Wigan Springs Branch re-born !

Isn't that one of those new 195s? (Can't see a pan on it, but you saw it in real life).

I wouldnt know one unit from another i'm afraid these days but i'm sure one went South just before that one came North, it looked exactly the same to me! Never even looked for a pan they just don't interest me. Sorry! Just blew the pic up and it's 195 103.

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 1

I wouldnt know one unit from another i'm afraid these days but i'm sure one went South just before that one came North, it looked exactly the same to me! Never even looked for a pan they just don't interest me. Sorry! Just blew the pic up and it's 195 103.

That's serendipitous! Inadvertently captured an historic moment!!!

Ref the steam crane info from Martyn Hilbert's Flicker account - the picture appears to be the same as well.

Breakdown Crane (TDM1001) - Wigan Springs Branch.

The Breakdown Crane at Wigan Springs Branch complete with its attendant runner trucks, was stabled under the partial cover of the old steam running shed at Wigan Springs Branch on the evening of September 27th 1977. Built by Cowans Sheldon in 1931 for the LMS, the 45 Ton Steam Crane was formerly at Lostock Hall depot before being transferred to Wigan in 1972 following the cessation of locomotive activity at 10D.

Above info from a search using " Wigan Cowan Sheldon".

Gordon A

Gordon A

Hi Gordon,

Here is a little extra info on the crane for you might be interested in,

As originally built it was a 36T crane carrying LMS number MP2, BR numbers RS1001/50, latterly AMD 1001 and works number 5112/6637. It was strengthened and up rated to 50T in either 1937 or 1938 after the LMS acquired the then new pacific type locomotives which were over 100T in working order.

Its allocations were,

1. Carlisle Durran Hill 2/31
  2. Carlisle Kingmoor 3/36
  3. Lostock Hall 7/62
  4. Wigan Springs Branch 3/72-4/81

It was indeed sold into preservation at the Midland Railway Trust in Butterley.

Gibbo.

That's serendipitous! Inadvertently captured an historic moment!!!

Oh B*LL%(£$,  shame my camera and the pic' it took is such poor quality then.....Drat! :fool:  Heres all three of the same unit i took if they are of any use.

post-31611-0-23516000-1536924525_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-44037500-1536924654_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-98160400-1536924561_thumb.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 3

Nice photos Bob - I've not been for a while due to Hols. I wonder why they've not connected the new lines to the existing point on the goods lines ?

The 4 points & crossover seem a bit complicated for a manually point worked headshunt - still nice to see new track at "The Branch"

I believe there is soon to be a Liverpool - Glasgow service introduced via St Helens Central (or perhaps Golborne & St Helens Jcn). Are these new units for that ?

Many moons ago a Clan hauled Manchester Exchange to Glasgow express would pass this way having come via Tyldesley & Hindley Green - a "proper" train !!

Brit15

• Like 3

Oh! Hindley Green station, just over the field from my house! they've been rodding and cleaning out a lot of the old track side drains right from Westleigh Ln. down to Hindley Green for the last few weeks. Hard to believe such well loved classes of steam locos' once passed so close, i went over the 'Springs view' road bridge this morning near the Cricket ground, it's also hard to believe what famous stuff once went under that road bridge! Have'nt got a clue what these units will be using the depot when it opens Apollo, maybe it's for these new fangled 195 things?  If they are to be one man operated trains then drivers will love getting out and walking to change all those manual points.....NOT! Leaving the units ticking over for several minutes at a time whilst they do and right behind those houses all day and night! :mosking:  Must say though that the new passing unit was really silent this morn'  :secret:

• Like 1

Nice photos Bob - I've not been for a while due to Hols. I wonder why they've not connected the new lines to the existing point on the goods lines ?

The 4 points & crossover seem a bit complicated for a manually point worked headshunt - still nice to see new track at "The Branch"

I believe there is soon to be a Liverpool - Glasgow service introduced via St Helens Central (or perhaps Golborne & St Helens Jcn). Are these new units for that ?

Many moons ago a Clan hauled Manchester Exchange to Glasgow express would pass this way having come via Tyldesley & Hindley Green - a "proper" train !!

Brit15

Now then gents,

They could reinstate Golborne station pretty easily, the slow lines are still slewed away from the fasts meaning they could reinstate the station at relatively little cost to the taxpayer, a la Euxton Balshaw Lane (ie serving the slow lines only). The only Achilles Heel would be parking.

Whether there is the political will to do this I don't know, but I hope they do at some point. A ten minute journey time from Golborne to Wigan NW surely beats the bus or car.

Edited by E3109
  • Like 1

I agree! And there has been mutterings for a few years about opening a station at Golbourne, shame theres no room for parking, maybe they could demolish something nearby and make a park & ride car park for the station, i've never noticed but what room is there on the old Golbourne pit site just opposite?  i'd certainly use it if it ever came off, it would be much easier for me to get to and use than going to Wigan or Warrington, its more likely to happen than ever re-opening one in my home town. :threaten:

Trouble with a station at Golborne is what service(s) would stop there ? Perhaps the Man Airport - Blackpool service The Trans Pennines don't now stop at Wigan and will divert via Bolton when electrification is complete. Present trains to Warrington etc passing Golborne are all Expresses - Pendolinos & Voyagers - I doubt they will stop - however it would be nice to see more stations in our general area, and an extension of the Tram network Manchester - Leigh - Hindley - Wigan, getting rid of that (mis) guided busway !!

Brit15

• Like 1

Brit15

The Liverpool to Glasgow is a TPE service not Northern. The CAF class 195 DMU and 331 EMU are for Northern. The class 195s will work many of the new ‘Northern Connect’ premium services.

TPE are getting a fleet of CAF class 397 EMU (125mph) for the Manchester & Liverpool to Scotland services to replace the 350/4. No class 397 in the U.K. yet. The Liverpool service start date has been delayed from Dec 2018 into 2019.

Trouble with a station at Golborne is what service(s) would stop there ? Perhaps the Man Airport - Blackpool service The Trans Pennines don't now stop at Wigan and will divert via Bolton when electrification is complete. Present trains to Warrington etc passing Golborne are all Expresses - Pendolinos & Voyagers - I doubt they will stop - however it would be nice to see more stations in our general area, and an extension of the Tram network Manchester - Leigh - Hindley - Wigan, getting rid of that (mis) guided busway !!

Brit15

Indeed, sadly it appears that local politicians favour Burnham's model in fact it was only the other week that Yvonne Forvaurge (sp?) was promoting Burnham's Tramway.

She still wants to 'upgrade' (sic) the Atherton line to streetcar operation , I can't see how Network Rail would ever agree to that seeing as it's pretty much the only viable diversionary route should the Bolton route go T.U. ... Which it often does.

That in itself wouldn't be so bad if only she hadn't turned up on the RMT pickets at Wallgate in favour of keeping the guard on the train (Lisa Nandy is no different) don't these people realise that by degrading railways into tramways there is in fact no guard on board?

The hypocrisy of these people defies belief.

Anyway look on the bright side, at least Smith is toast around these parts! He may still be a councillor but I think even he realises his time/influence is up.

If Golborne station was reinstated it would add max 2 minutes in dwell time, if the WNW stop was reinstated it would put 4 mins max on the WTT.

I say bring it on.

Edited by E3109
  • Like 1

We use Daisy Hill, Atherton Central and Newton Le Willows stations a lot, mainly to get to Hospitals in Manchester and Liverpool, and all these stations are only a 20 mins' drive away on a good day! They are OK for local stuff but a direct link to a main line that actually gets us out of the North West so we can visit the wider World :jester:  The Atherton line is a good diversionary route to keep, judging by the meaty engine noises i often hear coming from the Daisy Hill area especially at night, it sounds like quite a lot of loco' hauled stuff must use it. Great that Lord 'S' has gone, but nowt will change whilst this party is in power around here and he's still pulling the strings from the sidelines! They'll just keep on sticking 100% to the party line/script and carrying on as useless as ever.  :no:

TBH I do sense a change in the air re WMBC Bob, but it'll take a few years.

Incidentally I was at WNW the other day and Ms Nandy was hobnobbing with the 2nd class plebs as is her wont, of course the moment the delayed Pendo rolled in she legged it to the First Class bit of the platform.

She thought nobody saw this but I did.

She is the granddaughter of Lord Byers, a fact she doesn't like to be reminded of.... Google him if you wish.

All I care about, apart from close family and good friends, is the fate of our country (and thus our railway) and especially the NW.

Edited by E3109
  • Like 1

I just caught the tail end of working for BR, an absolutely fantastic organisation in general although not without its faults, like everything else.

On the one hand I felt as though I was doing something for the good of the country, I felt like part of a well-oiled machine in many respects but on the other hand a nationalised sector is also, theoretically more at risk from direct government interference.

To be fair the current structure is arguably even more at risk of direct govt interference.

No idea what the solution is really.

• Like 3

I worked in the Gas industry all my life, starting with The North western Gas Board at Wigan Gas Works in Sept 1969. We were privatised in 1986 but still had a good boss at the helm (Sir Denis Rooke). Things were OK till around 1996 when the company was split three ways, and went "down the grid" (for us) in 2002 when Transco was merged into National Grid. I took voluntary redundancy in 2003 - never looked back.

Its now gone a lot worse (for employees & customers) as networks have been sold off to Cadent - owned by Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets, Allianz Capital Partners, Hermes Investment Management, CIC Capital Corporation, Qatar Investment Authority, Dalmore Capital and Amber Infrastructure Limited/International Public Partnerships

God knows who that lot are !!!

As E3109 did with BR, I thoroughly enjoyed my years with "The Gas Board" and British Gas. Happy days (most of em !!).

Best wishes to the future of our railways, employees and customers.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 2

Gents, I forgot to mention before.

The GB Railfreight charity tour has been running over the last couple of days.

Dunno if you're interested, but it passes through Wigan NW this afternoon, booked time 13.58.

It's a pair of Freightliner 86/6s working Carlisle to Crewe, these locos haven't worked a passenger train in at least ten years. Just thought I'd tip you off if you're about, cheers.

.She still wants to 'upgrade' (sic) the Atherton line to streetcar operation , I can't see how Network Rail would ever agree to that seeing as it's pretty much the only viable diversionary route should the Bolton route go T.U. ... Which it often does.

Tram-trains are coming into fashion (Sheffield and South Wales are both getting some), so that could be a possibility?

Probably still a downgrade if your journey is more than a couple of stops, though.

The Wigan - Atherton - Manchester line was once a 4 track high speed line - the pride of the Lancashire & Yorkshire railway - downgraded to a Tram ? - that's progress !!!!!

expressTrain.jpg

crownestjcn1956.jpg

Still I suppose the punters today couldn't give a rats - too busy tapping on their precious iphones !!!!

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 5

Nice pics of Crows Nest Junc' :) Wonder what the same view is today? Just found this..not quite a peak but this time a class 60, 60 080 has fallen foul in a similar place. T'was a very cold, frosty & misty morn' and the re-railing coaches are out with 31 130. on 22nd Dec' 1994.

post-31611-0-33173300-1537781692_thumb.jpg

• Like 7