BRM May '18 + NEW-LOOK Digital Edition

SteveCole

• RMweb Premium

If you've been on a tube train recently, you'll notice very, very few paperbacks or magazines being read, but loads of people staring into screens. Once, every commuter read a paperback book. You could tell the regulars, they had the thing open within seconds of boarding.

The market is gradually turning digital. I prefer paper, but can see the benefits of both. Warners, with a great, big printing operation as part of the company, will hang on to paper, but can't ignore the future.

Yes you’re right of course. Time moves on . But we don’t need innovation for innovations sake. Sometimes the old ways are just as good. I still marvel at people wondering along the street with the incessant need to talk to people on the phone . What did they do before mobile phones, do we really need to be in constant contact all the time, is the conversation that urgent? As Graham points out though I’ll bet most of the folk on the tube are playing games or on Facetwit and not reading digital magazines. Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is there a generational thing going on here?

I can't help but think that most of the readers of the magazine are old enough to be the parents of the people producing it.

If reading BRM in public is too embarrassing , then I am sure there are other, much cooler, publications, which could be used to disguise the magazine.

I am sure the good folk of RMWeb could think of a few suitable titles.....

• Administrators

Before this descends into a crescendo of "We don't want new things!", can I point out that page 36 of this issue features a proper plan, and an old one at that. People always say they want plans, let's see how many models are made from it. If popular, there are possibilities for more...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't think that anybody is actually against new things.

There has always been change and there always will.

I am just not too keen on people who like the new way getting extra content and articles compared to people like me, who prefer the more traditional experience of buying and reading a magazine.

If there are good articles on interesting layouts like Clarendon don't they deserve to be seen by more than a fraction of the people getting the magazine? If it is a conventional written article with photos, rather than video or something interactive, why penalise readers of the traditional magazine?

I would be interested in the reason for that particular decision, making that article digital only.

• Like 2

If, as Phil suggests, the publisher sees the long term future in digital editions and not paper copies, it makes sense to create incentives through the form of differentiated product to encourage people readers to switch.

I liked the new edition - much more of a digital magazine than a PDF of a hard copy. Some good content and nice to see exploration of newer techniques such as 3D printing.

David

• RMweb Premium

If I was to subscribe to the digital version of BRM and in the future for whatever reason I cancled the service, would I still have access to all the digital issues I had purchased as I would if I had the paper copy.

Eltel

I understand that since we use Pocketmags for the digital editions, it's not practical. We only supply one digital edition to Pocketmags - they handle the distribution and we don't, and can't have because of data sharing restrictions, a list of digi subscribers.

The idea of offering a shared digi/paper subscription has been discussed many times, but isn't (at the moment) practical. If we developed our own digi App then this might change, but then everyone would complain that they had to download a new App for every different title and we'd have to pay for development and support costs rather than leaving that to a company who does this all the time.

GR was on pocket mags.

Firstly, congratulations to everyone involved in the latest digital edition. Long may your imaginative approach to publishing continue and prosper.

Is there a generational thing going on here?

Absolutely not! I am very firmly in the older/long retired generation, but still enjoy every scrap of latest technology I can get my hands on! That's been my philosophy for most of my life, and reaching my dotage is no reason to stop now.  The differences of opinion expressed on this and similar topics every time any new technology is discussed are attitudinal, not generational.

If I was to subscribe to the digital version of BRM and in the future for whatever reason I cancled the service, would I still have access to all the digital issues I had purchased as I would if I had the paper copy.

Eltel

Yes, you would. Also, once downloaded, you can read any issue without internet access.

But we are talking about BRM here. It's not always the case. With "RM" for instance, you do lose access to everything you paid for ("rented" in their view) once you stop your subscription. Hence I never buy that one.

Edited by Kiwi

• RMweb Premium

Firstly, congratulations to everyone involved in the latest digital edition. Long may your imaginative approach to publishing continue and prosper.

Absolutely not! I am very firmly in the older/long retired generation, but still enjoy every scrap of latest technology I can get my hands on! That's been my philosophy for most of my life, and reaching my dotage is no reason to stop now.  The differences of opinion expressed on this and similar topics every time any new technology is discussed are attitudinal, not generational.

Yes, you would. Also, once downloaded, you can read any issue without internet access.

But we are talking about BRM here. It's not always the case. With "RM" for instance, you do lose access to everything you paid for ("rented" in their view) once you stop your subscription. Hence I never buy that one.

Thanks Kiwi

Although you say the magazine downloads will remain after you cease subscription I would like official confirmation from BRM

I subscribed to digital RM in the past and was not happy that I lost all my paid for issues.

I believe many more people will subscribe to digital publishing if this shady area is cleared up and there is a standard of practice across all digital publishing.

Secondly a user friendly digital archive so you can easily access all past material.

Eltel

Thanks Kiwi

Although you say the magazine downloads will remain after you cease subscription I would like official confirmation from BRM

I subscribed to digital RM in the past and was not happy that I lost all my paid for issues.

He's quite right Tel; he beat me to it.

You do retain access to any copies of BRM on Pocketmags after purchase whether it's a single issue purchase or an ongoing subscription.

Here's a free sample for you to test https://pocketmags.com/british-railway-modelling-magazine/free-sample-issue

• Administrators

I don't think that anybody is actually against new things.

There has always been change and there always will.

I am just not too keen on people who like the new way getting extra content and articles compared to people like me, who prefer the more traditional experience of buying and reading a magazine.

If there are good articles on interesting layouts like Clarendon don't they deserve to be seen by more than a fraction of the people getting the magazine? If it is a conventional written article with photos, rather than video or something interactive, why penalise readers of the traditional magazine?

I would be interested in the reason for that particular decision, making that article digital only.

The Clarendon article was first published in the Spring 2017 issue of BRM, both on paper and digital. This article is a repeat - we could have repeated it in the paper issue too by dropping one of the other articles, then I'm guessing people would be complaining about this too. 

As for all the discussion over the age range of readers - another benefit of digital is that you can zoom in on a page for larger text and photos. Since greater age often goes hand-in-hand with poorer eyesight, this is a benefit.

Me too. That's when I switched to PocketMags. They provide the same service for BRM, Hornby Mag, and Model Rail. I have a mixture of subscription and occasional purchases for each. It's extra handy to have them all easy to access in one place, and on phone, tablet or desktop whenever I want them.

RM is the only one to avoid.

Glad to see Andy has now confirmed. I got in first through the benefit of being 12 hours ahead :-)

Edited by Kiwi
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Digital copy is definitely the way that publishing is moving...  but it is important to remember your target demographic.  Its surprising how many of the older generation don't even have e-mail, let alone a tablet.  

There is something much more tangible about a magazine.  There are still copies around of the RM editions that I read as a kid over fifty years ago.  I would be surprised if digital content is kept available for anywhere near that length of time.

A magazine can be passed on, unlike digital content.  So it can be read by people who wouldn't normally buy it (some might say this is a plus for the digital publishers) - but some of those casual readers become future subscribers if they like what they see.  Its how I became a BRM subscriber.

I used to run a government programme that produced annual publications, they were sent out regularly each year to a specific audience... quite a costly process.  Then we had a directive to move everything online, it was intended to save costs and allow more regular updating of the copy, including guidelines and regulations.  The only problem was, this new approach meant that things kept changing for the recipients.  They might read something one day, but it could be changed shortly afterwards and they would be ignorant of it.  Also, if you need a hard reference copy (for example, electronic devices are banned in some examination rooms) then the costs shifts from the issuing organisation to the recipient, who has to print it out themselves.  The net result is that for the issuer, there are cost savings and increased convenience.  For the recipient, there is increased uncertainty, increased costs and added inconvenience.  Yes, it is less of an issue for a leisure publication, but there are parallels.

I think if your media has a younger target audience, digital is definitely here and now.  But with the older demographic, you will struggle to get the uptake... it is the publications with the better hard copy versions that will win out... for a while yet anyway.

• RMweb Premium

The Clarendon article was first published in the Spring 2017 issue of BRM, both on paper and digital. This article is a repeat - we could have repeated it in the paper issue too by dropping one of the other articles, then I'm guessing people would be complaining about this too. 

As for all the discussion over the age range of readers - another benefit of digital is that you can zoom in on a page for larger text and photos. Since greater age often goes hand-in-hand with poorer eyesight, this is a benefit.

In that case I withdraw my remarks. I didn't realise that articles were repeated and I had wrongly thought that it might be a follow up of some sort. I am now extra pleased that I didn't buy the digital edition just to get that article.

Could somebody who has the May magazine let me know what will be in next months on the next issue page? I am taking out a subscription but would like an idea if possible of what will be in the June issue so I know whether to start with that one. Thanks.

Could somebody who has the May magazine let me know what will be in next months on the next issue page? I am taking out a subscription but would like an idea if possible of what will be in the June issue so I know whether to start with that one. Thanks.

Ingleborough Junction

Kent & North Wales Light Railway (16mm NG)

Modelling Faringdon

Twin-scale cakebox

Build a Salmon wagon

New Class 02 diesel kit tested

My subs copy just came in the post today and hope it continues for a long while yet, I won't go digital as I usually try and limit "screen time" before bed and I read my copy before I turn over and go to sleep.

• RMweb Premium

Ingleborough Junction

Kent & North Wales Light Railway (16mm NG)

Modelling Faringdon

Twin-scale cakebox

Build a Salmon wagon

New Class 02 diesel kit tested

My subs copy just came in the post today and hope it continues for a long while yet, I won't go digital as I usually try and limit "screen time" before bed and I read my copy before I turn over and go to sleep.

Yep that the other reason for using paper mag. If you drop off it’s easier dropping the mag rather than a tablet. These computers will never catch on you know.

• RMweb Gold

With "RM" for instance, you do lose access to everything you paid for ("rented" in their view) once you stop your subscription. Hence I never buy that one.

Hi Kiwi

That's not quite right. I had a subscription for a couple of years which finished in 2016. I can still read the magazines that were downloaded/synced during that subscription period. What I can't do is download them again if for some reason I have to reset your tablet, or upgrade to a different tablet.

On the up side, if you subscribe, you get access not only to the issues made available during your subscription period, but also to all of the back issues of the magazines digitized since January 2011. 

At some point I may well subscribe again, and be able to catch up on a couple of years' worth of magazines.

cheers

Jason

As a modeller of advancing years, digital magazine subscriptions will never be for me.

However, after many years subscribing to various model railway magazines, I am now much more selective on which model railway magazine I consider buying each month ~ if any ~ unless I can flip through a copy in the newsagent first.

Also. those model railway magazines that regularly shrink-wrap the magazine because of so called "freebies" that I don't want, rarely get my custom.

I really can't see digital subscriptions outstripping the print requirement for many, many years to come, provided publishers have the same content on both platforms.

What would alienate me, would be if the publisher regularly provided items in the digital version that the buyer of a print version was prohibited from accessing unless they made further payment. There are ways that publishers can easily verify if the customer has bought a print copy, by simply asking at log-in to quote from a certain page in the current issue, for example. I think BRM for one, should consider that suggestion.

As someone who tries hard to get the younger generation interested can I just throw in a couple of observations.

For the past three years we have given away a "goody bag" to each youngster old enough to read the contents when they visit the South Notts model railway show.  This contains three or four recent railway modelling mags (one of each of BRM, RM, MR and Hornby if there are enough) plus a prototype mag and a DVD as far as possible.  We can't give away digital mags in a goody bag like that very easily.

Feedback from parents attending who'se child gained a goody bag in previous years suggests that-

a) the kid does generally keep the mags for a good few months and look at them fairly often, and 

b) they study them in a way they do NOT study things that come to them on their computer/tablet/phone.

This brings me to think that printed mags may actually have the edge over digital when it comes to the bringing on the next generation of modellers.....

As a final anecdote, a group I sing with has a number who get their vocal scores digitally.  This year each has been rushing to buy a printed score as we are making cuts and alterations to the music and it is almost impossible to annotate a digital edition.  Has anyone tried to mark off the steps they have followed in a "how to" article read on screen, or annotate it for future use?

Lust a few thoughts

Les

Totally unrelated - Andy Y's photography continues at its usual amazing standard- showing up how the only bit of Rise Park that missed the attention of Alf and the vacuum cleaner was the station platform.

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Before this descends into a crescendo of "We don't want new things!", can I point out that page 36 of this issue features a proper plan, and an old one at that. People always say they want plans, let's see how many models are made from it. If popular, there are possibilities for more...

It's on Page 38 of my copy ;)

As for paper copies versus digital alas my computer does not work when I take it off the desk and it's 'shore supply' and is too big to hump around.  And all the ones you can more readily hump around weigh more than paper copies and take up more space when travelling than paper copies so are far less convenient for me.  The point about zooming in is quite a fair one but while you're looking at an enlarged small part of a page you can't see the rest of it which can make referencing one part of an article to another or to an illustration rather more cumbersome than helpful.  I'm not necessarily a digital luddite having been working with desktop size computers for well over 30 years and using electronic mail systems for a similar period but I still find times when a printed copy can be far more convenient for reading and study

I enjoyed this months issue, a very good read so far, IMO better than the last couple of issues. I also found the HMRS feature on the dvd very good, and I always thought I had a lot of books!!, i'll have to show SHMBO that my collection really isn't that big!

• RMweb Gold

So I tried the digital edition. Long story short, I went out and bought the print edition as the content is really good this month and I did want to actually read it.

Various issues with the app trying to get it to work, on one device it is trying to force me to link it to an MS account. No thanks. Text is fuzzy on double page mode, functionality of the app is very limited, video content needs wifi and can't be downloaded with the mag (no use a commuters like me - shouldn't need constant wifi to access already paid for content). Overall no real advantages over print and many disadvantages. Needs to match functionality of Acrobat Reader for me to use it. How do we print off the plan on p.38 for example?

I read on the train, so I chuck 1 magazine in my work bag and keep it there until it is read, then swap it for another. Very convenient, no charging things or messing about or downloading or whatever. Magazine works now and will do so forever.

For those who want to have a go the following may help:

If you don't have a Pocketmag account, try downloading the app and registering an account. On the Windows version you get a free magazine (from a limited selection)

In terms of purchasing BRM, put the mag into a basket (having created an account and logged in) and leave it overnight. You may find 5% off the next day in your email as they chase you to complete the purchase - does it work with subscriptions, don't know, but worth a try! Quite a common trick online, so for non-urgent purchases create a basket and leave it.

If anyone knows why on my Win10 notebook it won't let me use the Pocketmag app without linking it to a Microsoft account, do let me know. Not wasting more time trying to find out but if there is an easy solution will give it a try.

That said, despite model railways being my job, I'm still loath to read a magazine in public. Partly because people think you are a bit odd, and partly because at least some of those who wouldn't, but would take it as a cue to come over for a chat, ARE a bit odd. Reading on a device though solves the problem. 

I may be unusual in openly reading railway magazines in public. However I don't get approached by people, odd or otherwise. But then I'm not a top celebrity modeller!!