Wigan Springs Branch re-born !

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

Mention elsewhere that’s 195 has christened the new facilities today 

A couple of 195s visited the depot a few weeks back. Unfortunately I can't remember the date but when I went past one unit was going through the washer (presumably to test it) and the other was berthed in one of the sidings.

• Informative/Useful 2

I just came across this interesting youtube vid

A bit complicated. Seems trains for the new depot sidings won't use the new headshunt with the double crossover at the south end (is this only used to access the old depot ?) and must also pass through the new washing plant to access the new yard.. I hope it doesn't freeze up and trap all the trains in the new sidings one cold early morning !!

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Owd Bob said:

The new depot is supposed to be officially opened today with the creation of 20 new jobs....wow! :rolleyes:

1 Big boss

2 Big bosses assistants

4 Junior managers

3 Foremen

1 Fitter with big hammer

1 Fitter with 2 spanners

1 Electrician with neon screwdriver

2 General cleaners

2 Window cleaners

1 Wringer out for the one armed window cleaner

1 Tea brewer

1 Pie fetcher & warmer (THE most important position !!!)

And as today is Friday (POETS day) they will all bu**er off home at 1.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still, 20 jobs is 20 jobs !!!!

Brit15

• Funny 8

Apollo! I'd have thought they'd need those 20 new job positions just to change all those new manual points. Well i had to go and look over Taylors Ln. bridge to see what was happening today at the grand opening, and 'nowt' is the word, i saw no ribbon cutting wi big scissors or any fancy clothes wearing big wigs in sight, in fact it was dead on the shed and around the new depot. :D It is all looking very neat and tidy now, hopefully it's finally all finished and it is'nt keeping the locals up all neet any more. I've stuck a pic' of this pointy thing on as well which was passing going North about 1.15pm.

2020-02-07_13_27_43.jpg

2020-02-07_13_29_00.jpg

2020-02-07_13_28_37.jpg

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, LMS2968 said:

In Wigan? Only one pie fetcher for all those pies?

Everything's up to date these days (getting like Kansas City !!!) - the fetcher orders them on line, quickly delivered !!

home-3.jpg

I must have just missed you Bob, I visited about 12.30 today for a few minutes after dropping the daughter off in town, nowt on the main line, a 319 was parked up the headshunt and a brand new 2 car DMU came off the headshunt and headed for the DED according to the shunt signal shown just behind the second mast in the photo. All the men in suits (orange & pinstripe) were visible by their absence as you said.

Nice and sunny but bl**dy cold so I went wom.

I'll go again when its a bit warmer. 

Brit15

• Like 2

I see that Springs Branch is host a 769 electro diesel.

I saw , at Euxton, that the 5Z40 1249 Springs Branch Stabl Sdg to Blackpool North was using one.

Sorry, no photo, I was looking the wrong way, at the time.

• Informative/Useful 1

More political propaganda and waffle in my opinion, it all seems a small amount of jobs created for all that time, money and mess they created over the last 12 months or more. They must have opened it at first light this morn' all hidden around the corner from public view as well. And the only time i want to visit any Wigan station Mrs Local MP and Co. is to catch a train out of it asap.:D

• Like 1

Good to see railway investment here in Wigan though. Now we need Wigan - Lostock Jcn electrifrying, along with the Atherton Southport & Kirkby line with a new branch to Skelmersdale  (most of which is in the planning stage so I read).

As to "our leaders" - nuff said !!

Brit15

• Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, leander22b said:

Northern have started training with the class 769s off juice. 769442 is passing through Parbold with the 3Z51 Springs Branch - Southport - Springs Branch on 18th February 2020.

Phil

Look No Wires!

IMGP1341_1s.jpg

This may be it again, later today.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/S00139/2020-02-18/detailed

• Informative/Useful 2

• 4 months later...

Hot and sunny had to go to Lidl so I carried on a bit to take a quick look at 8F

Just a Pendo on the main and some nodding donkeys seemingly parked up. Are these in store or in use ? - strange places to store them though. To hot this time to stay so I went wom.

IMG_1411RSZD.JPG.82675572f026eba4b78fca3a649e4150.JPG

IMG_1417RSZD.JPG.89b44290972f35d9a204e5c206b65a1b.JPG

IMG_1425RSZD.JPG.2209f4ea94b77ceb157f16aefcca9ed5.JPG

Brit15

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

There the 142s returning from store, was told by a Newton Heath lad that they are booked for exams. Make of that what you want but I’ve heard something is on the cards for them.

• Thanks 1