WSF/Polyamide - A Discussion

I've thought about using 3D printing to make jigs that you could then build around in something like card or plastic, particularly for something like roof profiles. Not got very far with it though. I'm planning a couple of locos using plastic tube for boilers and a plasticard frame, with 3D printed parts, so that could be one potential answer. Another one could be use of coatings, I've seen some designed to smooth out 3D prints, but they're a bit expensive for me to try at the moment.

On a more positive note, WSF is pretty amazing compared to desktop PLA printers - this came off one at Uni this week that was top of the range a couple of years ago! Those are supposed to be straight lines...

post-25124-0-67079400-1524046105_thumb.jpg

Fromtalking to one well known manufacture/tradr at an exhibition last year, he said his excellent range of kits were not selling that well these days. He is concentrating on other ideas including r2r models.

The problem with any of these discussions is that it tends to be the few to talk the most, and many seem to be competent model builders(or that is the impression they give). It is pretty obvious to me that the rise in better quality r2r has been to the detriment of the traditional kit market. If kits are cheap enouh, basic and easy to build then a lot of people will buy them, but complex kits are only for the few. It is simply not sustainable to continue just supplying those few, without making a lot of sacrifices. Some do, but when they either want a break, are ill, want a holiday , retire or sadly pass away before their time, then there are fewer people prepared to take up the challenge. There may be a few new entrants, but when reality kicks in, many decide it is not worth while. Luckily some kit ranges do get taken over, such as the Parkside ones, and the Cambrian ones, but don't forger Coopercraft. There are other issues than simple manufacture and keeping on top of it.  The original owner of Cambrian has said that there were problems(legal and insrance) exporting to countries such as USA, where he could be liable for problems, even if he had not directly suplied the kit. It is probably something others have either sorted out(pay a large amount for insurance) or ignored it, and so far had no problems.

Having got that of my chest(please don't continue with it, as I have a much broader knowledge and interest in the hobby).

3D printing. I consider that putting aside scatchbuilding(which is a bit of a mixture anyway), then that leaves kit building and r2r. There is a big gap between them. There might be a small interest in developing kits using 3D printed parts, but is the market big enough. 3D printing can be done to order, so no stock to keep, no worries about distriution if you use a company such as Shapeways. Having run a small model shop for a few yearsit was scary to realise just how much money could be tied up in even a small shop, and recent closures of big named High Street stores shows that they are not sustanable in he future.

I may not have done ayscientific study, but my gut feeng from my experience, is that business wise there are a lot of people who want something between a kt and r2r. Companies such as Wills originally did body kits to fit r2r chassis. It made sense, and more people were prepared to have a go building a body kit, knowing that the mode would at least run, even if it did not look perfect. This is also true for 3D printing. Most people want something that works and doesn't just look pretty.

Hoefully I have not put people off. I can, and will carry on. I tend to talk to people, observe people's reactions, and if necessary adapt. I would describe myself as what used to be referred to as an average modeller, not in a negative way as that term is used these day, but because I am somewhere in the middle of the crowd.

Now one material that does not ge as much discussion as others, and is at the bottom of the list offered by Shapeways is PLA. I have noticed that in some cases it is a lot cheaper than WSF, especially for large scales such as O and G1. There is a maximum size, which like FUD rules out some bigger models, but for small locos and rolling stock, is an option, one I will be looking at. I noticed my latest, a complex but small steam loco design in G1 was about a third of the price of WSF, making it worth while considering.

Getting railway modellers to work together is like trying to herd cats. Even model railway clubs and groups seem don't work as well as well organised business teams work. Most people in the hobby are individuals, but thee does need to be some cooperation betwen peole to keep the hobby going. Crowdfunding is starting to be used, but co-operatives could also help the hobby by running real model shops which can supply all that is required ad give face to face advice to tose who ask.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This is WSF, the body was ordered in "WSF - Polished" and the chassis in standard WSF. The body has had some sanding down, still exhibits slight 'pitting' though, but I'm more than happy with it as it's not meant to be a showcase queen. The chassis has had a very light sanding in some areas, but is mostly raw. 

I don't like the idea of using the 3D printing for all the detail, so handrails, buffers etc are separately fitted on this model, which gets around the detail issues and allows me to have more fun modelling it!

attachicon.gifP1000071.JPG

attachicon.gifP1000070.JPG

Tom, do you have further info on this build? I think you have done a cracking job on that, I would love to see a blow by blow account of it's creation.

Bernie

• Like 1

Tom, do you have further info on this build? I think you have done a cracking job on that, I would love to see a blow by blow account of it's creation.

Bernie

Right here! 

It was my first foray into 3D printing, so it's not perfect but I'm happy with it. The only thing I might still do to it is upgrade the gears as I used a poor quality version, but there's more on that at the end of the build thread.

• Like 1

Hornby Midland Compound...

post-33498-0-92846900-1524165588_thumb.jpg

With new tender chassis and, due to a mess up on my part, the splashers in the cab are too thick so need removing in order that the rear wheels will sit properly.

Still, could be worse... could be the G6 I did...

• Like 1

Love the pre-groupies!

I think by now most of you have heard my opinion of WSF vs FUD/FXD enough times so I won't repeat everything.

What I will say is please click my link below and look at the first 9 products on that front page, click on them and there are more pics.

This is what you can achieve with WSF if you put effort in to them.

FUD etc gives a better finish yes but to say WSF is no good depends.

I prefer FUD and especially FXD finish but I prefer WSF price and durability! So I model in both depending on mood and application.

• Like 1

Looks good. I like the separate chassis so that you can choose the gauge, and detail items separately printed to allow customised substitutions.

I can see the possibility of multimedia kits with printed parts for complicated shapes and the usual metal accessories to give a finer detailed appearance. Chassis could be fold-up etches or printed; if the former then soldering will be required. However, the overall price is unlikely to be less than current conventional kits.

• Like 2

Thanks.

I'm working on a new type of chassis entirely. 3D printed ones in the new system both on my own printer and on Shapeways' printers have proved very good and I'll soon be making my 4th revision.

If this perfects it then the whole range will be done. Also saving up for (likely) that Stepcraft CNC machine as I'd like to mill things.

Not revealing much yet though.

Mixed media likely is the best but it always comes down to so many factors you can't please everyone even if you try. I do try but whatever is done won't suit everyone.

Modelling is always like that and us railway modellers are probably the most diverse and opinionated of all modelling types. Not sure that is a good thing. :D

Edited by Knuckles

The SDJR 25a Dazzler in 4mm has so far entered it's 4th year.

When we talk about improvements, we started with just WSF and

FUD from Shapeways now we have FXD and the durability of

HP-NYLON too.

The original project was redesigned to use the N20 type motor with a

gearbox; subsequently available with 60 rpm output on a 192:1 rotor.

- they are plentiful and with considerable savings on cost, space.and the

added advantage of a considerable torque.

Now in just 7cms length of footplate on 14mm Drivers, we also have a clutter

free detailed Cab in 4mm scale - as it should be!

3D printing on commercial equipment is expensive. I did not rush into 3D printing

but first found models that lent themselves to the process. It is in the fine detail.

Noel

Sheave Wheels - the ones with spoke nuts!

GWR Pollen C - c/w Rub-On Transfers  for the 3 pairs.built

GWR Pollen E Pre-1930
GWR Pollen E Post 1930 both Pairs

SDJR 25a "Dazzler" 0-4-2

Edited by Dazzler Fan