• Saturday 13 April
    • Sunday 14 April
    • Saturday 27 April
    • Sunday 28 April
    • Saturday 4 May
    • Sunday 5 May
    • Saturday 18 May
    • Sunday 19 May

Sounds good to me, a day out and playing trains! Once set up and operating I don't think questions from the public will be much of an issue, if last meet is anything to go by then there will be spare bods to chat with them.

Good work Nut :)

We'd best be 100% committed now, I just bought a Hornby SR Van C... (Constructing a milk train specially, I don't even have a British engine right now - though there is a nice black/sunshine Maunsell N class in the Bachmann range).

• Like 1

We'd best be 100% committed now, I just bought a Hornby SR Van C... (Constructing a milk train specially, I don't even have a British engine right now - though there is a nice black/sunshine Maunsell N class in the Bachmann range).

I have some Lima "St Ivel" milk tanks you could use on the day, and I'm sure I can find a suitable loco to lend you if necessary.  My nice sound fitted Adams Radial could be utilised if required.

Edited by cromptonnut

To be honest the black & sunshine livery is my all time favourite from the UK, so an excuse to own something in it is fine by me. I can always just display it...

Though I've decided to make some kind of representation of a dairy, and so the more milk tanks available on the day to serve it the better. Though it's still several months before this really needs to be worried about...

• Like 1

To be honest the black & sunshine livery is my all time favourite from the UK, so an excuse to own something in it is fine by me. I can always just display it...

Though I've decided to make some kind of representation of a dairy, and so the more milk tanks available on the day to serve it the better. Though it's still several months before this really needs to be worried about...

Yep you'll just display it.  Then realise you can make a small additional module with a couple of sidings to act as a storage yard to go with your little dairy.  Then it might be nice to have a station the other end to terminate the branch line... and before you know it you've got a 12ft layout all of your own which needs more stock to run on it...

Edited by cromptonnut
  • Like 1

Well my plan is to make my module operable at home with a couple of extensions (one will need an R2 90* curve), and the idea is to remove the rice mill and SP depot to be replaced by the "dairy" and maybe a station platform for the dave meet, so no reason I couldn't do the same at home.

Once the American mode is complete I will probably build a similar small module to Dave standards with a more British track layout and use that to play with whatever this Van C ends up spawning, though I don't foresee a time when I could have both set up at the same time... But that's way down the road. Making appreciable progress on the imitating Louisiana is proving challenging enough.

• RMweb Gold

Well as we now seem to have the better space at the same price it would be rude not to give them a bit of a show for the money. I've been meaning to revisit the museum so taking a break from the trains and looking round sounds good :)

I've just realised that means there's space again to build something new . . . ;)

Based on the current submitted plans, there are a few things that might be handy if you're looking for inspiration.  Another junction module, whether it's single or double on any end, could be quite useful looking how things stand at present.  We don't have many freight facilities either (a dairy and a 'converted switching yard').  We have 4 stations so a small station on a 4ft board wouldn't necessarily go amiss either.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nut

Tidworth has a terminal station with run round plus China clay loading point, warehouse and siding for pretty much any traffic also fuel delivery for the fuelling point, so a few potential flows to one end.

• Like 1

Once we are a couple of weeks away and have the final plan locked down, I am looking at potentially making some "train plan cards" to give out randomly to have a go at an operating session with a purpose, so there are going to be places where trains may have to reverse/run round, or wait in a loop for something coming the other way etc.  It may work, it may be more fun as a 'free for all' but I think in these early stages we can try things, find out what works and what doesn't, and then future meets may be planned with a timetable in mind or something.

It's all exciting :)

In other news, I am trialling the prototype of my "Mini-Dave" idea using a 10" wide board end rather than 18", for long thin open scenery or whatever may be required.  In this case it's a simple 3 road fiddle yard that goes with the layout I'm building at present (as a module), but will have basic scenery so it works as standalone sidings such as those required to tack on to the end of Zomboid's "Grand Lake" as a headshunt if it ends up at the end of a branch.

Hi Nut

Tidworth has a terminal station with run round plus China clay loading point, warehouse and siding for pretty much any traffic also fuel delivery for the fuelling point, so a few potential flows to one end.

Having a layout of that calibre on the end definitely ups the game a bit!

If I get time to finish and lay track on the 4ft straight, I'll make sure to add an all purpose siding. (I will sort out forms at some point Nut, I promise! (Wife has approved the trip!))

Thanks Matt.

Isn't the good lady coming along as well?

You're welcome. Might motivate me to bring more than just track on bare boards.

No, she'll stay at home dog sitting. I just need to decide if I'm leaving really early in the morning, or going hotel the night before.

I just need to decide if I'm leaving really early in the morning, or going hotel the night before.

You'll be looking at a 4-5 hour slog so I would tend to recommend the overnight option at least on the Saturday night (and depending whether you want to stay over Sunday night and take the Monday off). 

There's a Premier Inn at Andover just off the A303 which is about 5 miles from the venue, and a Travelodge at Barton Stacey (which I know, sounds like a 1950's detective series) about 7 miles before Andover.   If you book well in advance you can find some very good prices so would suggest having a look around at your options.    Just google "hotels near Andover" and you'll get loads of options.

post-8328-0-78286400-1532033510.jpg

As far as "packing up" goes, I don't see that we're going to be making much mess anyway so pretty much when we call it a day we can start breaking down the setup and go as soon as you're ready, and anyone local(ish) who doesn't mind giving a hand helping everyone else pack up and run the broom over our area can stay.  

Edited by cromptonnut
  • Like 1

Hi guys

I've had confirmation from the museum that they are happy to offer us the space as indicated in my previous post for the same £10 per person rate as the village hall............

I am confident that the revised, larger space will suit our needs and that we will still have a good day, but before I confirm to the museum could I please ask everyone to confirm that they are happy or raise any issues/concerns/objections before making a final decision.

Many thanks

'Nut

Sorry, I only read this just now.

No objections at all.

Leen.

Based on the current submitted plans, there are a few things that might be handy if you're looking for inspiration.  Another junction module, whether it's single or double on any end, could be quite useful looking how things stand at present.  We don't have many freight facilities either (a dairy and a 'converted switching yard').  We have 4 stations so a small station on a 4ft board wouldn't necessarily go amiss either.

if I come with my layout I'll need a double track section to attach to as it's a 2 track mainline station, and that if is a BIG IF

Edited by Adamphillip