• Saturday 27 April
    • Sunday 28 April
    • Saturday 4 May
    • Sunday 5 May
    • Saturday 18 May
    • Sunday 19 May

*** NOW CANCELLED DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES BEYOND OUR CONTROL ***

Hi all

Now that we have established that there is a small amount of interest still going in the modular project, I'm now putting out some dates for April and May 2019, the hall is available on all dates, and I have avoided the bank holiday/Easter weekends for obvious reasons.

For full details of the plans for the meet read this thread then come here and vote for dates that are convenient.  The poll will run until 20 May then the most popular date will be chosen; if there are several most popular dates then I will choose one.

As a reminder, we can accept modules to the "Dave" RMWeb modular standard, narrower scenic only boards of minimum 10" (single track) or 12" (double track) as long as end profiles, electrics etc meet the standard, and Freemo modules that can pass for UK if you don't look too hard.  The most important two things are track height/positioning and DCC wiring as per Dave standard - the rest we can probably bodge as long as it isn't too wacky.

'Nut

Edited by cromptonnut
  • Like 1

I can at present offer a freemo module and no British rolling stock whatsoever. (Check my Louisiana module thread for details).

In this context it could be used as a small 3 track fiddle yard - I'm hoping to significantly improve the scenic treatment over the next year, so I can't be sure just how easily it'll pass for anywhere else, but I am planning to have the buildings removable, so they at least won't get in the way...

• RMweb Gold

I've ticked the ones I'm off but I may be able to do some of the other Saturdays by applying for leave.

I see no issue with people coming along even without a module as long as they share the cost of the hall as those bringing modules do as all can run trains.

Anyone​ can build a module as part of a larger section - that's the whole point of modular :) 

​What we do need, based on the last meet, are several junctions as invariably we have one long single track section that you can only have one train working at a time, although I do have plans for a passing loop module on a curve which, if nothing else, gives an option for more trains running.

I can at present offer a freemo module and no British rolling stock whatsoever. (Check my Louisiana module thread for details).

In this context it could be used as a small 3 track fiddle yard - I'm hoping to significantly improve the scenic treatment over the next year, so I can't be sure just how easily it'll pass for anywhere else, but I am planning to have the buildings removable, so they at least won't get in the way...

Scenic sections are just as useful, and in many cases we can overlook the scenery not being "completely British", it may even simply be that your removable buildings could be replaced by someone bringing along a 'ready to place' Scaledale or similar building.

Once we have enough people confirmed for a particular date, we can work between ourselves to fill in any gaps, ie I have a couple of warehouses that may fit your empty buildings space and with a lorry or two looks perfectly within plan.  Failing that, if it's a whole US high street section, well we can always get a couple of BBC branded vans and pretend it's Pinewood Studios or something...

It does work well with the Freemo events that not everyone brings modules. That has enough participants that if everyone who wants to attend brought something they wouldn't actually fit in the halls. Plus it was taking a loco along to the Trent Valley freemo a couple of years ago that got me into the concept and led to me building my module. Getting people in without a module ought to be a great way to get participants.

Says me, slightly hypocritically since I've no plans to build a British themed module...

I think we can just see how things pan out.  If we get 20 participants with modules we will be fine.  If we get 10 people with modules and 10 people that just want to bring along a train to show off, then that's something that those of us going can decide at a later date.

​Although I'm the organiser on this occasion (again...), I'm not a dictator and thus any decisions like that will go around "the membership" (which is defined as those coming along with a module) nearer the time.

Edited by cromptonnut

• 2 weeks later...

So far the most popular 3 dates have 6 votes on them.

Ideally we really need a few more people for variety and to cover the inevitable "last minute drop out due to unforseen emergency" to make it worthwhile.

We still have a few weeks left on the poll but at the moment I'm not convinced numbers make it viable/cost effective.  Be grateful for people's thoughts.

I think at least 10 is probably a good number for variety otherwise we end up with either all stations, or all plain boards, and no variety, especially last time everything was single track so that did restrict operation somewhat.

• RMweb Gold

Maybe like the Freemo it's time to introduce operation so the freight actually goes between certain points. That keeps single lines interesting and you're not just sitting waiting for the section. I did that with my HOm and with four stations and three single sections it kept everyone busy and not bored.

It doesn't need the sophistication of the computer driven system for a small layout it can work with simple wagon cards. You'd need to decide on a rough period as mixing modern wagons with four wheel stock would be a bit odd but you could reasonably mix late big four up to early diesel.

Pickup goods and through freight plus passenger services could keep say 4-5 trains going and if a couple were the pickup goods with driver and shunter/guard they would be say 7 people occupied at once.

• Like 1

That would work, assuming we have enough modules with stations and enough modules with 'purpose' to achieve the above.

At the moment I haven't asked what modules might be available - that would be on the sign-up paperwork which would go out in due course should it go ahead.

It does need enough "station" modules to make it worthwhile, but the American freemo group I'm a member of can run a viable and interesting setup with 2 industry boards and a yard. And the yard could be a "virtual yard", or "table". It works because it focuses on pickup freights, so there's stuff to do at each "station".

I think to get this kind of thing off the ground properly, having fairly regular small scale meets would be more beneficial than trying to go big to start with, and it may build up a head of steam as the word gets out that it's happening (and having people along to watch & play will only help with that - the aim at this stage ought to be to get people inspired to build something and bring it along, and there's really no reason why a lot of existing exhibition layouts couldn't be used with fairly minimal modifications)

Completely​ agree, but since the "Dave" concept was first bandied about the one meeting I organised is the only meeting that has happened with anything modular, and that was three years ago.  It seems that we are ploughing a very lonely furrow in a very small field that isn't growing very much at all.

​I had hoped that we would inspire some other 'local groups' to get together - and perhaps groups could have met to make a larger meeting, as happens with the US modules.

​Of course, US railroading lends itself far more to the idea of a few small industry modules back to back to have a functional arrangement whereas it doesn't work so well with the "local pick up freight" IMO.  But that may be due to not having much knowledge or experience of US railroading - so I'm very happy for someone to prove me wrong and make it work under UK prototype.

I agree that existing layouts could be incorporated with very little adjustment, perhaps just different legs and a small 'converter' board on one or both ends, and we had just that with Shillingstone at the last meeting... but again if we end up with 10 layouts end to end and no corners or junctions then the hall isn't going to be big enough either.

I think there's just about enough people with some interest to get a 2 or 3 module layout going on a reasonably regular basis (not necessarily the same ones each time...) - quarterly or 3 times a year or similar, and by persisting - which will be no hardship if it's fun, and publicising it happening there's every chance of it growing eventually and perhaps justifying more frequent and bigger events. If people know that there's a good chance of using their modules, they'll be more inclined to build their home/ exhibition layouts (or parts thereof) in a manner which can be used with other Daves.

I am no great expert on British pickup freight operations (or american ones for that matter), but I don't see any fundamental differences between a train running up and down a line, serving the sidings/ industries as it goes in the UK and one in the US where it would do pretty much the same thing with different terminology. Some US industry modules can be pretty sprawling like some British stations which can take 30-45 minutes to switch. Ideally there would be a few "spacer" modules, but if there aren't then functionally it doesn't really matter that much. That's the kind of thing which can be addressed as and when the concept grows.

Agree that we don't need a huge amount of people, however the problem is the hall cost.  Divided by 10 people, it's very cheap.  Divided by 3, you can't help but wonder if it's worth it.  I personally wouldn't mind spending £20 but it's only just up the road for me, if someone's then got to spend £40 on fuel to get there and back, or include an overnight stay, then it becomes kinda prohibitive for all but the most hardcore Modular enthusiast.  I'm not sure we have any of those yet :)

Agree that we don't need a huge amount of people, however the problem is the hall cost. Divided by 10 people, it's very cheap. Divided by 3, you can't help but wonder if it's worth it. I personally wouldn't mind spending £20 but it's only just up the road for me, if someone's then got to spend £40 on fuel to get there and back, or include an overnight stay, then it becomes kinda prohibitive for all but the most hardcore Modular enthusiast. I'm not sure we have any of those yet :)

I guess if there's only 3 or 4 people with modules to bring then a smaller/ cheaper room could be hired. There's a few of us within striking distance of Grateley, and many villages and housing estates in the Hants/ Wilts area have halls which could be used.

I guess if there's only 3 or 4 people with modules to bring then a smaller/ cheaper room could be hired. There's a few of us within striking distance of Grateley, and many villages and housing estates in the Hants/ Wilts area have halls which could be used.

It's already a fairly small village hall I'm using, I'm not sure we can get much cheaper unless it's someones double garage.  But it all depends what we are bringing - if we're bringing a straight 4ft plain track board then we won't need much room, or stock, or time.  However we've got the possibility of two fiddle yards, two layouts (one through, one terminus) and a couple of intermediate boards, plus potentially some curved boards which I am going to be making which will eventually attach to my home layout as part of its "larger form" for exhibiting, whereas in the shed I'll simply be using setrack R2 and R3 curves to make it fit the space I have available but as it's all being built to the Dave standards they will be usable as modules in due course.  We will also need a junction, of some form, in order to add in some route options and give things a purpose.  

But once we are confident we have enough to go ahead (and let's face it, we are getting there with every chance that people will join us along the way) we can then see what modules people are offering and see if anyone is prepared to build an otherwise "not needed" plain track straight or curved board in order to give us a longer run.  If we can make an S shape in the hall then we could have over 100ft end to end at least given sufficient modules, perhaps more if we have junctions and small self contained little projects.

• Like 2

... if someone's then got to spend £40 on fuel to get there and back, or include an overnight stay, then it becomes kinda prohibitive...

I don't know the venue, but at our meetings it is possible to stay in the hall overnight. As we meet in a sports hall, toilets and shower rooms are provided. Most people has camping equipment or an air bed. Just a though...

Michael

It's on a very quite part of the forum but we still have 6 people expressed interest to the point of voting for dates and another half dozen following/making a contribution to the two threads on this. I think that may increase as activity picks up as we near the date.

• Like 1

I don't know the venue, but at our meetings it is possible to stay in the hall overnight. As we meet in a sports hall, toilets and shower rooms are provided. Most people has camping equipment or an air bed. Just a though...

It's just a village hall, it has a toilet and a kitchen but that's about it.  I don't believe overnight stays are permitted as there are clauses about 'hours of operation' in the hall deeds from when the land was originally deeded to the committee.   But booked in advance you can get very good deals on the chain hotels of which we have a fair few within 10 miles due to the closeness of Stonehenge.  One of the reasons - apart from giving us a chance to build things - I've set dates so far ahead.

• Like 1