Edge's Industrial Workbench

Well hello and welcome all to my new workbench, can't promise that it will be the most riveting read youve ever had but I'll try my best.

I hope that the majority of what I put up here can be devoted to my 3D printing and its results. However my first entry here is actually about the delightful Andrew Barclay locomotives. I bought NCB black number 10 and was seriously impressed by the perfectly captured character of the real engines. I've always been a fan of grimy industrial steam engines with wasp stripes so I made a beeline for the Litte Barford example with a view to weathering it.

Engine arrived well packed and very very quickly. After a test on a small loop of track, it was time to get to work with the fibreglass pencil, varnish and transfers:

IpbESuJ.jpg

nT9EpDE.jpg

Being a wargamer I have a large quantity of games workshop paint products on hand and these were used to hide the transfer backing film on the microscale letters. A base of gloss varnish began the process and Lahmian Medium (for those who don't know, GW thematically names its paints) sealed the transfers and toned down the gloss effect to more of a satin finish. With the medium sealing the transfers as well as it did, I didnt really feel the need to varnish again

So on to the weathering:

mcHJoSW.jpg

qNGuvuB.jpg

IN this case, I cannot speak highly enough of the 'Nuln Oil' wash that GW offers, which is superb for representing accumulated muck. The Blistering on the smokebox was made by mixing two GW paints (Ryza Rust and Valhallan Blizzard) with a little Lahmian Medium and applying with a cocktail stick. Small amounts of tamiya weathering powder were used to represent track dust and GW praxeti white was used for the limescale.

All in all, I'm very pleased by the final look, and hopefully it doesn't look too bad to the rest of you either :)

Until next time...

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Subtle weathering enhances the loco, maybe a bit more grime on the tops of the rear buffer shanks? I agree the GW paints are effective for model rail applications. Look forward to seeing more of your work, especially the original 3D prints.

Dava