The newly announced Bachmann 3F tender loco

Guest Phil

• RMweb Gold

I think Coachmann identified this weakness a few pages back.

Depending on whether the centre axle is sprung or allowed to drop below the level of the outer axles wlll determine if it's 16ft 6ins wheelbase will stall the engine on Peco lnsulfrog diamond crossings. The Bachmann Jinty 0-6-0T had to be modified slightly to prevent it stalling but the pesky rigid-chassis Hornby LMS 2-6-4T's were something of a problem and demanded carefully positioned track pins around the diamond.

I have a bachman Jinty (converted to EM using Gibson Wheels) which behaves in a very similar way on certain parts of the goods yard where the incline into the yard levels off and bottoms out - I know that the pickups engage the tyres, but it obviously loses contact at these points...

Did you increase the sprung centre axle travel on the 3FT chassis? A little extra downward movement by cutting shallow recesses in the keeper plate sides makes a world of difference on uneven track.

Sadly, Bachmann never seem to have had much recognition for putting sprung driven axles on their steam locos, and this feature has been gradually disappearing from newer introductions to the range. The WD had two sprung axles, the 9F just one, and the latest of the eight coupleds I have (G2A and ROD) none at all.

Regarding the Bachmann 3F 0-6-0T, I released the driving wheel keeper plate and pushed in a strip of 20thou plastikard either side of the middle axle then tghtened up the keeper plate. This allowed the middle drivers to drop and make electrical contact with the rails when the outer drivers were on Insulfrogs.

Did you increase the sprung centre axle travel on the 3FT chassis? A little extra downward movement by cutting shallow recesses in the keeper plate sides makes a world of difference on uneven track.

Yeah Ive introduced a bit of play, but only a little Im very cautious about fouling up an otherwise rather sweet running loco when its on the mainlines. Hence the High level chassis!

How do these work ? I have never heard of this before. Is it sort of an ''electronic flywheel'' ? It makes you wonder why all locos are not fitted with these at the factory. How much do they cost ?

Hi Brian. Yes, it is indeed like an electronic flywheel. The Zimo decoder has a capacitor in the box with it that needs to be soldered on to two eye-strainingly small solder pads, and this retains enough charge to get it over small 'dead' areas on the track. It's not a perfect solution, but it works OK for those of us who lack the nerve to carry out the operations on the loco described above, or the willpower to improve the track condition.

I used the Zimo because it was the only 21-pin decoder with 'stay alive' that I could get hold of at the time.

Not Now!!!!

"We thought you may like to know that an item you have asked us to notify when it arrives into stock, has had some information about its release date added or updated.

Bachmann UK 31-626 Class 3F 0-6-0 43762 in BR Black with early emblem. £62.00

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Tuesday 13th December 2011"

Oh my aching wallet... :help:

31-626 arrived at John Dutfield's in Chelmsford this very morning!!!

Regarding the Bachmann 3F 0-6-0T, I released the driving wheel keeper plate and pushed in a strip of 20thou plastikard either side of the middle axle then tghtened up the keeper plate. This allowed the middle drivers to drop and make electrical contact with the rails when the outer drivers were on Insulfrogs.

Thanks for that tip Coachman. I have a Hornby 08 and Bachmann 03 that I can't get to run dead slow over pointwork - I will give it a try.

John

Not Now!!!!

"We thought you may like to know that an item you have asked us to notify when it arrives into stock, has had some information about its release date added or updated.

Bachmann UK 31-626 Class 3F 0-6-0 43762 in BR Black with early emblem. £62.00

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Tuesday 13th December 2011"

Oh my aching wallet... :help:

I feel your pain! Just got a request from Rails of Sheffield for a Paypal payment. My 31-626 should be here soon!

I see I reserved this model in May 2010. Methinks the wait will be more than offset by the quality of the model.

Re the tender brake gear.

It is in the same plane as on other models, but because the tender frame has larger cut outs and the brake shoes are visible within these cut outs, to me it looks worse. I have an urge to replace it wheras on a K3 for example I don't.

Bernard

Guest Max Stafford

Just a quick one folks. I've got a late crest one but I really fancied an early one. Anybody up for a swap? Battery tested only, otherwise unused.

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

Aye, I'm just being daft Larry. Been a long day and I think my head's partly unscrewed! :sclerosis:

I think I'm big enough to manage a new tender crest!

What was I thinking! :sarcastic:

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

post-11377-0-62663400-1324033296_thumb.jpgpost-11377-0-22150600-1324033389_thumb.jpg

Postal special from Liverpool arrived 07.45 this morning! I was hardly awake, but gratefully accepted package.

Thanks Hattons and Royal Mail.

Christmas may now commence!

I was also hardly awake when I took the shots (I hope) accompany this post.

Cheery Regards,

John :stinker:

I was in KS Models this very lunchtime, and a courier entered the shop with a Bachmann parcel, including some LMS liveried 3Fs, so they are definitely in the UK. Those were accounted for by pre-orders though, so the shop won't have shelf stock (until a subsequent delivery, and I have no idea if he has more pre-orders waiting fufillment).

Oh, and it looked just like a 3F carrying LMS livery. :angel:

An early crest version is now doing it's test laps, and I like it very much in all respects. Was a while before I spotted the fall plate folded down behind the dragbox, very inconspicuous. Think I am going to have to tinker with the loco to tender link to get it close enough, an extra hole in the link probably. There was a 15" gap between the handrails of the cab rear and tender platform, and the closest approach I can get on the model is 6.5mm, which is visually oversize.

Think I am going to have to tinker with the loco to tender link to get it close enough, an extra hole in the link probably.

The link between loco and tender is like an ani-loose. Just loosen the tender screw sufficient to push the second hole under the screw then tighten it. It's very close coupled though.

Archived