New Heljan UK Operations Boss Announced...

John M Upton

How about they do some reruns of the spares sprues from older models, like the 86, if they don't see a market for a rerun or a improved model. Their sprues are excellent ways to improve many older models, and judging by how some have been unavalible almost as soon as the models were released, they must be popular with others as well. As they already have the moulds, just running more of the old sprues off must come down to a easy and cheap way to make monies off of older models that they see no point on reissuing.

Sprues I think would sell.

The 86 bogies/underframe bits

The 47 tanks

The tango cab/tender variations.

Any body any others they think would sell as spares?

Also, as Heljan appear to be able to do smaller runs of different moulds, how about a rerelease of the duffs, but with the different roofs, as used on the first 20 generators, and also 47601/901. I know some people complain about the tubby duff syndrome, but I like them and I do think they look like a duff. But I do think a limited model of 47601/901 would sell, just because it's a prototype and nobody else has done it before, and you can have it in either blue or triple grey.

I’m wondering if the end of JLRT means Heljan might now look at an O gauge Clayton:

- It’s a realistic size for the scale.

- Heljan have made a large number of runs of the 00 model (I’ve lost track, but have they done 20 now?). Which suggests a degree of popularity that’s actually quite surprising.

- I like them (obviously this is the killer argument).

Paul

Apart from congratulating Ben on his new appointment,

surely the best thing to be hoping (wishing) for is, not a

list of new models, but a 'please get the house in order'

situation, ie, resolve the damaged models, and 'I know

nothing' replies!

My request to Ben would be that he gets a grip on two aspects-

1.  The appallingly erratic quality control- I have three Haljan diesels (05, 14 and a railbus) on NO PLACE and am heartily sick of the fact that all three have bits fall off randomly.  Not easy to explain to a punter at a show why the bufferbeam on the diesel they are watching has just fallen onto the track...

2.  The non-centring and undersized NEM pocket on the 05 and 14 in particular, which make exchanging couplings or even replacing hooks that have dropped off in transit vastly more difficult than with any other manufacturer.  Having a pocket with no lateral or vertical control hiding behind a slot in the bufferbeam just won't do.

Heljan are priced towards the higher end of the spectrum but I'm sure their quality is very near the bottom end of the spectrum.

Les

My request to Ben would be that he gets a grip on two aspects-

1.  The appallingly erratic quality control- I have three Heljan diesels (05, 14 and a railbus) on NO PLACE and am heartily sick of the fact that all three have bits fall off randomly.  Not easy to explain to a punter at a show why the bufferbeam on the diesel they are watching has just fallen onto the track...

Heljan are priced towards the higher end of the spectrum but I'm sure their quality is very near the bottom end of the spectrum.

Ben will need the wisdom of Solomon for this one.

I have a limited range of Heljan product (15, 16, 23, 26/0, O2/3, also a class 128 for a cannibalisation project) and taken overall they are a good match to the best of the other  RTR OO currently available that suits my interest. I have previously expressed an opinion that the Heljan range seems to divide sharply: there are good products and then there are 'problem children'. So perceptions of problems in the range will vary widely, dependent on what exactly any individual has purchased.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, Class 56, 58 maybe a 66. Blatant wishlisting but I don’t care lol.

They have done a 58. It is fine. 66 won't happen (hattons) 56? Why Hornby's is good apart from roof fans..... I suspect a stock take of what they have and what they could redo and improve might be a good starting place? The gaps are few and far between? 

Now if Ben would consider an 06!!

Edited by gridwatcher

They have done a 58. It is fine. 66 won't happen (hattons) 56? Why Norby's is good apart from roof fans..... I suspect a stock take of what they have and what they could redo and improve might be a good starting place? The gaps are few and far between? 

... or a class 89. Would supplement all those other one off prototypes....

• Like 1

... or a class 89. Would supplement all those other one off prototypes....

Then again the one off diesel prototypes came after the equivalent production classes were done. There's a lot of production electric traction with multiple class members, extended service life and livery variations with no model, or nothing of current standard. The class 91 a sitting fast moving duck for a start.

An idea for a new model that Heljan could do is the BR MKII Coach as Dapol is doing the MkI's.

It would be an idea to start with Blue and Grey, Regional Railways, Network South East and Intercity liveries for the Class 31/33/37/47/50 late 80's to early 1990's era.

Then the Southern Green and Maroon liveries for the Steam era could come as a later release?

Also, how about some special edition RTC Test Coaches in a similar fashion to what MR did in 4mm scale?

What scale are we talking about?

They have done a 58. It is fine. 66 won't happen (hattons) 56? Why Norby's is good apart from roof fans..... I suspect a stock take of what they have and what they could redo and improve might be a good starting place? The gaps are few and far between? 

Sorry I meant in O gauge.

O is interesting, and will be a question for the new boss.

The market has gotten more crowded with Dapol, Minerva, Little Loco, following Heljan into the market.

But the failure of JLTRT may indicate that the market has reached its limit thus making future items more risky.

• RMweb Gold

O is interesting, and will be a question for the new boss.

The market has gotten more crowded with Dapol, Minerva, Little Loco, following Heljan into the market.

But the failure of JLTRT may indicate that the market has reached its limit thus making future items more risky.

Or just indicated that the RTR market kills the kit market?

Roy

Or just indicated that the RTR market kills the kit market?

Roy

Horses for courses really, I have gone for many Heljan 7mm models but highly rated the JLTRT Class 47 and 40 where Heljan just didn’t do these well. As for the Deltic they did don’t get me started. I’m even presently scratch building as I doubt some models will even see the light of day. So I think there is room for rtr and kits it’s just getting the balance right.

They have done a 58. It is fine. 66 won't happen (hattons) 56? Why Hornby's is good apart from roof fans..... I suspect a stock take of what they have and what they could redo and improve might be a good starting place? The gaps are few and far between? 

They have not done a Class 58 in O Gauge and no class 56 RTR available in O Gauge.

Both only available as kits which the mouldings are out of date and the Romanian Grid is not available!

They have not done a Class 58 in O Gauge and no class 56 RTR available in O Gauge.

Both only available as kits which the mouldings are out of date and the Romanian Grid is not available!

Yes the kits are dreadful and over priced.

• 2 months later...

Wishing Ben well, in his new Role.

Hopefully Customer Service responses will improve.  The 'others' do have problems so Heljan are not alone.

I would like an HST prorotype too, along with the missing railcars.

One of the little changes I hope happens with Ben at the helm now, is a return to form with their wagons. A return of the Cargowaggon would rather be welcomed, especially if a Timber carrying version could be produced as well. I wouldn't mind seeing something like the Rover KSA-A wagons as a follow on from the Cargowaggon either.

Anyway, without wish listing myself, I wish Ben all the best in the new role and Im looking forward to what we can see from a hopefully revitalised Heljan in the future.  

One of the little changes I hope happens with Ben at the helm now, is a return to form with their wagons. A return of the Cargowaggon would rather be welcomed, especially if a Timber carrying version could be produced as well. I wouldn't mind seeing something like the Rover KSA-A wagons as a follow on from the Cargowaggon either.

Anyway, without wish listing myself, I wish Ben all the best in the new role and Im looking forward to what we can see from a hopefully revitalised Heljan in the future.  

Good point about the Heljan wagons. I bought both the coil carrier and the ferry flat at the time and felt they were a breath of fresh air for modern modellers. I have since regressed into transition era but am still conscious of the new products to the market and it seems Kernow Model Centre are shining the light, with the Tiger "white lady" the recently announced IZA pair and now the PRA. Dapol of course with the clay slurry tanker.

If I had to make a wish to Ben, it would be for those distinctive blue Transfesa vans which brought our Spanish onions over to the UK, .  http://www.railalbum.co.uk/railway-wagons/ferry/spain-transfesa-wooden-vans-1.htm

Couldn't let this link slip by whlst browsing !!!

http://www.railalbum.co.uk/railway-wagons/ferry/italy-interfrigo-van-1.htm

Good point about the Heljan wagons. I bought both the coil carrier and the ferry flat at the time and felt they were a breath of fresh air for modern modellers. I have since regressed into transition era but am still conscious of the new products to the market and it seems Kernow Model Centre are shining the light, with the Tiger "white lady" the recently announced IZA pair and now the PRA. Dapol of course with the clay slurry tanker.

If I had to make a wish to Ben, it would be for those distinctive blue Transfesa vans which brought our Spanish onions over to the UK, .  http://www.railalbum.co.uk/railway-wagons/ferry/spain-transfesa-wooden-vans-1.htm

Couldn't let this link slip by whlst browsing !!!

http://www.railalbum.co.uk/railway-wagons/ferry/italy-interfrigo-van-1.htm

There is an excellent new HO model of these Interfrigo fish vans a la Mallaig in the 80s by ACME.... now in a 'reverse logic' method of the Dapol Slurry tanks becoming HO recently, could ACME be persuaded to run these in OO?

• 1 year later...