Hornby announcement 8th May

Paul.Uni

Brighton Belle usually only ran as a ten car train. 4CEPs and 4VEPs normally ran in multiple. But people run those in short sets as well.

4-VEP trains could split into smaller sets once they arrived at places like Faversham. I know what you mean though. When the 4-BEP is released I'll be able to do a full boat train with 2 4-CEPs, 1 4-BEP and an MLV. Removing one unit will probably make it look odd. I am busy designing a long thin layout to cope.

It will be a 1:1 scale live steam SECR H class with Real Sound and powered by Real Coal as displayed at the NEC. The price will be a little more than usual and it will run on 4'81/2" track from the about to be announced Peco Bullhead range.  :onthequiet: :onthequiet: :onthequiet: :onthequiet:

• RMweb Gold

How many Pendelinos have they sold? Or HSTs and APTs over the years? How many of those are running as full sets? Very few I reckon.

Brighton Belle usually only ran as a ten car train. 4CEPs and 4VEPs normally ran in multiple. But people run those in short sets as well.

So if they do a 700 expect a short version with add on packs.

Jason

If they do a 700..it’s not the same thing suggested as shown in the CAD drawing.

The CAD shows a Siemens unit, with opening out doors, not sliding doors. A class 700 has sliding doors.

Edited by adb968008

If they do a 700..it’s not the same thing suggested as shown in the CAD drawing.

The CAD shows a Siemens unit, with opening out doors, not sliding doors. A class 700 has sliding doors.

I was quoting the post that mentioned a 700 and was just pointing out that long trains are not normally ruled out because they are prototypically long. Quite the opposite in that it's normally the trains that are long that are sold to people in train sets.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Hornby's last boss should have done a deal with Ladbrock's. With different odds, we can all place bets.

I say

Class 86  15:1

Apt-p       25:1

Fell 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000:1

Edited by Vistiaen
  • Like 1

I'd just like to be first with a pre-emptive

Nothing here for me

It's how much!

That green/blue doesn't look quite right.

Think of it as a kind of announcement bingo.

Nik

Think you missed

'I cannot believe that Hornby/Bachmann/Heljan (delete where applicable) have done/missed  this' 

Hornby's last boss should have done a deal with Ladbrock's. With different odds, we can all place bets.

I say

Class 86  15:1

Apt-p       25:1

Fell 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000:1

And so it should be for all God-fearing bookies.     Not enough number in the Fell though

Princess 3:1

SECR D  5:1

For those wanting a Fell, you do realise that the original application of this name to locomotives was pure steam...

here near where I grew up in NZ is the bottom of the 3-mile 'Rimutaka Incline' with the 1927 British Royal Tour train just starting on the 1-in-15 grade.  The 5 Fell 0-4-2T  engines are hard at it with extra horizontal driving wheels clamping the centre rail.  My grandfather drove one of the 4-6-2 Pacifics in the station yard beyond the train. The Fell engines were spread through the train to reduce coupling stress, uphill speeds were about 5mph. The top of the grade was in a long single-bore tunnel, not much air for the passengers nor the crew, a bell rang at the actual summit, well inside the tunnel, to give drivers an indication of when to shut off steam.

post-7929-0-43559700-1524688122.jpg

sorry about the thread drift

When will Hornby do these, that's what I want to know!  :)

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

It's the Dr Beeching set, complete with no trains in sight, rusting rails, crumbling platforms, and trees growing in the 4 foot......no wait, that's the Southern 2018 set I'm thinking of.........

Lot's of things point out to the drawings being a Class 185, the seating arrangement and door arrangement come to mind. However Paul's post can easily be something to put us off completely.

A quick search about the Class 185, doesn't look like it has many liveries. Longish life with 12 years of service already. But I can just about find only 3-4 liveries. Geographically have these units been around much?

They have quite a fair range, albeit all in the North; Liverpool/Manchester (both Piccadilly and Victoria) via two routes, Manchester/Sheffield/Doncaster/Cleethorpes, Manchester/Leeds via two routes, Leeds/Hull, Leeds/York and ECML to Newcastle (and occasionally Edinburgh ?), Northallerton/Middlesbrough, WCML from Golborne Jc (occasionally) or Wigan to both Glasgow and Edinburgh, and the branches to Blackpool North, Barrow and Windermere. Plus other routes I may have missed !

It is an exclusive with Rails of Sheffield and the NRM. There is a thread under the Retailers Commissions here (Rails section):

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/132605-rails-of-sheffielddapolnrm-announce-oo-gauge-stroudley-a1a1x/

And Hornby will finally drop their Terrier into Railroad, perhaps even DCC Ready, at a third of the Dapol/Rails/NRM price.  I should imagine such a move would take place about 6 months before the new "Dapol" version is due. Hope they make a better fist of it than the 14xx entry into Railroad which was frankly a disappointment! 

But that won't happen in May.

A retooled Princess Royal to the standard of a Princess Coronation would be nice.  It would be a great addition to my chronological collection of "Royals" dating back to 1956, each getting longer and longer....

Edited by Hroth

And Hornby will finally drop their Terrier into Railroad, perhaps even DCC Ready, at a third of the Dapol/Rails/NRM price.  I should imagine such a move would take place about 6 months before the new "Dapol" version is due. Hope they make a better fist of it than the 14xx entry into Railroad which was frankly a disappointment! 

But that won't happen in May.

A retooled Princess Royal to the standard of a Princess Coronation would be nice.  It would be a great addition to my chronological collection of "Royals" dating back to 1956, each getting longer and longer....

We are going OT, but the current terrier is far too packed to have an 8-pin socket (Hornby's standard) inserted anywhere and even too packed for a 6-pin. The motor swallows up all the space of the side tanks and much of the boiler (an extra wire already makes putting the body back a cow of a job). The few conversions to DCC done by people were really crafty.

If it ends up in Railroad, the liveries will be simplified but I doubt they will get price down to a 1/3rd. Perhaps 1/2 the price.

In anycase, you can pick them up off a well known auction site cheap enough as long as you are not after the Thomas range Stepney version.

• RMweb Premium

They have quite a fair range, albeit all in the North; Liverpool/Manchester (both Piccadilly and Victoria) via two routes, Manchester/Sheffield/Doncaster/Cleethorpes, Manchester/Leeds via two routes, Leeds/Hull, Leeds/York and ECML to Newcastle (and occasionally Edinburgh ?), Northallerton/Middlesbrough, WCML from Golborne Jc (occasionally) or Wigan to both Glasgow and Edinburgh, and the branches to Blackpool North, Barrow and Windermere. Plus other routes I may have missed !

Trouble is they are already yesterdays train. These are going to be at least partially replaced by the Nova Mk5s and class 68s, IETs and the new electric units on routes to Glasgow/Edinburgh to Manchester routes . Can’t quite figure out why Hornby would bring out a model now when the 185 are about to be eclipsed . Still it follows a pattern when they brought out the Calder Valley 110 unit when arguably a Derby , Met Camm or even 104 units would have been much more widespread.

Oh well I’ll keep an eye on it. Nice to see Hornby returning to a bit of excitement .