The real railways becoming like train sets!

Just read in the prototype railway magazines that the Midland mainline might be having Mk 4 coaches with hst power cars to run services in the future.

Also short hst 2+4 and 2+5 units will be used in Cornwall and Scotland.

This is something you would normally see on a child’s layout or with someone who has not done their research.

Is the real railways doing research through the model press to get ideas on how to run the railways?

Edited by muddy water

Just read in the prototype railway magazines that the Midland mainline might be having Mk 4 coaches with hst power cars to run services in the future.

Also short hst 2+2, 2+4 and 2+5 units will be used in Cornwall and Scotland.

This is something you would normally see on a child’s layout or with someone who has not done their research.

Is the real railways doing research through the model press to get ideas on how to run the railways?

Cornwall have already run a power-car-only train ................ imagine the derision if you tried to get away with that on a model !

• RMweb Gold

Cornwall have already run a power-car-only train ................ imagine the derision if you tried to get away with that on a model !

2+0 Power car movements like that have occurred occasionally for as long as there have been HSTs.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1

I can see this thread started badly and will be on its way to the lcoksmith's after lunch no doubt.

But for what its worth the short formed XC refurbished HST is just about the best train for passenger comfort on the network! (IMO)

• Like 1

On the other hand whilst passenger trains might be going a bit trainset-like you need a large layout indeed to accommodate the typical modern freight (although there are exceptions).

.... typical modern freight is an endless stream of articulated bl **dy lorries ...........

Edited by Wickham Green
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

.... typical modern freight is an endless stream of articulated bl **dy lorries ...........

Making a weird electric-sounding buzz on the train of MMAs that passed by me the other day, but I suppose that makes it a bit more trainset-like.

• RMweb Gold

He said ONE power car. As a train. I've seen a pic of it recently, unreal!

I saw such a movement a good few years ago, but it's generally avoided in case the move needs to be diverted unexpectedly en-route requiring a reversal. 

Unless there's a siding available to stuff it in, a single power car can quickly become an obstruction. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

I think the example is referring to an incident in Cornwall when a train derailed on the Newquay branch. The front power car derailed in a rather inaccessible location. So rather than get the passengers off the train they were walked through to the rear power car which then set off back to the next station.

So surely the shortest HST in passenger use - a single power car carrying passengers!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I think the example is referring to an incident in Cornwall when a train derailed on the Newquay branch. The front power car derailed in a rather inaccessible location. So rather than get the passengers off the train they were walked through to the rear power car which then set off back to the next station.

So surely the shortest HST in passenger use - a single power car carrying passengers!

Couldn't have been a very busy train.

I remember reading about that in Rail Magazine, here is a video of the rerailing found on Youtube.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity

2+2 seems like a lot of engine for the weight. Unless you dragged the trailing power car with the engine off, and just used it like some sort of overly-large DMU, I guess.

Hornby and Lima have been doing this for years!

Not many people have two motorised power cars in their hst sets!

Edited by muddy water

• 1 year later...