me says rub them down flush and add the gutter. But the remit for this project is to turn out the set at minimum cost, so The question was to leave them or not.

After some thought, I decided to go ahead and rub them down flat as, along with the stainless steel lining, this would be one of the defining features of the coach set.

So, after an hour and a half 8 out of 9 coaches are done. I've abandoned one of the brake coaches as I'm not happy with the body alignment. I'll rework this one before going any further.

post-23643-0-11923500-1540712356_thumb.jpeg

On other news, I've made more progress with the Observation coach with the rear beaver tail section of the roof. Still a lot of work needed on this to profile right, but it's moving in the right direction.

post-23643-0-60216400-1540712382_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-42567900-1540712409_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10

You've certainly caught my attention. I'm interested to see how you tackle some of the challenges that lie ahead and how the set turns out. Matters such as square-cornered windows, solebar and underframe fairings, Gresley bogies of a suitable type, what if anything to do to the interiors and so on spring to mind, even if door and window positions are left alone. Seeing just how much has to be done in order to get a "look" that will convince most observers, will be an education.

• Like 1

You've certainly caught my attention. I'm interested to see how you tackle some of the challenges that lie ahead and how the set turns out. Matters such as square-cornered windows, solebar and underframe fairings, Gresley bogies of a suitable type, what if anything to do to the interiors and so on spring to mind, even if door and window positions are left alone. Seeing just how much has to be done in order to get a "look" that will convince most observers, will be an education.

Thanks Graeme. I'm already working on most of what you've mentioned. Interiors is still an item I've not yet decided on. The remit for this is a budget price coach set rather than an accurate model, such as the one LNER-Tom is building, so cost and limited modelling skills required are the main considerations.

Yes, it would be interesting to see the finished rake stacks up against the scale model rake. Maybe we could get a comparison on Grantham one day.

• Like 2

I'm sure you've made the right call with the coach roofs. The LMS ribs, both real and on these models are very noticeable, and on the basis that the roof is the most visible part on most models in action you have to be right.

Funny (peculiar) that LMS ribs were so thick, BR Mk1's welding seams much less so but still visible. I have a theory on the latter that different works had different standards of finish, some almost smooth, others clearly not, and I've never bought into the proposition that they should be removed totally from Bachmann MK1's, preferring matt weathering which acts to tone them down a lot.

Good luck with your worthy project, I always think coaches are a lot more work in reality than they appear at first glance.

John.

• Like 1

A bit more progress on the Beaver Tail Observation coach.

post-23643-0-14504600-1540850313_thumb.jpeg

Rear section reprofiled and skirts added. Next step is to trial run it to debug any clearance issues before adding skirts to the articulated coaches.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I've just had crazy idea - Build Kings Cross throat works as a OO exhibition layout......

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Am I mad....?

Hi Al

I was, back in the 80s I drew the track plan by hand in 4mm scale, scaling up from a large scale OS map. It is feasible, from Gas Works tunnel to the train shed is about 8ft 6ins. Shorter than the trains coming in and out. Going across the station from the tunnel at York Road that connects with the LT widen lines over to the siding that runs along side the buildings in Battlesbridge it widens out to 8ft 6ins. I abandoned the idea when I realised to run it to a representative timetable the fiddle yard would be over twice the size of the scenic part and most of that would be under the station roof and after 30 years research and planning I also realised that I might not finish it before I died.

In my collection of stuff I never had that signalling plan, I have others but that is a good one, it appears to show the changes to the roller blinds when the platforms were renumbered (early 70s?).

I have used the 1977 track plan as an inspiration for my layout Sheffield Exchange.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

Hi Al

I was, back in the 80s I drew the track plan by hand in 4mm scale, scaling up from a large scale OS map. It is feasible, from Gas Works tunnel to the train shed is about 8ft 6ins. Shorter than the trains coming in and out. Going across the station from the tunnel at York Road that connects with the LT widen lines over to the siding that runs along side the buildings in Battlesbridge it widens out to 8ft 6ins. I abandoned the idea when I realised to run it to a representative timetable the fiddle yard would be over twice the size of the scenic part and most of that would be under the station roof and after 30 research and planning I also realised that I might not finish it before I died.

In my collection of stuff I never had that signalling plan, I have others but that is a good one, it appears to show the changes to the roller blinds when the platforms were renumbered (early 70s?).

I have used the 1977 track plan as an inspiration for my layout Sheffield Exchange.

It's the fiddle yards that are stumping me too. The layout scenic section would be 9ft long with two 12ft fiddle yards each side...

Still scratching my head on how to make that work..,

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It's the fiddle yards that are stumping me too. The layout scenic section would be 9ft long with two 12ft fiddle yards each side...

Still scratching my head on how to make that work..,

The hard part is getting the suburban trains from one side of the fiddle yard to the other, unless you have the room to have a loop type yard where you reverse them which could be sat either over the mainline fiddle yard or under it.

Something I wouldn't like to build as an exhibition layout is one where there are more tracks I the fiddle yard and more action there than on the main layout and all my plans for Kings Cross fiddle yards came out doing so. I think we all have seen the exhibition layout with more blank boards hiding the fiddle yard than scenic ones and 5 operators are needed to drive one train.

Something I wouldn't like to build as an exhibition layout is one where there are more tracks I the fiddle yard and more action there than on the main layout and all my plans for Kings Cross fiddle yards came out doing so. I think we all have seen the exhibition layout with more blank boards hiding the fiddle yard than scenic ones and 5 operators are needed to drive one train.

I've seen so many exhibition layouts which are just like that. And in many cases the fiddle yard operation is far more interesting then the scenic part...

• 4 weeks later...

A wuick progress update on the A3 style Gresley Mountain.

The body is coming together nicely. Once I've found a set of superheater covers she'll be ready for undercoating, and then a coat of Doncaster Green.

post-23643-0-14975200-1543176005_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

My latest conversion.

2579 'Dick Turpin', fitted with Westinghouse pump and number on the tender, as she was in 1925.

Reworked from Hornby's Woolwinder model. I'm really please with how this one has turned out.

post-23643-0-71299900-1546011652_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

How's the 4-8-2 progressing? Is it likely to visit the Stevenage show in January?

Now I've got the superheater covers I hope to have it painted, and with luck, lined.

It'll be available to view on request at the Beijiao layout.

Edited by Al.
  • Like 2