Govt to ban single use plastic in model trains

I would have assumed that plastic used in a product intended for long term use would be exempt? I mean, which wally is whizzing their models in the bin after using them once?

Remember this is being proposed by the same government ( actually the Civil Service) that gave us the Windrush fiasco, need I say more?

flabbergasted of Calne 

• Like 2

I would have assumed that plastic used in a product intended for long term use would be exempt? I mean, which wally is whizzing their models in the bin after using them once?

Yes, I would suggest 'single use plastics' means stuff intended to be used once then be thrown away - like a plastic drinks bottle, not like a model train.

I think people are panicking unnecessarily.

It will have very little effect on any of us apart from a token ban on things like plastic straws. More than anything it's just a con to increase prices on recyclable items such as bottles and cans. Most of which get put in proper bins anyway. You'll also get the double whammy of the sugar tax and minimum alcohol price on many items as well.

More education on recycling is the way to solve it. Not hammering people financially.

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm not so sure that NOT hammering people financially is the answer... We are all responsible for the waste we all create, and if things were to cost more we *might* move away from the throwaway society.

But then again, looking at the way people treat mobile phones (and they are blooming expensive) I doubt that will happen.

The real answer is a decrease in world population, which will naturally reduce demand for stuff, but I can't see that happing soon, as we still live in this fantasy world of growth or bust (which is probably growth and bust!).

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

More education on recycling is the way to solve it. Not hammering people financially.

Hi

That's ok provided the items are in recyclable packaging in the first place. There is little I can do if I buy something that is wrapped in use once plastic.

This needs to start with the manufacturers rather than the consumers.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.

Surely reducing the amount of plastic that gets used has to be a good thing - although starting on pre-packaged food would be a better place to start; Does anyone really need ready made mashed potato?

I'm going to have to stock up on drinking straws - where else am I going to get my pipe loads from?

Steven B.

I'm going to have to stock up on drinking straws - where else am I going to get my pipe loads from?

Now, if only fast-food retailers could be persuaded to give away brass tubing with their fizzy drinks instead of plastic straws...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Current Hornby is making progress, items such as the recent B12/3 have mucho metal bodywork. And scale diameter all flanged wheels ...

Scale at the flange or scale at the rim?  If one is right the other must be wrong, and it is usual to make the flange scale and the rim underscale as this can be justified by normal wheel wear.  Making the flange overscale has implications for splasher clearance; in any case the splashers are in the wrong place as part of the 00 compromise.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3