GER Wagon Transfers

How do the transfers match up to the projected Mousa kits? Bill is proposing D15 van, D17 ventilated van and D1 brake van.

I had originally plannned these to fit the D&S kits. DS110 was the D15 van, DS101 was the D17 ventilated van and DS106 was the brake van, so the design work has already been done. I have not completed the depot names for the brake vans yet, however. Hardly a demanding task.

Best,

Marcus

If your supplier is able to also produce the artwork at 7mm scale, could they also do 2mm? I'd be happy to sponsor a full sheet or reasonable minimum order value?

Cheers

Justin

Justin

As with 7mm scale I would rather get the lot done in 4mm scale first - this is a plan focused on the production of rolling stock for my layout. I am offering the 4mm scale product because is it going to be there anyway.

It may be easier if I put you in touch directly once we have done this lot.

Best,

Marcus

And here it is..

post-6357-0-12203000-1477405827_thumb.jpg

Once it has actually been printed I will be making it available to those who would like one. No idea what the price will be...

Next will be Diag 16 (to go with the D&S kit or the new kits available on Shapeways) and the D&S 14t machine wagon (or Airfix Lowmac if you don't look too closely)

After that, probably the vans in Bill Bedford's range...

Best,

Marcus

So, I have checked the proof and sent it to production. This will be my own set and I will work through their performance on a model before I release them to 'the public'. Photos to follow.

I imagine I will price these at £10 per sheet. That may seem expensive, but bear in mind this is for twelve wagons, which would cost you £12 if you were going to use a competing product. This sheet will also not be a replication of one sheet four times, but provides accurate numbers for period specific wagons as ready-made numbers.

Call this a 'market test' if you like. So, anyone still interested. This is not a 'commercial' project; I have a large stock to complete, so will not be offended if the answer is 'no'.

Best,

Marcus

And here it is..

attachicon.gifGER Wagon transfers.jpg

Once it has actually been printed I will be making it available to those who would like one. No idea what the price will be...

Next will be Diag 16 (to go with the D&S kit or the new kits available on Shapeways) and the D&S 14t machine wagon (or Airfix Lowmac if you don't look too closely)

After that, probably the vans in Bill Bedford's range...

Best,

Marcus

Great work.  You can put me down for one each of the 3 sheets.  If you would be so kind as to PM, in case I fail to spot a topic post, and we can make the necessary arrangements for purchase.    

I'll get some, assuming you're willing to send them to the States. One question thought, at the top in black it says "Dia 17 1.00 Onwards". Does that mean that the numbers in that block are suitable for January 1900 onward or something else?

First off, I'm in NY so, yes, I will ship to the US... :)

Second, the dates are references to wagon building batches, each with slight variations in axlebox or door springing (the later ones being sprung using the monarch arrangement etc.) John Watling's writings in GERS Journal #83 (membership cost is worth this alone; go on, you know it makes sense)  will enlighten...but I will summarise when I issue the actual transfers.

Best,

Marcus

So, I have checked the proof and sent it to production. This will be my own set and I will work through their performance on a model before I release them to 'the public'. Photos to follow.

I imagine I will price these at £10 per sheet. That may seem expensive, but bear in mind this is for twelve wagons, which would cost you £12 if you were going to use a competing product. This sheet will also not be a replication of one sheet four times, but provides accurate numbers for period specific wagons as ready-made numbers.

Call this a 'market test' if you like. So, anyone still interested. This is not a 'commercial' project; I have a large stock to complete, so will not be offended if the answer is 'no'.

Best,

Marcus

I would be more than a bit interested,how can I get some?

• 3 weeks later...

The decals have arrived and look spectacular. I am in the midst of constructing a D&S diag 17 wagon on which to test them out. Photos will follow, but I would appreciate a PM from those who would actually like to commit to a set (or more) on the premise that my 'proving' on an actual model meets my approval. So PM me with orders, please: £12 per set, enough for 12 wagons, as in the image above, post free (from the USA!)

They may take some time to arrive as I have to order another batch, so no payment until they are in my sticky (I will wash them before I ship the decals) hands. Payment should be by PayPal so when you order, please supply a suitable email address to which I will send an invoice via PayPal.

For those wishing to build a 'true' diag 17 a nice letter to Danny Pinnock will yield the kits you need; far from being unavailable, Danny has supplied me with 20 of these wagons in the last few months and the castings are still fine. I will send him a set of decals; who knows, he may just reintroduce the kit! Regardless, there are several 'close' wagons (see 51L NER 5 plank) wagons out there. My money is on keeping Danny busy!

Diag 16, cattle truck and 14t machine wagon next - in January 2017. Promise!

Best,

Marcus

• 1 month later...

I felt an update to the saga of the GER decals would be appropriate. Currently I am addressing the fit and finish of the product so far; early optimism has been thwarted by what seems to be a thick decal film. Despite liberal quantities of decal solvent, I can't seem to get them to 'ride' the riveted strapping. So, I am going to order another test batch specifying the thinnest film...

Please bear with me...this is a 'hobby' activity so running a business seems to get in the way...

• 1 month later...

At last I have had the time to try out the new batch of decals, successfully so. The change in specification has led to a much thinner film on which the lettering is printed, but at the cost of the stability of the lettering. However, a coat of varnish over the lettering (as I believe is the practice with some brands of 'commercial' decals) and the decal lays down flat and can be 'played' with using decal solvent (Micro Sol in this case - I haven't tried anything else). That includes laying nicely over the strapping/bolt heads of the diag 17 for which it was intended, of course!). For those tempted to use the Microsol decal film product in place of varnish, please be aware that it attacks the inks and seems to dry slightly opaque. The recommended varnish is Railmatch Acrylic.

Now that is out of the way I will tot up all those who have asked for a set and place an order, which will take some 3-4 weeks to arrive. Price is GBP12 per sheet including postage for the USA. Extra sheets are GBP10. As an example; one chap has asked for four sheets so his bill will be 12 + 10X3 = 42. Once the sheets arrive I will send out PayPal invoices.

When I order the diag 17 sheets I will also be ordering sheets for diag 16, the 14t machine wagon and the large cattle truck.

Best,

Marcus

• 2 weeks later...

All

My apologies, this could take longer than I thought...

Imreceived this reply to my order for the current decals:

"Hi Marcus,

I am holidaying in Queensland until the end of the month, but I will look into your order when I return.

Kind regards

Rob"

Nevertheless, they will appear...

Best,

Marcus

• 1 month later...

All

The new sheets of GER diagram 17 transfers have arrived and are available for purchase. The first sheet is £ 12.00 including postage, with additional sheets at £ 10.00 when added to the first.

I need your email address (PM me here), to which I will send a PayPal invoice for the amount to cover the number of sheets you order.

They will be mailed out promptly.

Best,

Marcus

Marcus

I have sent a pm with my email etc, but for some reason you got blocked.weird system!

you are now I think unblocked

sorry

Robert

Robert

I have sent an invoice to the email address you gave me.

Best,

Marcus

To all users of the tranfers; a light coat of satin varnish is required before use. I have used the Railmatch acrylic successfully. If anyone need notes on construction batches and so on, please let me know.

Best,

Marcus

• 3 weeks later...

An update to the plans for GER wagon transfers:

It seems my efforts have been in tandem with some of the 'goings on' over at Fox Transfers who have announced their plans to produce GER locomotive transfers 'soon' (and with RTR J15s, B12s, forthcoming N7s and J70s with more to come, I am sure, who can blame them?).

In addressing some issues with my products I got into conversation with messrs Fox and learned of this plan. To get to the point: I have suspended development of my own transfers and am now 'helping out' messrs Fox in bringing a complete set of GER wagon transfers to fruition as a joint venture (OK, I am paying for it...) to be added to their range in due course. Yes, we may have to wait a bit (but this thread lasted seven years...) but it will happen and be done by people who know their stuff and have a huge reputation in the market. I am very pleased to be doing it this way.

Hopefully nobody will be disappointed.

Best,

Marcus

Do you know if the Fox transfers will be in 7mm and will they producing coach transfers?

Marc

At this point in the cycle; no idea.

My best response is twofold:

1) if I am paying for them, then yes, they will be doing coach transfers (I will be, they will be. Just don't hold your breath) and

2) I work in 4mm...the 2mm/3mm/7mm crowd will, with my apologies, be on their own, but the artwork will have been done etc so the best bet is to get the respective societies together and create a demand to which Fox can respond.

Best,

Marcus

Archived