GER Wagon Transfers

Way back at the beginning of time, or at least Issue 2 of MRJ, they reviewed a set of waterslide transfers for GN and GE wagons marketed by Richard Tarpey. Sadly, Richard has since passed on, and I wondered if anyone is still selling anything similar? Fox haven't got round to the GER and I know that POWsides do a set of transfers for GER open wagons, but they are the dryprint type, and I can foresee complications in applying the smaller lettering and numbers on the channel solebars, and I have a suspicion that the main lettering will be too large for the two-plank wagon I want it for. Any suggestions - I don't intend to go down the DIY route?

Martin

Thanks for the swift reply, especially for the OTW reference of which I was unaware - However, I cannot see any suitable GER lettering on their lists. I had checked HMRS already, they only do LNER wagon lettering, although the sheet does contain M&GN items which might be usable in conjunction withh an E from NE. The GERS don't seem to supply their own transfers, and their excellent 4mm modelling PDF doesn't mention it - have I missed something?

Nick

The only company that has been brought to my attention regarding GE transfers is the following from page 40 of the East Anglian 4mm modelling document you mention:

4.1.5 Blackham Transfers

http://www.blackhamtransfers.com/index.html

Custom and off-the-shelf dry transfers, also known as rub down transfers or rub-on, are self-adhesive ink image, which are released from their plastic carrier film by pressure, without the addition of water or another liquid solvent.

Great Eastern Railway

RB5301 5 colour GER for locos;

RB5302 2 colour loco buffer beam numbers + No;

RB5304 wagon lettering & numbers;

RB5305 2 colour wagon lettering Great Eastern Railway - from 1921;

RB5303 loco tender & buffer beam numbers + No

If this info is out of date, perhaps someone could advise.

Regards

Paul

• 3 years later...

I have been wrestling with this issue for some time. The POWSides decals are good, but as dry rub they are often brittle when attempting to apply them to the prominent framing on the outside of many of the GER wagons and vans available. Accordingly I am contemplating commissioning HMRS to produce a set as I get on well with their approach and quality of product. Would this be of interest to anyone else? My plan is to produce the sheet in such a way as to provide ready numbers for the variety of wagons and vans out there, including the D&s ones available on eBay and those in current range such as those produced by Peter K.

Alternatively the sheet could be produced as waterside. Any thoughts etc?

Pricing to the community would be at market rate, not subsidizing the production cost, which I know I will have to bear just to get this done - rather recouping some costs rather than making a fortune for myself!

I have been wrestling with this issue for some time. The POWSides decals are good, but as dry rub they are often brittle when attempting to apply them to the prominent framing on the outside of many of the GER wagons and vans available. Accordingly I am contemplating commissioning HMRS to produce a set as I get on well with their approach and quality of product. Would this be of interest to anyone else? My plan is to produce the sheet in such a way as to provide ready numbers for the variety of wagons and vans out there, including the D&s ones available on eBay and those in current range such as those produced by Peter K.

Alternatively the sheet could be produced as waterside. Any thoughts etc?

Pricing to the community would be at market rate, not subsidizing the production cost, which I know I will have to bear just to get this done - rather recouping some costs rather than making a fortune for myself!

I had a similar wrestling match on LB&SCR loco lining. I dealt with Wessex Transfers (then in Bournemouth, now in Tasmania) who produce waterslide transfers and did a very satisfactory job. Happy to discuss further off line if that would be helpful. 

Best wishes

Eric

Good idea.. but I am trying to avoid that word 'tricky'...

But life is like that and it may come to it, so your effort was not in vain!

You can turn any dry print into water slide by just applying them to waterslide clear paper and then on as per .The tricky one is turning waterslide into dry print :-)

So far this is my initial list of wagons/vans for decals sets. Any more ideas?

Open Wagons Source Kit #

GER 10t 5 Plank D&S Kits DS109

GER 3 Plank D&S Kits DS140

GER 3 Plank (drop end) D&S Kits DS141

GER 7 plank open D&S Kits DS142

GER Round ended open ?

GER Sand Wagon K's

GER Wool wagon Peter K

Vans

GER 10t O/sf Van D&S Kits

GER 10t Ventilated (Fitted) D&S Kits DS102

GER 10t Ventilated (unfitted) D&S Kits DS101

GER 8t O/sf Van (Worsdall) Peter K PK 81/92

Cattle

GER 10t Cattle D&S Kits DS 103

Brake Vans

GER 10t 4-wheel brake van D&S Kits

GER 20t 4-wheel brake van Jidenco

GER 20t 4-wheel brake van D&S Kits DS136

Other

GER 14t Machine Wagon D&S Kits

My proposal is for sets to include pre and post 1910 (?) size lettering (small G.E.R. as well as large G E), number sets made up including solebar numbers, tare weights and even buffer beam numbering.

In addition, since the initial sheet must be quite large (A4), I am now contemplating coach and locomotive insignia also.

I am looking support/comments guidance etc - and my thanks for the above already.

Best,

Marcus

• 3 months later...

Hi Marcus,

There is also the five-plank Dia. 17 open wagon by D&S, reference DS112, or the same to Dia. 16, ref DS109.  I have respectively four and five of those to be built :-)

Cheers

Flymo

• 10 months later...

Well, now, to return to this seemingly abandoned subject and on to my current thoughts. I have looked at a number of wagons for which to provide transfers, so we can all revel in those dark grey conveyances on our layouts.

The trouble is that my aim has been to supply transfers to a readily available wagon. RTR GER? Not a hope. GER wagon kits, yes, but of the more complex and less accessible order (old D&S via auction if you can get a mortgage, Stelfox ditto, Peter K etched kits and so on...).

Which brings me to one of my favorite wagons and one typical of my chosen branch line; the 14T Machine wagon. Those lucky enough to own or win (on an auction site) a D&S version have the real thing, but for those who do not, rush out and buy the Dapol kit instead. Here we have what is essentially the BR version of the LNER version of the GER version. If we all do a quick 'Clint squint' we can see that in a quick passing this can be passed off as the GER original - particularly for those adept at a bit of finessing, some LMS buffers, Exactoscale couplings and hook, decent wheels and so on. A quick squirt of the Precision Paint GER wagon grey and...

You need my decals...

The plan being to provide sets of decals to finish this kit as the GER version as a first offering, as an easily accessible GER wagon, and see where we go from there...

Any comments?

Best,

Marcus

You need my decals...

The plan being to provide sets of decals to finish this kit as the GER version as a first offering, as an easily accessible GER wagon, and see where we go from there...

Any comments?

Best,

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

That's a great idea.  I'd certainly be interested in a few sets of your transfers.

Please keep us informed on progress.

Cheers

Flymo

Oops sorry! Thought we were talking 4mm here?

Stewart

I am planning these in 4mm scale, but once the artwork is done, demand from the 7mm community can be met as easily. It just take me getting off my chair and doing it...

• 2 years later...

Ok, two years later...

I have just commissioned a 4mm scale (7mm can be done once the artwork is done) set of waterslide decals for the GER diagram 17 open wagon in all its variants. They feature a set of pre-made numbers that have been taken from photographs of the original wagons as well as the large sized GE lettering, tare numbers, also pre-made and correct, smaller GER lettering and so on so you can have a wagon that looks like this: 

post-6357-0-70189900-1476369847.jpg

There will be enough for twelve differently numbered wagons and a six sets of spare numbers on each sheet: 

It is designed for the D&S kit for the diag 17, which has been out of circulation for some time. However, Danny still has the moulds and, on receipt of a nice letter and SAE may well produce a batch of them depending on demand. Of course, it is a 5 plank open wagon so I guess more or less any one will do!

Form an orderly queue please...

Open Wagons Source Kit #

GER Round ended open ?

GER Sand Wagon K's

GER Wool wagon Peter K

Vans

Cattle

Brake Vans

Other

My proposal is for sets to include pre and post 1910 (?) size lettering (small G.E.R. as well as large G E), number sets made up including solebar numbers, tare weights and even buffer beam numbering.

In addition, since the initial sheet must be quite large (A4), I am now contemplating coach and locomotive insignia also.

I am looking support/comments guidance etc - and my thanks for the above already.

Best,

Marcus

Open Wagons Source Kit #

GER Round ended open ?

GER Sand Wagon K's

GER Wool wagon Peter K

Vans

Cattle

Brake Vans

Other

Best,

Marcus

I have an interest in GER transfers, but primarily the small pre-1903 'G E R' style for use on:

- pre-diagram round-end wagon

- pre diagram 4-plank (essentially a 4-plank version of Dia.16)

- Diagram 16 5-plank

- Diagram 17 5-plank

The wooden 9'6" w/b chassis, for the 4-plank and Dia. 16, and a 5-plank body are now available as 3D Prints from Coast Line Models (Quarryscapes of this parish).

I just need transfers to complete.

So, I am happy to support or subscribe to any move to get sets of these produced.

post-25673-0-92412700-1476393193.jpg

post-25673-0-23403200-1476393212.jpg

I have an interest in GER transfers, but primarily the small pre-1903 'G E R' style for use on:

- pre-diagram round-end wagon

- pre diagram 4-plank (essentially a 4-plank version of Dia.16)

- Diagram 16 5-plank

- Diagram 17 5-plank

The wooden 9'6" w/b chassis, for the 4-plank and Dia. 16, and a 5-plank body are now available as 3D Prints from Coast Line Models (Quarryscapes of this parish).

I just need transfers to complete.

So, I am happy to support or subscribe to any move to get sets of these produced.

My omission - I forgot to mention they include large and small lettering. I will post a copy of the final product here for inspection once I get them form the artist etc.

My omission - I forgot to mention they include large and small lettering. I will post a copy of the final product here for inspection once I get them form the artist etc.

Excellent, as Edwardian mentioned I produce a Dia.17 as a printed kit would be good to be able to point prospective purchasers at transfers for it. (I'll be needing my own too for the show wagon too!)

Excellent, as Edwardian mentioned I produce a Dia.17 as a printed kit would be good to be able to point prospective purchasers at transfers for it. (I'll be needing my own too for the show wagon too!)

Ok, so do we have another source of diag.17s? Your bodies look like diag16s, which were quite different - unless I missed something. The transfers for the diag 16 will be coming out with the cattle trucks - or at least that was the plan. I alluded elsewhere to cooperation between manufacturers etc and so am happy to adjust my plans for transfers releases to match whatever your next GER wagon will be...the numbering research has been done, so those sheets I produce will include sets for actual wagons drawn from John Watling's notes and photographs.

As an aside, the Airfix machine wagon is an LNER or BR variant of the GER 14t so that may also be more imminent than others as it could work as an alternative to the D&S kit.

Proofs for the diag 17 should be out in a couple of weeks...they will be waterslides.

Best,

Marcus

Alan, forgive me, but I think you produce a 5-plank body, which (I haven't checked) is good for Diagrams 16 and 17, and wooden u/fs suitable for Dia. 16 and pre-diagrammed 4-plank.

Diagram 17 is a 9'6" steel u/f.  If you have produced that, this is good news of which I was unaware.

See post #1834 for a picture of the printed wooden u/fs and 5-plank body: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107713-castle-aching/page-74

Alan's Shapeways shop is here: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/2mmpregroup.  Usefully, items such as brakes and axlebox/springs are available separately.

Still early in the morning, so I hope I got that right.

Ok, so do we have another source of diag.17s? Your bodies look like diag16s, which were quite different - unless I missed something. The transfers for the diag 16 will be coming out with the cattle trucks - or at least that was the plan. I alluded elsewhere to cooperation between manufacturers etc and so am happy to adjust my plans for transfers releases to match whatever your next GER wagon will be...the numbering research has been done, so those sheets I produce will include sets for actual wagons drawn from John Watling's notes and photographs.

As an aside, the Airfix machine wagon is an LNER or BR variant of the GER 14t so that may also be more imminent than others as it could work as an alternative to the D&S kit.

Proofs for the diag 17 should be out in a couple of weeks...they will be waterslides.

Best,

Marcus

Thanks, Marcus.

Yes, the Airfix/Dapol Lowmac will be the basis of my GE Mac K!

Alan, forgive me, but I think you produce a 5-plank body, which (I haven't checked) is good for Diagrams 16 and 17, and wooden u/fs suitable for Dia. 16 and pre-diagrammed 4-plank.

Diagram 17 is a 9'6" steel u/f.  If you have produced that, this is good news of which I was unaware.

See post #1834 for a picture of the printed wooden u/fs and 5-plank body: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107713-castle-aching/page-74

Alan's Shapeways shop is here: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/2mmpregroup.  Usefully, items such as brakes and axlebox/springs are available separately.

Still early in the morning, so I hope I got that right.

Thanks, Marcus.

Yes, the Airfix/Dapol Lowmac will be the basis of my GE Mac K!

Oops, yes it's the 16 I produce. Showing my ignorance of all things Eastern!

Oops, yes it's the 16 I produce. Showing my ignorance of all things Eastern!

Don't apologise for doing us such a favour!

And, I should mention, your production of wooden u/fs for the 9'6" w/b GN 4-plank, of which there were over 11,000 built, and which I would imagine, even before pooling, would have been fairly frequent visitors to neighbouring GE lines, not to mention the GN/GE joint line.

Archived