A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

IMPORTANT all Camio-teers please read now.

• RMweb Gold

IMORTANT UPDATE

I haven't heard from a number of you who look as if you are still in, if you have not already done so then please respond as requested ASAP in order to remain in the competition!

Simon Castens

Creating Cameos Competition

Judges 

Iain Rice, Chris Nevard, Gordon Gravett

26th April 2018

Dear Cameoteers

Thank you very much for taking part in the Creating Cameos competition, we hope you are enjoying planning and building your models. 

We had a very healthy response covering a wide range of scales and ideas, and we have been impressed with the imagination and ingenuity of all entries. Thank you very much to everyone who has joined in, whether you are still “in” or not. We are sure that the idea of cameo layouts will go beyond the end of the competition and that further projects and models will result in the future, so thank you all again for your participation.

The judges are getting together to consider entries and start shortlisting towards the end of May 2018. Following this process there will be further consideration of shortlisted entries in advance of a final selection. This will lead to the final display of entries at the “Railex” show at Stoke Mandeville stadium in May of 2019.

We already know of some entries that have withdrawn and of course quite a few of you are documenting your building and experiences online through the RMweb and Western Thunder forums.

In order to move on to the next stage in the competition please could you now contact us with a statement of how you are getting on with your entry, specifically:

1.) Are you still “in” and the final name of your entry and its scale.

2.) Summary statement of what your entry is; prototype, inspiration, the thinking behind it, any noteworthy features.

2.) Projected completion date of your entry.

3.) Current state of completion, expressed as a “percentage of completion” together with any notes or comments you wish to make.

4.) Evidence of progress so far, include pictures, sketches and a plan of the finished cameo, to include fiddle sidings, yards and any other protuberances. If you are documenting your build online, then feel free to provide the URL or location of the pictures of your progress rather than sending them directly in response to this letter.

5.) Anything else you’d like to say about your entry or the competition.

6.) Confirmation of your preferred/contact email address.

Please could everyone respond to this letter by the end of Sunday 20th May. Please note that response to this letter will be a condition of continued participation in the “formal” aspect of the competition.

Please respond by email to cameocomp@wildswanbooks.co.uk or by post to Cameo Competition, 3A Upper Lambridge Street, Bath, BA1 6RY.

Thank you very much for your participation and we look forward to hearing from you!

Simon Castens

For and on behalf of Iain Rice, Gordon Gravett and Chris Nevard

Edited by Not Jeremy

• 8 months later...

Taken from the Railex 2019 exhibition website. Nothing like a deadline to focus the mind.

Creating Cameo Layouts - The Challenge, All Gauges, Model Railway Journal Cameo Competition Finalists – the six best layouts entered in the MRJ Cameo Layout competition will appear in public together for the first time. The standard of modelling is expected to be among the very best.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Announcements will be made very shortly, here, on WT and then in MRJ.

Apologies for "radio silence", stuff is going on and thank you to all entrants for participating in the first place and for your patience now.

Overall the response has been terrific and the standards incredibly high. People also seem to be enjoying themslelves, so thank you again to all participants, including those who have "fallen" along the way.

I haven't started my own Cameo yet - waiting for the rest of life to settle down a bit...

Simon

• Like 3

Some of us are still on part one!

The loft room, where Roswell Mill lives, has been rather warm for much of the Summer and so yet another of Mr Craven's Engines has been completed as a distraction. However, the process of getting a loco and rolling stock to operate on a completely novel track gauge, and to couple and uncouple in the correct places as well, continues in fits and starts. Maybe it will accelerate as the weather gets worse!

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was rather wondering the same thing. As there are no shows for the foreseeable future can the cameos be showcased in some other way? my effort is still plodding along, about 75% complete, but with no deadline in sight the incentive to get on with it wanes in favour of other projects.

Steve

• Friendly/supportive 1

I had to pull my layout from the original competition due to family commitments. I have since reused the baseboards for a different project. The new project was supposed to be in the Gauge O Guild's small layout competition. 

I would be definitely up for a second cameo layout competition I have a few ideas.

Marc

• Friendly/supportive 1