Intermodal in P4

• 2 weeks later...

Today the construction is starting, one board of the four to start off with to test all the parts. The cranes, traction motors, electronics, computers, software, movements of the containers from land and ship, and anything else i've not thought of.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Rather than go down the usual wood frame baseboard construction and mess about with dowels and sockets to get the joints smack on, i remembered i had bought some aluminium bed frames from ikea years ago for £2 ish each. I bought eight which was all of them that were left, if for nothing more than the ally sectional framework thinking i could make some machine enclosures for my big mills. 

They measure 64" x 80" in old money, 1.6m x 2m in metric and are "L" shaped extrusions and have steel angle brackets for the corners. There are short legs that finish off the corners, which can be added too, to increase the length for a workable height.

Here's a pic of the frames set out.

post-30140-0-29039500-1532883947_thumb.jpg

Here's a close up of the corner posts

post-30140-0-90458900-1532884064_thumb.jpg

Edited by rdr
  • Like 1

Hi

Reading your thread with interest because modelling the ship to shore intermodal activities is something I've wanted to do for some time.

If you're not aware already, John Wiffen of Scalescenes has what he calls a "feeder" container ship available in several colours and that measures out at approx 1m long! For details of the build check out the Wynard Lane blog linked to from the Scalescenes website.

John also does a Freightliner crane and a selection of containers. All of these are in card!!

I've been busy researching STS cranes and they are big. Selective compression might be the order of the day for modelling, especially in 4mm/foot! I stumbled across a ship build on an HO layout which is awe inspiring - if I can find the direct link I'll post it into this thread if you think it might help.

Good luck - I'll be keenly watching your developments as I will not be able to produce anything like what you are attempting!

Edited by SteveyDee68

Thanks Stevey, I'll have to look for that one. Have you seen the Deans Marine Fairwind, it's a smallish container ship but looks the part. I'm planning to have two of these on Intermodal unless i fancy scratch building them.

just had a nose at the scalescene kits, i'll have to try one of them.

I contacted John after downloading the blue ship, suggesting a red version to allow a "Manchester Liners" vessel, after one of the railway mags carried suggested plans for a Manchester Ship Canal/Trafford Park inspired layout, and he promptly produced it! (Also many chemical tankers have a red hull so another ship possibility)

I am trying to work out how to widen John's ship to five containers wide ... it is so well designed that so far I haven't had any success! The Hairy Viking is a good thread to read if going down the scratch building route for a larger vessel, although it might be easier to adapt the superstructure/bridge from John's kit than build it in Lego!

Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

i've made up a box using the leftover ally sections for the now 5 x 1600mm x 1000mm baseboards to transport them in my estate car, i just need to tweak the sizes a fraction to get it all in.

I'll order at least one of the ships and the gantry crane, it'll need a fair bit of modding but it's a good start.

Edited by rdr

Further on the sides have been trimmed down to finished length and the top fixed board has been aligned, also one of the frames is slotted in.

post-30140-0-32907900-1533722307_thumb.jpg

Edited by rdr
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks like the boot lid won't fully close, is that ok?!

The sides have been shortened from the "in-car" pic.

Once the layout is in the car though, where does all the stock go?

• Like 1

The pic in post 34 was to make sure the frames fit correctly, and yes they are a bit longer than they need to be. The finished length fits perfectly and holds the box in place quite well, and is long enough to have an end plate to keep all the layout boards firmly in the box. 

The first three slots from the bottom are for the scenic boards one, two and three and the last one holds board four, the first half of the traverser. The fifth board is fixed to the top of the box and is the second half of the traverser, so the box becomes the storage and the stand for the layout. Each frame will also have two cross braces to support the layout surface, giving it a lot of strength and stiffness.

I'm currently designing a set of swing down legs that will be mounted on the side of the box and will keep the box at the required height. I've also designed a set of wheels in case the whole thing needs to be moved on it's side or end.

Each layout board has removable legs and will have a support on one end for the next board to keep everything perfectly aligned.

The stock will be kept in purpose built boxes that will take up the space alongside the layout in front of the wheel arches next to the rear doors, the ships bridge, the cranes and computer will be kept on the front passenger seat.

PS. the wooden slat and crossbar are there for support in construction only.

Edited by rdr

For those with Templot, here's the basic design. The lower spur is the station and the upper spur is the container yard, and between the two is a dock, this will make the layout viewable from either side. I had thought of running the freight and passenger lines in through two different tunnels rather than using the three way point, but i think this way gives a more curvy look and makes the traverser easier to operate. The traverser has 2900mm long roads with fixed 300mm extensions at both ends to hold locos.

The station can hold a full length hst set and the container roads hold a similar length.

intermodal e-e 6.box

Edited by rdr

All the layout frames are to size and have been tested in the box. Next job is the end door and this has to be structural so when closed it makes the box solid.

post-30140-0-91749900-1533865433_thumb.jpg

Edited by rdr
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

a few slight changes to the track plan, a more simplified layout that flows a lot better. Added is a run around in the container yard and the station has a more smooth flow. Gone are the head shunts and this has opened up areas for container storage and parking for the station and container yard.

I think i fell into the trap of trying to have too much in too small an area, and the new plan hopefully works better.

Getting into a bit more detail, the dock has been shortened to house just one ship to keep the water area in one board, and in the plans you can see the 5 equal boards marked out.

The first two house a 2.9m traverser that has a 320mm static end for loco storage. The third board is the entrance to the container yard and station and has the second loco storage area for the traverser, The fourth holds the first half of both the container yard and station and the fifth board has the rest of the yard, the station and also the dock.

The upper plan has the rough plan of the station area, dock and container area added.

Time to start construction, as i can't think of anything else to change. Anyone have any thoughts of changes that could be made to improve it, please shout them out, i won't be offended.

post-30140-0-86198900-1537142405_thumb.jpg

Edited by rdr
  • Like 1

You could follow the prototype, and replace the run-round facility with a traverser. This has been done at the newest terminal in Felixstowe:- https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Felixstowe/@51.9694598,1.2877233,283m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x47d97635581d89a3:0x821bdd4b6b3e6df0!8m2!3d51.961726!4d1.351255?hl=en

Video of it in action on youtube too. (ignore all the noise, it was a very windy day (really should go and try and get a better one))