Hornby announcement 8th May

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Gold

Here's a thought

Hornby will bring  all their tooling, tool making, casting & injection moulding back to Margate.

When all casting & plastic bits are ready they will be sent to China for assembly

John

And what comes back will consist of all the bits that arrived in China, but not necessarily all the bits. :jester:

And what comes back will consist of all the bits that arrived in China, but not necessarily all the bits. :jester:

And not necessarily in the all right places. (Eric Morecambe)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

At least one with straight frames at the cab end lasted until BR days but probably only made black livery if it ever got to be repainted after 1948.

The last straight framed Saint was Canton's 2906 "Lady Of Lynn",condemned on 16 August 1952 after a total of 1,903,025 running miles.Final heavy repair Swindon in Dec.1950 and a long time Canton favourite,only taken off passenger working early in 1952.Apparently specially turned out for her final journey on 29th August 1952...so it's entirely possible that she just might have received BR black.

My source ..inevitably..is "The Red Dragon And Other Old Friends" ..plate 77 a photo taken by Huw Daniel at Skewen on 30th Decamber 1949 where she is resplendent in post war grime

• RMweb Premium

They have managed to find the tooling for the APT-P and are going to produce a railroad version, having realised the potential of DJM''s.

Nik

I think Simon Kohler reported finding the tooling some time ago (before leaving Hornby) in his Blog. What happened to it then....

I think Simon Kohler reported finding the tooling some time ago (before leaving Hornby) in his Blog. What happened to it then....

He said they found it but it was rusty and the elves wouldn't let them reach it down from the shelving at the back of the warehouse.

Probably went for scrap when they went to Sandwich.

If I remember correctly it wasn't suitable for rerelease due to the tooling being knackered (technical term).

They had considered reissuing it due to demand. But it wasn't possible.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Lapford34102 may have a point with the 74 as the DJM crowd funder has gone into hibernation. However I don't think Hornby would make a song and dance about the announcement for a 74. So if it is a loco it is going to be something special, if it is a set, again it would be something special. It could well be a development in control systems. Or a complete long shot perhaps something on the lines of continental locos which have 'working' diesel exhaust and steam & cylinder drain cocks, but unlikely.

I wonder if Hornby is going to announce a range of 009 models. Or am I the only one hoping Hornby would tap into that market? Talyllyn Railway theme perhaps.

Dogloch, Edward Thomas, Prince and Tal-y-llyn would be nice!

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

TBH, I've got well over a grand's worth of pre-ordered items likely to arrive before the end of the year, and I'd like to double up on some of them if funds permit.

I'm therefore hoping that whatever Hornby announce, it will be something I want, but not in large quantities......... :jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

Lapford34102 may have a point with the 74 as the DJM crowd funder has gone into hibernation. However I don't think Hornby would make a song and dance about the announcement for a 74. So if it is a loco it is going to be something special, if it is a set, again it would be something special. It could well be a development in control systems. Or a complete long shot perhaps something on the lines of continental locos which have 'working' diesel exhaust and steam & cylinder drain cocks, but unlikely.

Perhaps an eco-friendly steam unit for DCC locos, using water instead of the various oils for the medium?

• RMweb Gold

They're not in Margate anymore John.

Hornby moved to Sandwich a few years ago.

There's only the visitor centre left at the old Margate site and they have been looking at where to move it to, for a while now.

Westwood Cross is a bustling area of retail. The rates on this place is seriously staggering. To set up a factory unit over there will/would require some serious financial input.

• RMweb Gold

Or a complete long shot perhaps something on the lines of continental locos which have 'working' diesel exhaust and steam & cylinder drain cocks, but unlikely.

That sounds like it would be very expensive. Is that such a good idea?

• RMweb Premium

Yes it would be expensive, but having seen some of the continental locos fitted, it certainly looks very good.