It's been a long time since I last updated this thread, but here's my latest freelance locomotive project:

image.png.296a2ea8e219d56deec963257eea972f.png

Yes, I know it's blurry because I took it with my phone and I apologise for the quality. The inspiration for it came from the SECR D and E Class 4-4-0s which suit this engine nicely. I will get some coaches in the Bachmann Thomas Range which will became SECR coaching stock. The recently-announced Museum Coaches would suit my time period nicely because of the LNWR-style livery on them so maybe LNWR and Midland flavours to this locomotive?

We'll see, we'll soon see.

• Like 3

Another update on the locomotive:
image.png.7824ddc4aca6cda780ff059be2207c0b.png

image.png.2ded227cc4120f8167c913b9a0bc4908.png

This is the work I have been doing so far and I am including the standard Hornby Four Wheel Coaches already rendered in a simplistic version of SECR Crimson. The cab is taking shape and the step as been added on with a little help from Milliput and a strip of plasticard (gosh, that stuff doesn't grow on trees). The cab interior may be blank so perhaps a sticker of instruments might be of some use for this simplistic model. Once the final finishing items and livery have been applied,

Also, my short freelance bogie coach is taking a while to work so it may take some time until I can find the Queen Mary Brake Van chassis needed.

Edited by LNWR18901910
  • Like 2

Is railway modelling an art? I often wonder that myself. So, here's another photograph of my D/E Class Hybrid 4-4-0 along with the three maroon four wheel coaches that arrived.

IMG_20210210_190546_81.jpg

The lining has yet to be added and the gold detailing will also be done as well as other SECR features. Fortunately, I own two Hornby and Bachmann SECR-liveried locomotives (with a third having been pre-ordered on the way soon). In the meantime, leave me your comments and thoughts while I keep updating once or twice on this project.

• Like 4

Nothing much on my D/E Class Hybrid 4-4-0 except for a lick of paint:

image.png.fd0f277a0d67b297cc47ef5b5d5ebbc4.png

Yes, I know the first coach is derailed but at least it the model looks the part. I hope I got the SECR livery just right. The wheels may need a bit more green on them, too.

• Like 5

Here I am back again with more on my D/E Class Hybrid 4-4-0 as I have come to love 4-4-0 locomotives! Back then, they were the main express passenger locomotives of the day until the introduction of 4-4-2 Atlantics, 4-6-0 Ten Wheelers and 4-6-2 Pacifics.

image.png.794067bc44f0d618f12aaa6f9c491a99.png

The lining has been somewhat tidied up. An old trick I learned that was actually used on the railways was that they'd apply the colour of the lining on the sides before filling it in with the colour of the livery.

image.png.db0b6718b769831ccdc6d13b33b4edf7.png

Checker-plating has just been added inside the cab and the tender for some detailing. I have yet to add a loco crew inside (hopefully some figures to make into Edwardian-esque characters). Also, I might add a pair of handrails alongside the cab and tender with some styrene rods I picked up.

Overall, this locomotive has a nice Pre-Grouping feel to it and it will be used on a micro layout inspired by Budget Model Railways' micro layout on their YouTube channel. I have been thinkign about making one of those for sometime and I should plan it out.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TonyMay said:

How did you get the lining effect?

To answer your question, I already did.

23 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

The lining has been somewhat tidied up. An old trick I learned that was actually used on the railways was that they'd apply the colour of the lining on the sides before filling it in with the colour of the livery.

Also, I have done a bit more on the model - the buffer-shanks are now black on both the locomotive and the tender and handrails have been added on either side as seen here:

841529410_IMG_20210221_215623_31.jpg.3eb03727aa6fd3afc64c5c06f90274b9.jpg

And while I was at it, I thought I'd might as well tidy up some parts of the locomotive.

2 hours ago, Aire Head said:

What paints are you using?

To answer your question, I use acrylic paints such as Humbrol, Reeves and Galeria. I used enamel stuff once but it was too sticky and slippery for my brushes, Rather than gunk them up, I would use what I work best with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LNWR18901910 said:

To answer your question, I use acrylic paints such as Humbrol, Reeves and Galeria. I used enamel stuff once but it was too sticky and slippery for my brushes, Rather than gunk them up, I would use what I work best with.

Acrylics are much easier to work with and my personal choice too, if you work in several thin coats you will get the best results :)

I would highly recommend using Vallejo Acrylics as I have found these the best so far, they are thinner and spread better providing a smoother finish.

Combined with Games Workshop washes you can produce some really nice weathering effects which just helps to add a bit more life.

I've attach some images of various items I have produce using the paints I mentioned.

Hope this helps and keep up the work :paint:

PXL_20201114_151301920.jpg

PXL_20210101_214756231.jpg

IMG_20200827_220003.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I last posted anything, so...

If I got my hands on a Bachmann James the Red Engine, I would remove the face and moving eye mechanism, swap the single pony-truck for a double one, alter the running-board slightly to accommodate it, take the original tender boyd off the chassis, scratchbuild a new LNWR-esque one on top of it, hollow out the cab for improvement, add a whistle onto the cab-roof, paint it into the LNWR livery and there we go! A short simplified version of the LNWR 19-inch Express Goods 4-6-0, something which I always wanted to do!

I know, I already did this model in LNWR condition, but I can still pull it off with whatever resources I can find. I asked if anyone happened to a Bachmann Edward the Blue Engine that I would make into an LNWR 4-4-0 but so far, nobody responded. If anybody still happens to have one, please let me know by replying to me or private message me. In the meantime, I'll just keep looking.

Also, I have plans on making a DMU version of the Dapol Railbus in the near-future for my compact micro layout in a box which will be around sometime in the future.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

Been a while since I last posted anything, so...

If I got my hands on a Bachmann James the Red Engine, I would remove the face and moving eye mechanism, swap the single pony-truck for a double one, alter the running-board slightly to accommodate it, take the original tender boyd off the chassis, scratchbuild a new LNWR-esque one on top of it, hollow out the cab for improvement, add a whistle onto the cab-roof, paint it into the LNWR livery and there we go! A short simplified version of the LNWR 19-inch Express Goods 4-6-0, something which I always wanted to do!

I know, I already did this model in LNWR condition, but I can still pull it off with whatever resources I can find. I asked if anyone happened to a Bachmann Edward the Blue Engine that I would make into an LNWR 4-4-0 but so far, nobody responded. If anybody still happens to have one, please let me know by replying to me or private message me. In the meantime, I'll just keep looking.

Also, I have plans on making a DMU version of the Dapol Railbus in the near-future for my compact micro layout in a box which will be around sometime in the future.

Do you have any pictures?