Al's Workbench - LNER 4-8-2 Mountain, Rebuilt W1 and A budget level Coronation set.

Al.

Further progress on my Coronation coach set conversion. Coaches A & B now lined and lettered.

Glazing to go back in and the underframe skirts to finish and they'll be ready to join 'Empire of India' on track. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Al. said:

Further progress on my Coronation coach set conversion. Coaches A & B now lined and lettered.

Glazing to go back in and the underframe skirts to finish and they'll be ready to join 'Empire of India' on track. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi Al,

Excuse my ignorance, did these coaches not have valences between the bogies ?

Looking good all the same !

Gibbo.

• Like 1

The ACFI water feed heater kit, as fitted to 'The White Knight' and 'Shotover' is now available. 

The kit is in 4mm/00 Gauge and is designed to fit the current Hornby range of loco drive A1s and A3s, and is shown in the photos below fitted to Hornby's 'Book Law' model. 

The kit includes the ACFI pump, ACFI support bracket, zenith severs tor, boiler feed clear and smokebox mixing chamber. It also come with a pair of etched nameplates for which ever loco you choice.

Brass rod (1mm, 0.8mm, 0.5mm) is required to for the pipe work along with two small bits of 0.25mm plasticard for the smoke box flanges. 

The kit retails at £19.50 + postage. 

To order email Niu Models at niumodels@gmail.com. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

That looks superb! However the outer ends of the twins should be two tone blue as well and the inner ends were probably black:

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/no-45832-west-riding-train-lner-twin-third-class-brake-news-photo/102725431

I know that's the West Riding Ltd but the coaches were identical.

Sorry for being pedantic!

Jamie

1 hour ago, JamieR4489 said:

That looks superb! However the outer ends of the twins should be two tone blue as well and the inner ends were probably black:

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/no-45832-west-riding-train-lner-twin-third-class-brake-news-photo/102725431

I know that's the West Riding Ltd but the coaches were identical.

Sorry for being pedantic!

Jamie

Jamie.

im aware of this, but as this project was about capturing the image of the Coronation set, rather then about creating and accurate model, I thought it was an unnecessary detail. I don't think it detracts from the model. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Al. said:

Jamie.

im aware of this, but as this project was about capturing the image of the Coronation set, rather then about creating and accurate model, I thought it was an unnecessary detail. I don't think it detracts from the model. 

Fair enough.

Between 1931 & 1938 both 2747 'Coronach' and 2751 'Humorist' were the subject of a number of smoke box modifications to improve smoke lift.

Following the success of our ACFI kit for 2576 'The White Knight' and 2580 'Shotover', we selection of conversion kits to all the full range of modifications carried out on 'Coronach' and 'Humorist'. The first to roll of the CAD machine is semi-annular chimney as fitted to 'Humorist' in November 1932.

The kit will be designed to fit the current Hornby Loco drive A3 models, but with some modification, will fit the previous Hornby tender drive and Tri-ang loco drive models.

Kit release is anticipated for late November this year.

Humorist #1.jpg

2.jpg

Coronach.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al

Thank you for the ACFI kits, looking forward to using them.

Your Coronation set looks brilliant, and I love how the beaver tail is coming along. If you wanted ta quick way of improving the A4 a little to bring it up to the same standard as the coaches, you could fit valve gear from the newer super detail models and replace the screw on the centre driver with a hex headed bolt?

3 of the 5 CAD renders of the 2747 Coronach and 2751 Humorist smokebox conversion kits.

The first kit is the vented smokebox as fitted to Coronach between October 1931 and February 1933

The second kit is the dual chimney/vent as fitted to Humorist between April 1932 and November 1932.

And the third kit is the annular chimney as fitted Humorist between November 1932 and March 1933.

The kits will include smokebox door, inclined smoke box top, chimney superheater covers and standard done. They are designed to fit the current Hornby loco drive A3 models, but with some modification will fit the earlier Hornby tender drive and Triang loco drive models.

Two further Humorist kits are in development - Cutaway smoke box with stove pipe chimney and flangeless double chimney. Renders are expected for these two in the next few days.

All five kits will them off for test printing ahead of an anticipated release in late November.

If you would like to register your interest any of the kits, please email us at niumodels@gmail.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Latest model off the workbench. 

The first days of the LNER. A1 No. 1473 ‘Solario’, still carrying its GNR number and with L&NER on the tender. 

Renamed and renumbered from Hornby’s ‘Great Northern model. 

3BF69002-0A98-4AE6-B5D2-23EDE2BE4904.jpeg

221C9031-474C-4612-B526-8D32AA22F2ED.jpeg

• Like 13

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
10 hours ago, redsoldiergreen said:

Hi . As regards your armoured train project ,I have one in the wings also. How did the 9f chassis line up with the access panels etc?
Thanks Martin

It’s not a perfect match, but acceptable. 

7E29A910-B867-4E51-8179-E84C65A313BD.jpeg

DC58CA4C-7171-41E8-9C01-742857E77192.jpeg

• Like 3