Wigan Springs Branch re-born !

Nice pic' taken over the bridge i can't lift my arms that high up anymore :lol: Really good progress made in the last few weeks. I think there will be a lot of complaints from the locals once this is all up and running, especially if there's any night time movements, they've either got too used to the quiet over the last 20 years or are recent incomers to the area, so i would'nt be surprised to see the 'For Sale' signs going up by the dozen very soon!:mocking_mini:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Only a passing visit early on Sunday afternoon.  Concrete pads and shuttering is going in place for the overhead masts. Got speaking to a few of the locals who are'nt happy at all with the amount of work noise and goings on during all hours of the night and day, and since a lot of trees have been removed they are not happy with the amount of noise now coming off the passing trains on the WCML. I was told the back fences and gardens of those bunglelows off Taylors Ln. are said to have slipped and are falling over down the embankment. I was told official complaints have been made but have fallen on deaf ears as yet. Saw plenty of machines and dumpers working yesterday mainly moving spoil about. Not a good advert to see the vast amount of weeds coming back up all around the depot, especially with all that weed killing equipment they must have here sat around.:rolleyes:

DSC03970sp2-6-19.jpg

DSC03983sp_2-6-19.jpg

DSC03987sp_1.6_19..jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...

Went for a look today, masts are up and a bit more progress made. A guy on site reckons september opening, (perhaps - I doubt it). The carriage washer is being installed.

1802640596_IMG_1116rszd.jpg.c3048163efde341248064fb842804cb8.jpg1749397022_IMG_1118rszd.jpg.0219c5944edb48667ec33c0e2e134ccc.jpg

662874069_IMG_1124rszd.jpg.092961e0fd699406921b4705950f06fa.jpg

795165752_IMG_1130rszd.jpg.af0872232966b26ff1ac7bcb7031cd60.jpg

As to weeds I've just come back from a two week holiday, the rate of growth in my back garden was unbelievable, grass 9" high etc. 

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
typo
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Called in for an hour today 1.00pm -2.00pm, a lot of work going on all over the site, new Green coloured fences now put up at the back of the bunglelows and elsewhere on the site. The overhead cables are now going up. 

2019-08-11_13_06_11.jpg

2019-08-11 13.04.31sp.jpg

sp.jpg

2019-08-11_13_04_45.jpg

• Like 11

Looks very neat and tidy Owd Bob - a bit posh for Ince !!!

Good to see rail investment in the area. Carry on to Leigh soon ?

I'll go for a sken next week.

Brit15

• Like 1

I give up on ever seeing a line in Leigh again Apollo:cray_mini: I'm getting used to using Daisy Hill or the nice new station at Newton Le Willows nowadays. The dragon in law is at the Wigan eye hosp' this afternoon, so whilst swmbo is using the car she can drop me off on the way on king St. and i'll hang around Wallgate & NW station for a few hours, i might as well go spot a few 142's before they get scrapped, and hopefully i'll see a few proper loco's as well....i'll take my camera just in case, the desperation in seeing a few 142's shows i really don't get out enough these days:mocking_mini::D

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

A few pics' from a quick visit and a chat with a local who says the new depot is supposed to be official opened next week, and that the new units are also expected next week! Looked like a lot of tidying up and snagging was going on all over the site with bits left everywhere. At least the locals in the bungalows are getting new fences. Taylors Lane bridge is having the stone walls made higher and they are currently fenced off, if left as was it's probably too easy for some idiot to touch the live wires.:rolleyes:

2019-09-26_13_39_27.jpg

2019-09-26_13_37_25.jpg

2019-09-26_13_37_56.jpg

• Like 7

Bit of a change from January 1969 !! The bungalows above are where the terraced houses are below.

2013-01-08-19-12-52.jpg.589ec0eef478c5aa18c69bc191c5a691.jpg

New trains on Springs Branch - great news.

brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Owd Bob said:

A few pics' from a quick visit and a chat with a local who says the new depot is supposed to be official opened next week, and that the new units are also expected next week! Looked like a lot of tidying up and snagging was going on all over the site with bits left everywhere. At least the locals in the bungalows are getting new fences. Taylors Lane bridge is having the stone walls made higher and they are currently fenced off, if left as was it's probably too easy for some idiot to touch the live wires.:rolleyes:

2019-09-26_13_37_25.jpg

2019-09-26_13_37_56.jpg

Are those walkways or is it just for trunking? And if the former then why would they need them? I thought this was just a headshunt?

They are both walkways and the trunking, made with lift out concrete panels and metal grids!  The local i spoke to also wondered why they had new re-fuelling provisions set up when its supposed to be for new electric units.

Apollo! I think the bungalows have had their rear gardens shortened somewhat with the new fence lines! Looks like a few crafty folk had accidentally on purpose sort of moved their fences down the embankment a bit over the years. ;):lol:

This class 66 came passed whilst i was there at 1.58pm. 66 622. Nice to see a loco' instead of all them poxy units passing by the old depot! :D The Autumn colours of the trees in the background should look great in a few weeks time.

2019-09-26_15_03.38-2.666sp..jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Owd Bob said:

This class 66 came passed whilst i was there at 1.58pm. 66 622. Nice to see a loco' instead of all them poxy units passing by the old depot! :D The Autumn colours of the trees in the background should look great in a few weeks time.

66622 was listed on TOPS as working 6H51, 11.04 Hardendale Quarry Shap to Tunstead Sidings.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H00969/2019/09/26/advanced

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Had another chance to call in this morn' the rail mounted digger was busy picking/tidying up stuff in its bucket in the heavy rain, but most workers were notable by their absence.  I think all the walkways are needed as most of the points still look like they have to be manually operated. :unknw_mini:

2019-09-27_13_49_03.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Good to see the new development - can remember when the sidings were used for stabling MGR rakes in between Bickershaw / Fidlers Ferry duties along with acting as a dump for withdrawn stuff.

Here's my link to those past times.

Edited by SP Steve
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Got talking to a workman on here yesterday who said they won't be done and finished until the end of Jan' next year. The Taylors Ln. bridge ends have been rebuilt in matching stones so no one can reach or see over it anymore. These two machines were dragging some long steel piling/shuttering sheets towards the end of the line, where there seemed to be a lot of men and groundworks happening, maybe all the very wet weather has caused a land slip somewhere? 

2019-11-15_1_00_27sp..jpg

2019-11-15_14_30_48_sp..jpg

• Like 8