• Saturday 13 April
    • Sunday 14 April
    • Saturday 27 April
    • Sunday 28 April
    • Saturday 4 May
    • Sunday 5 May
    • Saturday 18 May
    • Sunday 19 May

Well I've started laying out what we have submitted so far on a floor plan of the hall... and we do seem to have more modules than space, thanks to the very generous curves of the modular design.

Out of those already submitted, is anyone not started yet and prepared to amend what they have submitted into something different?

A this rate, it may be that we need to seek out a larger venue - but that would considerably add to the costs of the event. 

The only option I'm getting at the moment is running a branch out through the entrance hall and into the car park, and desperately hoping it doesn't rain?  Unfortunately the fire exit, which although in a potentially useful spot, leads out onto a gravel area then grass which really isn't suitable for putting boards out to; and the stage area is about a foot higher than the hall which would mean any module there needing a 'non standard' set of legs which I'm not overly keen on either.

Thoughts, anyone?

Here is the plan with what I currently have submitted.  Every module has been used, and there's one 90 degree curve that hasn't been offered.

post-8328-0-80754600-1531423285_thumb.jpg

Top middle - fiddle yard (Cromptonnut)

leading into O,P which makes a 90 degree curve (Joseph Pestell)

leading into M, single track to double track converter (Joseph Pestell)

leading into J, double track with single track off to left (Joseph Pestell)

single branch - C, 45 degree single track curve (Cromptonnut), G, single track straight (Cromptonnut), R, Lyme Reg-ish, single track into terminus on a curve (Cromptonnut)

main line - H, Pendle Meadows (Chimer), double track straight

leading into L, double track 90 degree curve (Joseph Pestell)

leading into K, double track station (Joseph Pestell)

leading into a 90 degree double track curve that hasn't been built yet

leading into F, Woodstock Junction (MarkW)

left, leading into E, Nowhere Tunnel (MarkW)

right, leading into N, double to single junction (Joseph Pestell), I, 45 degree curve (Cromptonnut) and D, Grand Lake, Single track passing loop and sidings then dead end

This of course assumes that every module offered comes to fruition which is unlikely but I can only proceed on the information I have at present.

Very interested to hear if anyone can come up with a better way to use the space!

Edited by cromptonnut

In theory I'll be offering up a 4ft straight and a 45 degree curve at some point too chap. So still more to squeeze in...

This is the problem... I can think of at least 2 complete layouts that have been suggested awaiting forms.  I am quite happy to drop out some of my modules though to make space for others; the Lyme Reg-ish module for example.  

It's the 36" radius curves that are causing the problem!

Very interested to hear if anyone can come up with a better way to use the space!

I would place the "endless tunnel" in the "u" shaped room between  A, M and R and connect it to F again. This way you can offer a couple more feet for modules, although mainly curved.  Additionally, there can be a straight board squeezed in between the fiddle yard A and P.

The 36" radius looks fine to me, but you can also chose a bigger radius, i.e. for a station lying in a generous curve or for small modules with 5 or 10 deg. angle... If you want/need a smaller radius I would recommend not to go under 24". Maybe  split the 90 deg. in a 22.5 deg module 36" radius, a 45  deg. module with 24" and at last 22.5 deg. with 36". This forms a kind of a "transition curve" which eases the look of the small radius.

At the moment you are the only ones working with this standard - so I think you have the practical right to try new things and  alter it, if needed.

Michael

the stage area is about a foot higher than the hall which would mean any module there needing a 'non standard' set of legs which I'm not overly keen on either.

Rack tramway anyone?  :jester:  ok, I'll take my coat...

Edited by teetrix

At the moment you are the only ones working with this standard - so I think you have the practical right to try new things and alter it, if needed.

Very true. So, anyone doing curves that haven't started building yet fancy going down to 30" mainline instead?

I may try my 'minidave' idea for the non existant 90 degree curve at 30 and 32".

Edited by cromptonnut

• RMweb Premium

From the existing plan, my thought would be to put Nowhere tunnel into the top right hand corner, coming off the right hand fork of the double junction, which would mean the non-existent 90 degree bend needs to become 120 (?) (ish) degrees so the right fork is parallel to the wall, and the 45 degree bend on the way to Grand Lake reversed to become a curve to the right.

So far as extra modules for specific purposes goes, my planned Pendle Meadows is about as simple as possible because I need to prove to myself I can hack it - if I can, then an extra smallish simplish board to order should be possible.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Chimer

• RMweb Gold

Well I've started laying out what we have submitted so far on a floor plan of the hall... and we do seem to have more modules than space, thanks to the very generous curves of the modular design.

Out of those already submitted, is anyone not started yet and prepared to amend what they have submitted into something different?

A this rate, it may be that we need to seek out a larger venue - but that would considerably add to the costs of the event. 

The only option I'm getting at the moment is running a branch out through the entrance hall and into the car park, and desperately hoping it doesn't rain?  Unfortunately the fire exit, which although in a potentially useful spot, leads out onto a gravel area then grass which really isn't suitable for putting boards out to; and the stage area is about a foot higher than the hall which would mean any module there needing a 'non standard' set of legs which I'm not overly keen on either.

Thoughts, anyone?

Here is the plan with what I currently have submitted.  Every module has been used, and there's one 90 degree curve that hasn't been offered.

attachicon.gifhallplan.JPG

Top middle - fiddle yard (Cromptonnut)

leading into O,P which makes a 90 degree curve (Joseph Pestell)

leading into M, single track to double track converter (Joseph Pestell)

leading into J, double track with single track off to left (Joseph Pestell)

single branch - C, 45 degree single track curve (Cromptonnut), G, single track straight (Cromptonnut), R, Lyme Reg-ish, single track into terminus on a curve (Cromptonnut)

main line - H, Pendle Meadows (Chimer), double track straight

leading into L, double track 90 degree curve (Joseph Pestell)

leading into K, double track station (Joseph Pestell)

leading into a 90 degree double track curve that hasn't been built yet

leading into F, Woodstock Junction (MarkW)

left, leading into E, Nowhere Tunnel (MarkW)

right, leading into N, double to single junction (Joseph Pestell), I, 45 degree curve (Cromptonnut) and D, Grand Lake, Single track passing loop and sidings then dead end

This of course assumes that every module offered comes to fruition which is unlikely but I can only proceed on the information I have at present.

I'm perfectly happy to include or exclude whichever of mine you want.

You may find some other, larger, village halls in the area which would not cost much more.

Obviously I want to leave a couple of feet all round to accommodate for inaccuracies in my planning, as well as walkways etc around everything where possible.  It may be that some modules just don't fit or get ready in time, which will of course help a little but I'm reluctant to say "don't bring X" when clearly people are making the effort to come along in the first place.

Last time it was all single track, which made life considerably easier, now we have a mix of single and double track, and the relevant converters/junction, it's proving more challenging.  

I'll make a few phone calls today and report back if there is anything suitable.

We have four double tracked 24 inch (inside track) curves of 90 degrees that we can bring in. Our RTR stuff runs on them without issues. Maybe these can solve your space problem.

By the way, we are planning a trip to visit the Andover MRC model Railway Show on 1st September.

Can we meet you there?

Leen.

Edited by 3737

We have four double tracked 24 inch (inside track) curves of 90 degrees that we can bring in. Our RTR stuff runs on them without issues. Maybe these can solve your space problem.

By the way, we are planning a trip to visit the Andover MRC model Railway Show on 1st September.

Can we meet you there?

Leen.

Hi Leen

24" curves shouldn't be an issue to most RTR stuff but the 'standard' as agreed by a load of people who are no longer interested (!!!) states 36".  Personally I have no problem with 24" but would need to make sure everyone else has stuff that will run round it.

Unfortunately I am unable to get to the Andover show as I am working that weekend.

Currently myself and several people from the network youtube group are thinking about joining up you guys for modular stuff, which will include my 16ft long London Undergate terminus station module

If it can be made to fit the standard at one end, with a converter board if necessary, no reason why not.

• RMweb Gold

The 24" stuff could be used only in a dedicated branch line restricted to smaller locos. Much the same idea used in Freemo where industrial tracks, parks etc are allowed as 24" radius. It only needs to be considered so there are alternative 'mainline' routes.

*** POTENTIAL VENUE CHANGE ***

Ok everyone, following the discussions about the hall likely being too small, I have this morning had a bit of a brainwave.  There are positives and negatives so I'd like to hear your thoughts.

We are surrounded by military places. Lots of them.  They have places where big military equipment can be housed.  One of them is the Museum of Army Flying on the A343 at Middle Wallop, only a mile or so from the original venue.  I've been and had a chat with them and they have a space that is made available for meetings/events.  It's currently occupied by a red plane (see images below) but that can be moved.

post-8328-0-66109900-1531478563.jpg

post-8328-0-14475100-1531478571.jpg

This gives us a workable space of around 50ft x 50ft.  The rear would be the fake cliff (there are about 10 power sockets behind the camouflage netting), and the front roughly where the white panels are at present, covering the hangar access door.

POSITIVES

• Close to original location and still easy to get to from all directions
  • Easy access through hanger doors
  • Plenty of parking
  • On site café and shop selling some interesting stuff including model kits.
  • Possibility of a guided tour of the museum at lunchtime if people were interested.
  • Unusual venue with 'items of interest' for individuals to look at inbetween running trains.
  • Possibility of "something for family members to do" on the day (museum entrance fees would have to be paid, of course)

NEGATIVES

• Unless we pay £1000 for exclusive hire, the rest of the museum will be open to the public on that day.  However the area will be fenced off to keep people away but people will still be able to see and talk to us.
  • No opportunity to heat your own food or make tea/coffee - however this is offset by the café being available (or bring sandwiches and drink squash/water).
  • Slight security risk by museum being open (although apparently visitor numbers are never huge) however I don't see it being an issue as we wouldn't be leaving anything unattended, and any personal belongings can be put in an area furthest away from people.
  • Potential higher cost, awaiting confirmation as they tend to deal with "corporate hire" requiring the museum to be shut, for team building days and other silly things and haven't been asked "can we have a bit of floor space" before.
  • A bit warm - however I have a couple of large fans that can help with this (probably easier than trying to use a helicopter...)

There is also the potential of further reducing the cost if we allow them to publicise our meeting as an 'event' although I have made it very clear that it is not a 'model railway exhibition' as such and some boards may well be incomplete.  Personally I'm not so keen on this option however it depends what the difference is.

There was another village hall but when I saw rates for "parish residents" and "outsiders" it kinda put me off as being a bit Royston Vasey...

So... what are your thoughts?

I've rearranged the modules currently confirmed into the 50x50 space above... as you can see, a lot more spacious.

post-8328-0-47617700-1531481838.jpg

Edited by cromptonnut
  • Like 1

have we got a template for module ends that I can use?

The standards are listed here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88537-rmweb-modular-project-standards/

We don't have a 'template board end' as such similar to those that other standards use although I expect it'd be an easy thing to do, at a cost, if required as a future development.  But as this is only the second meet in about 4 years it's got a very long way to go :)

• RMweb Gold

I'd still prefer the private smaller venue to be honest. I'm not worried about a monster layout for the first, ( ok secondish ;) ), event, it's better to at least get all the people together and it will allow redundancy if someone has to drop out as things like my boards can be held in reserve. Grateley has the better public transport link with the station and there's no reason one of us can't pick people up there as it's literally a 1 - 2 min drive.

Happy to go with whatever and throw my notes in the fund.

I'd still prefer the private smaller venue to be honest. I'm not worried about a monster layout for the first, ( ok secondish ;) ), event

As would I, but as it stands we are almost "full" at Grateley, and I know of at least three complete layouts of about 12ft each that have asked for forms although haven't responded yet.  There's absolutely no way on earth we can fit all that lot in if everyone responds - and that's not including others that tag along such as AdamPhilip (above) who has asked about bringing their layout who may wish to jump in as time goes on.

Monster layout or not, the plan is of course created based on the contributions, and at the moment we have more contributions offered (if not confirmed) than the hall can accommodate hence the larger venue.

I could have a word with the museum and see whether, rather than rope, some or all of our space could be hidden off with the display panels that are dotted around, however we could still be seen from the upper level so it's more private but not totally private.

I wonder if the school near me hires out the hall, I'll contact them to see if that's an option.

Possible although moving too far from the current location may be "a bit too much" for some? My guess however is that the cost would increase considerably.