• Saturday 13 April
    • Sunday 14 April
    • Saturday 27 April
    • Sunday 28 April
    • Saturday 4 May
    • Sunday 5 May
    • Saturday 18 May
    • Sunday 19 May

It's on a very quite part of the forum but we still have 6 people expressed interest to the point of voting for dates and another half dozen following/making a contribution to the two threads on this. I think that may increase as activity picks up as we near the date.

True, if those here showing interest could add the link to this thread into their signatures like I have, it may bring others over.  But I don't want to spam other areas of the forum about it.

• RMweb Gold

Well Temeraire and I were discussing how to adapt Tidworth too :)

I'm mulling over a couple of ideas, Lulworth is adaptable but the runround too short really for this so I'm torn between a simple quarry to the standard that will fit onto Lulworth too or a board that mixes my 009 standard with 'Dave' ;)

Well Temeraire and I were discussing how to adapt Tidworth too :)

I'm mulling over a couple of ideas, Lulworth is adaptable but the runround too short really for this so I'm torn between a simple quarry to the standard that will fit onto Lulworth too or a board that mixes my 009 standard with 'Dave' ;)

A short runround on Lulworth isn't necessarily a bad thing, in real life you won't have branches that can take 12 carriage trains so if it's just long enough for a DMU to run down and back that's fine.  Remember we mix eras and regions so if we have an NSE DMU in the platform and a steam 0-6-0 shuffling wagons in the yard it doesn't matter.  Whilst prototypical operation is preferred,  mixing stuff isn't an issue.

As for bringing in OO-9, if you can build an interchange board then I personally have no problems with fitting in a OO-9 branch going off in a different direction, you never know I might have managed to get something with those end boards too...

Although you'd need shorter legs, and I don't know how high it is, as you can see there's a perfect little stage area for a self contained OO-9.

post-8328-0-27066100-1526718456.jpg

Edited by cromptonnut
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is this still a 'thing'?

I ask as I missed this first time round, and would rather much like to involve myself at some stage. I note the final date shown is last Saturday, as was the last post, but is there a chance of this in the future? 

Bognor is currently booked to be built to the standards (If they allow for Single Track?) whilst my future Barnham, Yapton, Ford, Littlehampton, Lynminster (possibly Arundel, Angmering and Goring too) and Chichester layouts are also scheduled for the standards in order that they could be joined together and services from Chichester and Bognor run through to Littlehampton or other lines out of Ford/Arundel Junction. I plan the layouts to be pre-grouping (Thus making station sizes smaller and track layouts more interesting) and fully modular in the sense that each one could be joined to the others, the exceptions being the single track boards (Probably only Bognor, which would simply have to join either to a fiddle yard or to Barnham).

We are currently still discussing things, there is a poll at the top of this discussion  people to put what dates are convenient, and very shortly we will be deciding whether to go ahead with a date in April or May 2019.  You would of course be more than welcome to join us.  It seems that there are just a few of us nutters in the south east that like the modular standards and it hasn't taken off anywhere else in the UK (other modular standards for other interests do, however).

Appreciate your boards are normally 'pre grouping', however with modular meets it's more a case of "anything goes" and we overlook the fact that your Terrier is pottering about in the yard whilst a blue/grey CEP sits in the platform awaiting a Freightliner 66 on a container train to pass through.  With our modular stuff, the emphasis is letting your trains stretch their wheels on a much larger expanse than they have the opportunity to at home, and to have a basic operational practice (ie stop trains crashing) I think last year we had 54ft from fiddle yard exit to the "terminator" 4 inch board with a buffer stop on them that I made.

Vote away... and let's see what happens.  We are just around the "viable" stage at present although we may well of course encourage others to join along the way once they see something is definitely happening.

Right... our end of month deadline is approaching.  A few of you who have expressed interest in coming along haven't yet voted.  Please ensure you do select your availability asap.

At the moment we are a little below my preferred number of 10, however we may pick a few up between now and then - assuming of course everyone that says they are coming does come.  Hopefully if the date chosen is one that one of you cannot make, you might be able to make arrangements with almost a year's notice to be available?

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully if the date chosen is one that one of you cannot make, you might be able to make arrangements with almost a year's notice to be available?

Yes hopefully but as they won't accept applications for leave for the next year until December it leaves me unable to be certain until then unless it falls on a weekend off anyway. ;)

Yes hopefully but as they won't accept applications for leave for the next year until December it leaves me unable to be certain until then unless it falls on a weekend off anyway. ;)

I suffer from the same restriction, however even if you don't start building something until December that still gives 5 months :) Whatever date we pick is going to not work for someone... but maybe another time it will :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Very tolerant, it's that simplicity that means we had three crews building out from one point at the last US meet I got to. When Nut and I did a test on his slightlyly uneven paving it only took a couple of minutes to assemble two modules and run a train.

I'm hoping to do another of my Freem009 setups in December and apart from Gauge and board height the principle is identical and allows people to get hands on.

• Like 1

I had best look at building a module then! May not be Bognor this time, but I'll think of something.

Even a simple 4ft long flat, straight board is a helpful 'spacer' :)

If everyone who brings something brings a corner or a straight board that's quite simple, it all adds length to the overall situation.  My guess is that we'll need a couple of junctions too.

• RMweb Gold

My plan is to use this as an excuse to build a Southern 00 junction (double track main/single track branch) that I have had in mind for some years now. So much great Southern stock produced by Hornby & Bachmann in recent years, it needs to be done.

But I will do a few plain track modules as well including some that can provide a link between single and double track or be used as a crossing place.

• Like 1

I may just do a diorama-type scene... Might do a small crossing box scene, with (perhaps) a halt or siding. Could double as a photo plank, so I may do a BR(S) one, Preserved one and pre-grouping one. The pre-grouping one may be a railmotor halt, the BR(S) one a simple crossing box on a double track and the preservation one could be a single-double track one, with perhaps a typical heritage railway 'junk siding'.

• Like 1

Am

I may just do a diorama-type scene... Might do a small crossing box scene, with (perhaps) a halt or siding. Could double as a photo plank, so I may do a BR(S) one, Preserved one and pre-grouping one. The pre-grouping one may be a railmotor halt, the BR(S) one a simple crossing box on a double track and the preservation one could be a single-double track one, with perhaps a typical heritage railway 'junk siding'.

Anything is helpful (more or less!) - I have "The Terminator", which is a 4" wide board consisting of 2 inches of track, a buffer stop and some grass, that finishes off a line.  That's useful, so even a 4ft board with a small halt on a single track is an additional stop somewhere along the line for some trains, others can go straight through with no problem.  Creativity is the key :)

• Like 1

Actually, I could make the preserved one a double track crossover, but model one of the tracks as more overgrown to suggest disuse, and (depending on its location) could put some dead stock on it. If not then it can be used as a crossover for reversing.

Actually...

How about a reversing siding?

Actually, I could make the preserved one a double track crossover, but model one of the tracks as more overgrown to suggest disuse, and (depending on its location) could put some dead stock on it. If not then it can be used as a crossover for reversing.

Actually...

How about a reversing siding?

I originally had plans for an 8ft diameter circle, double track at the exit but a crossover and single track on the loop but that never materialised. Not sure exactly what you're referring to as a 'reversing siding', a sketch or pictures would be handy.

It's worth noting that the 18/19 May 2019 is confirmed as being the Christow (Devon) Freemo meet. Although that weekend is presently the most popular in the poll, Paul and I both do the American scene (maybe others, I don't know everyone), so would be faced with a choice.

Edited by Zomboid

Is this enough of an illustration?

fb4da1dca4efff33d49db599ae115d35.jpg

Harrow & Wealdstone, Bakerloo Line, with a train of 1972 stock sat in the siding and a 390 passing on the Down Fast. The line on the left is the Down Bakerloo, which comes into the siding. The line on the right is the Up Bakerloo which comes out of it. The lines beyond the points are the Up and Down Overground lines, or Watford DC Lines, depending on your generation. Note that, although present, the centre conductor rail beyond the points has been taken off of its insulators given that Bakerloo services don't go beyond Harrow & Wealdstone these days, and the DC Lines have been Third rail ever since the Bakerloo ceased to serve Watford Junction in the 80s.

I think the arrangement is quite clear to see?

The idea would be to allow a train to be reversed before actually reaching the end of the line. The arrangement, as shown, would allow a train to be brought into the siding and held whilst other trains pass, before it is sent back to where it came from but on the right line. A loop would be best for the 'end of the line', but this provides an alternative means of reversing a train before then.

Another example, this time in Liverpool:

LiverpoolCentralSouthJunction.jpg

And finally, going overkill on the pictures, one from the Central Line:

DSC_6053-L.jpg

Indeed I may be tempted to actually model a real one as a module. Harrow & Wealdstone is tempting, though I would be modelling it in LNWR days if I can find proof of its existence. If not then BR(M) days with ex-LNWR Oerlikons, ex-LMS GEC's, nice shiny new BR Class 501's, the beautiful things that are 1938 Tube Stock and maybe even a very shiny and new class 313, probably 313001. I have wanted to model a bit of the old Watford DC, with its old LMS Searchlight Signals for a while now and this may prove the chance to do it. If I go for an LNWR era version then that satisfies my other desire for a pre-grouping electric layout. I would probably represent the WCML with a photographic backscene, though this is complicated if trying to do a pre-1960s scene as the knitting gets in the way somewhat.

Edited by sem34090