Old Farish locos - keep or sell?

Gremlin

I have around 30 locos from the 70s/80s, the Poole era I guess.  They all run fine on DC and the effort of converting them all to DCC is probably not worth the effort.  I have used eBay to sell around ten of them, I have bought the "new" Bachmann/Farish or Dapol versions, but what about the remainder?

They are models that either don't have a DCC version planned or it is some way off in the distance...they have pizza-cutter wheels but still run nicely.  However, I have built a layout that is DCC so they won't get a run unless I convert them.  I made two attempts at conversion using DigiHat on tank locomotives but found the operation to be unsuccessful...almost certainly lack of skill on my part.

So, any suggestions?

So possibly worth £600 before fees on Ebay in total for the remaining 20 locomotives - so would allow you to but about 5 replacements.

Can you make do with 15 less locomotives, if not keep them and find someone who can do conversions.

I can probably make do with 15 fewer...finding someone in Australia who can do the conversions at a reasonable price is the tricky part!

• RMweb Premium

I would agree with selling and upgrading. I went through this process a few years ago, only keeping 2 or 3 that had certain memories. I also took the time to get rid of most of the older stock that I had and purchased new versions of the stock that is relevant to my modelling, rather than just being random. 

Well I am not converting to DCC (some80 locos in total and a small layout, so not really beneficial)

So upgrading depends on the locos and my needs.  I still use the Compound, Crabs and Class 25/3 regularly, and sometimes the Jinty.  I uprated the 101 because my first release (1980?) was always a little iffy.  I am now using easishunt on freight and terminating locals on Portpatrick.  So I have uprated the Std and kit built Fairburn's to new Farish as conversion with a NEM pocket is easier.  I am not uprating the Farish A3 and A4 to Dapol as they are used far less and don't need coupling change.  Also I dislike Dapols prop shaft approach.  Changing a Minitrix Brit for Dapol ensured that.  The Farish B1 looks so much better than my Langley kit did.  Have changed Farish 4F and Minitrix Ivatt mogul for new versions due to appearance of the latter and ease of coupling conversion of the other.  Wagons run on.  Mk 1 coaches now all the latest release as they look so good!  The new Class 08 looks so much better with proper outside frames.  The 20, 31, 47 and 55, and kit 24, 26, 27 replaced so easi shunt could be easily used on one end.  Adaptable for different uses at the club.  So mixed  bag.  But generally I have only changed when there was a good reason, whether relating to ease of coupling changes or a very much better model.  Changing to easi shunt on wagons is usually not difficult, and even older Farish coaches present no real problem.  Some locos can be rather tricky, though I have done the Compound, and a UM 2P.  I uprated the 2 Duchesses because of appearance, though possible later conversion to easi shunt is possible.