Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Furness Railway Track plans Help!

I'm wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

I have a space in the loft above a 00 layout I am to build that will be 15 foot end to end in P4. I'm thinking of doing a Furness layout as I've been making Furness engines for a while and want somewhere proper for them to womble along.

The issue I have is finding a suitable track plan.

I have 5 books on the Furnesss that have been a great read and reference for various things but as track plans go there are only a small hand full

and most the locations are just too big.

Does anyone know what book I need or what website to go to in order to scour various location plans?

I have stripped Google and Duckduckgo as best I can with searches such as Furness Railway Track Plans / Signal Diagrams et al and only found a few.

It doesn't have to be the Furness Railway, could be one of the joint railways too, just anywhere you would expect a Furness train to be.

Whether I go this route or not I still do not know but if I can find suitable ideas maybe. If anyone can help great. :)

Edited by Knuckles

I would go the the nls website. It's how I produced the track plan for Eskdale Green. Depending on what your after there were a number of light railways that were proposed in the Furness' area but never built. Conston to Ambleside, Ladysike to Ambleside via Hawkshead, Kendal to Hincaster/Arkholme.

Marc

I would go the the nls website. It's how I produced the track plan for Eskdale Green. Depending on what your after there were a number of light railways that were proposed in the Furness' area but never built. Conston to Ambleside, Ladysike to Ambleside via Hawkshead, Kendal to Hincaster/Arkholme.

Marc

• Like 1

"British Railways layout plans of the 1950s Volume 6: West Coast Main line and branches" published by the Signalling Record Society in 1993 has sketch plans for  all of the stations on the old Furness Rly and the rest of the Cumbrian coast lines.

Edited by CKPR

• RMweb Gold

Gavin - Have you seen the track plan for Piel Island? Compact, simple, attractive buildings. Would work nicely in P4...

I'm Imagineering a branch line from the Ulverston & Carnforth  main to Cartmel, but I am tempted by Piel Island. I'm away from my source of plans (by about 2000 miles / 4 days) but I'll look it up for you on Friday.

There was also a plan re route the Furness main line the first stage was actually built getting as far as Priory station. The line was to continue to barrow avoiding lindal dalton bank and the mining in the area. There is earth works still in existence running from Priory to Bardsea. Not sure why the project hit the buffers.

Marc

• Like 1

Many thanks for all your help, that map tool is a boon! I found it just before your post though on Scalefour but I think we should all have a look at it as it is an amazing find. So glad I have found it.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=54.2008&lon=-3.0634&layers=168&b=1

That mentioned book, volume 6 I think I might try and buy as it sounds very useful and could be a good read either way.

I have contacted the Cumbrian Railway Society but not regarding track plans so if I settle on anything and need more info I'm sure they'll have something.

Piel Island isn't something I want to model sadly, it is smaller yet I feel the details are not what I have in mind, then again I have only seen a few pictures of it. If/when I settle on anything I'll update the thread. Might be a year or so though!

Edited by Knuckles

Many moons ago the Railway Modeller published a number of FR track plans. The ones I recall were Coniston, Foxfield, Greenodd and Lakeside. However, I have no idea which editions featured these plans. Probably way back in the 1960s or 1970s.

• Like 1

Many moons ago the Railway Modeller published a number of FR track plans. The ones I recall were Coniston, Foxfield, Greenodd and Lakeside. However, I have no idea which editions featured these plans. Probably way back in the 1960s or 1970s.

I've checked my RMs for 1963 - 1967 and can only find Lakeside (May 1965 p126-127). I recall that the others were in the 1961 & 1962 volumes, which, needless to say, I gave away a few months ago. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hey Gavin -

Looking for something else entirely I came across this blogsite by one of the chaps who built the 3mm scale Furness-inspired "Lakebank".

Track plan by Iain Rice is included in the blog. Lovely layout, too.

https://moorestonemodeller.wordpress.com/category/layouts/lakebank

Might be about the right size for you..

• Like 1

Looks good. It's sort of the thing I'm after. I really would like to model a Furness prototype that I like if it can be squeezed in though. I've been finding those interactive OS maps a super boon so far. Awesome tool.

Piel would be an excuse to run your E1!  Both the place and the loco are on my list!

The Furness Railway, A Recollection by K J Norman has several of station track plans, reproduced small, but with a scale.

You might curve and compress, say, Foxfield into your space, if you want a mainline location.

• Like 1

A small through location is what I'd mostly like yet a small terminus would be more realistic in only 15' overall length yet the Furness seems to lack small terminus locations so far!

I'll look at Foxfield again. Thanks for the book tip off. :)

I'd agree with the suggestion of Foxfield, main line and Coniston branch plus the prospect of some out-of-the-ordinary goods workings, Kirkby-in-Furness slate, hematite hoppers or Coniston copper ore comes to mind.

Guy

• Like 2

Just had a other look at Foxfield.

I can't see how it could realistically be squeezed into a 2' x 15' P4 layout. That's the overall length not just scenic bit.

The junction is what makes it difficult too unless it could provide a good scenic break at what looks to be a bridge. Even if so, as a through station there would need to be two fiddle yards 4' long minimum each, that'd give 7' for the actual scene, and it just wouldn't fit in. Especially with P4 points.

Looks an interesting plan though.

:-/

Edited by Knuckles
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The 2' width may be almost as much of a constraint as the 15' length.

But with a bit of compromise, I think that Coniston and Lakeside should both be possible.

Or how about a branch line up to Kendal instead of joining the LNW at Hincaster?

• Like 1

I assume that the 15' has to include return curves if it's a through station?  If you could use the whole 15' as straight as you needed it, you'd probably be OK. You might also manage Haverthwaite.

I don't have a scale plan, but how long was Furness Abbey?  An attractive location, that takes you back to a mainline, and always smart as the sort of unofficial HQ!

As it's on a curve, that could help.

Fun to model the hotel!

Again, I don't have a plan of Grange-over-Sands, but suspect it would prove far too long, or Arnside?.  You can use your J1 for the Kendal branch.

EDIT, if the 2' single board width is absolute, and there is no room for return curves round the room, you may be limited to Piel. I've always wanted to model it, but, to be frank, even with the odd Sunday school special, it wouldn't allow you to run much of a collection of stock. Still, that in itself might make it sympathetic to the rigours of P4.

Edited by Edwardian

I assume that the 15' has to include return curves if it's a through station?  If you could use the whole 15' as straight as you needed it, you'd probably be OK. You might also manage Haverthwaite.

I don't have a scale plan, but how long was Furness Abbey?  An attractive location, that takes you back to a mainline, and always smart as the sort of unofficial HQ!

As it's on a curve, that could help.

Fun to model the hotel!

Again, I don't have a plan of Grange-over-Sands, but suspect it would prove far too long, or Arnside?.  You can use your J1 for the Kendal branch.

EDIT, if the 2' single board width is absolute, and there is no room for return curves round the room, you may be limited to Piel. I've always wanted to model it, but, to be frank, even with the odd Sunday school special, it wouldn't allow you to run much of a collection of stock. Still, that in itself might make it sympathetic to the rigours of P4.

The Luftwaffe made a few 'alterations' to the Furness Abbey Hotel in 1941 as they did to Barrow Central, both buildings being, for the most part demolished after the war ended.  The ruins of Furness Abbey only tens of yards away from the hotel bearing testament to Thomas Cromwells disillusion policies would certainly 'make a statement' on any such model interpretation. Anyone familiar with the Furness coat of arms will recognise the magnificent Sedilla which has survived despite the years of iconoclasm and general looting of stone for inclusion into local houses.

Guy

There's a few links on John Hinson's site that might be of interest?

https://signalbox.org/diagrams.php?selectpg=Furness&viewpg=Go!

Hmmm, Meathop 1886 with that dates looks a possibility. Fairly simply yet plenty of operational possibilities.

Will keep looking, Thanks. :)

This website is another boon!

Edited by Knuckles