GWR Buffet Van third

Hi

I note the Buffet Van Third is listed in Becket's carriage formations book. Could someone tell me what diagram the coach is? I've tried googling but other than throwing up an informative earlier discussion on rmweb, I'm drawing a blank. Grateful for help!

Many thanks

David

H17 - 2355 (toplight D47 van third)

H18 - 2365 (toplight D46 van third)

According to Harris, "Of lots 1173/4, two were built as kitchen brake thirds with only two seating compartments,but retaining ordinary numbers although on restaurant car diagrams. They were intended for the service of refreshments on short distance expresses. No 2365 was converted back to a standard brake third in 1937, no 2355 in 1936."

There were others.

Two dreadnoughts were converted, noticeable by an additional set of recessed doors. Worsley Works does a body kit for this, even though it is not in his list.

Also several D31 Clerestories were converted to buffet van thirds. 

I have a complete list I will add when I get home.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

Here is the list I have

post-9992-0-37411400-1524852117.jpg

post-9992-0-17181100-1524852610.jpg

Here is a H17 conversion, note gas tanks in underframe and vents/extra water tank in roof

post-9992-0-50116900-1524852056_thumb.jpg

Here is one of the D31 conversion again note extra features.

post-9992-0-74716500-1524852079_thumb.jpg

Here is my model from The Worsley Works body kit with the extra doors, roof tanks and gas tanks.

post-9992-0-29077500-1524852399_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 8

Becket's carriage formations of the GWR (1934/35 or so) lists 'Buffet Van Third' as part of the formation for the:

1) 0715 Wolverhampton to Bristol

2) 1420 Bristol to Wolverhampton

It may be on other services too but I've been focusing of services through Birmingham. I'll look up the detail later and send it you

David

My interest is their use on the Bristol to Weymouth services. Usually a four coach train with a Buffet brake third at the Weymouth end and in Cardiff to Portsmouth trains.

Great Western Scene (Maurice Earley)has shot of Dreadnought buffet brake at the head of a Paddington Plymouth Sunday train.THEORY ONLY here is part/all of the train worked on to Penzance and tea only was provided as the main diner section remained at Plymouth.

There is another shot of a Dreadnought buffet in Great Western Pictorial No 2 page 41 (4th coach) on the formation of a Pembroke Dock to Paddington service, identifiable by the extra doors. To find other conversions in pictures, look for the extra drinking water tank on the roof and extra vent/flues for the hot water boiler.

Worsley Works have just released a body etch for a D31. I have bought two, one of which will be made into 3418 pictured above.

Mike Wiltshire

• 2 years later...

I think you need to determine exactly what loading gauge dimensions applied for the various lines you are referring to, and compare those dimensions to specific cross-section sizes of coaches. The 'cross-country' profile of 1930 onward refers primarily to cross-country bits of the GWR, particularly lines with tight side overbridge clearances. It doesn't mean 'go anywhere' on other companies.

4 hours ago, AVS1998 said:

So I suspect possibly an H. 7, H. 8 or an H. 16 for the composite diner pre-1925

Definitely not an H8, too long and too fat. I doubt whether the GWR could spare the valuable H16s for forays onto Brighton/SECR lines. H7 is feasible - an 8'6" wide clerestory.

• Informative/Useful 1