Tests with my new 3D printer

Well thats decided, however going to wait as need to concentrate on getting Strathmuir ready for Wigan in October. May look at ordering in September, gives me a few months then to play during Winter before starting back on Dallam.

Cheers

Simon

That video is an eye-opener... I've been keeping an eye on 3D printers but up until I saw that I'd been under the impression that reasonably priced printers weren't quite there yet regarding print quality and detail..

Hmmm, about $700 AUD delivered... hurry up June 30 and  tax rebate time!

I bought an Anycubic Photon via Amazon.co.uk. It looks a really well designed piece of kit. Unboxing and setting up is easy and away it went with the first print, as provided by the comapny on their usb stick. Unfortunately it didn’t complete as half the lcd screen (which masks the UV light source) went on the blink. The print quality was superb.

Amazon have a fantastic return policy, collected from the door and ten minutes later notification of my refund.

So impressed, thinking maybe an odd dud was to be expected, I ordered another. Similar story, tried three prints and each had a defect caused by problems with the LCD screen. Gutted, I also returned the second machine.

I note that currently (May 2018) Amazon no longer stock this printer and there does not seem to be an obvious UK source.

My question to those who have one... have they proved reliable in use?

I have three FDM printers, but the Anycubic Photon can produce prints of tiny objects which FDM can’t do. I would risk trying another if Amazon stock them again, but a faulty one from EU or China might be difficult to return. An alternative may be the Wanhao Duplicator 7plus. Anyone experience of these?

Bob

I have had zero problems with the screen on mine. Its worked flawlessly from day one. Are you sure it was the screen and not something else. You can end up with dud prints from many different issues. Part orientation being one.

I ordered mine direct from Anycubic via their ali express site. The transaction was swift and delivery prompt. Much cheaper than amazon too as Ali Express tend to have deals on constantly.

There is a known problem with these machines with the power bricks. Replace with a slightly more powerful one.

There is a very active Facebook Group for the machine with lots of technical help.

Wish I could afford one, and had the space to put it.

Saving up for one of these Anycube thingummies. The print quality is simply the best I have seen anywhere.

I have read too online in other areas the screens seem to be a bit iffy which is my only off put. Will think on it. Need somewhere I can buy it with a good warranty.

• 4 weeks later...

Well the Ebay supplier said they were in Sydney but I was a little dubious when the paypal receipt listed the seller as a series of Chinese characters, but it only took a day to get to me so I guess they were telling the truth.

Now off to learn Fusion 360....

Well the Ebay supplier said they were in Sydney but I was a little dubious when the paypal receipt listed the seller as a series of Chinese characters, but it only took a day to get to me so I guess they were telling the truth.

Was the seller called Anycubic-offical? I recently purchased one with the previous 5% off and it was Australian based distribution. Purchased on the 21/6 arrived 28/6.

Just a warning, the USB stick provided is of very poor quality. Suggest dumping the contents on your PC before anything else. Also join the facebook group "Anycubic Photon Owners DLP Owners" 

Probably been drop shipped.

--

I may be buying one of these. The more I look the stronger the lure becomes!

Any idea how long it would take to print a 4mm scale loco body? (& 2mm)

I know it wouldn't be quick and it would have to fit in the build plate so nothing massive.

Also any idea how easy/hard it is to remove the supports?

It takes about 3 to 4 minutes per mm of object depth.

If you were printing a 4mm scale loco body at about 35mm high you would be looking at about 2.5 hrs ish. You tend not to print straight and level though as you have to consider the peel area.

Supports are easy enough to snip off but it does depend on what resin you are using. Some are very strong but brittle once cut. These can be a bit tricky sometimes without damaging the piece. Also don't do things with much detail on the supported side as that surface tends to look pretty awful requiring a lot of post filing and sanding etc to clean it up.

Was the seller called Anycubic-offical? I recently purchased one with the previous 5% off and it was Australian based distribution. Purchased on the 21/6 arrived 28/6.

Just a warning, the USB stick provided is of very poor quality. Suggest dumping the contents on your PC before anything else. Also join the facebook group "Anycubic Photon Owners DLP Owners" 

Thats the one!

Thanks for the  USB tip, my Chinese CNC router arrived with a DVD that contained the software  that was completely scratched and unusable so I guess thats a standard feature.

I finally joined the Facebook group yesterday, took 3 attempts before they noticed me  but I'm there finally. There is  some amazing work in the photo gallery, amongst all the Deadpool figurines and eiffel towers. This one blew me away, I initially thought it was the render but its the actual model in primer.... (about 8cm high apparently)

post-22541-0-21226600-1530832605_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've been using a Wanhao duplicator 7 for a good few months now

Very impressed with the quality. Purchased in the UK through technology outlet. You can see some of the output on my rmweb blog.

David

• Like 1

As you know I keep banging on about it, could you please explain the difference between these two part numbers...

KBP004

VS

PHOTON 001

The first one says it has the upgraded LCD and costs about £150 more than the other 'yellow' model.

Is the cheaper one any good or is it likely to bugga up which 'may' have initiated the upgrade in the first place?

Obviously I'd like to pay less yet I also want as little hassle as possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Knuckles

As you know I keep banging on about it, could you please explain the difference between these two part numbers...

KBP004

VS

PHOTON 001

The first one says it has the upgraded LCD and costs about £150 more than the other 'yellow' model.

Is the cheaper one any good or is it likely to bugga up which 'may' have initiated the upgrade in the first place?

Obviously I'd like to pay less yet I also want as little hassle as possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Probably your best bet would be to join the photon facebook group, ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/AnycubicPhoton   and post the question there.

There are a couple of non-Facebook forums if you are anti-facebook but unfortunately they don't seem to be very active -  the Facebook group is where it all is happenning. 

• 4 weeks later...

My model number is ANYCUBIC PHOTON-5.5

I've been using an Anycubic Photon for making 7mm scale railway bits for a few weeks now.

I posted some pictures of the items I've made over on the Sketchup Alternatives thread.

As a taster:

post-2189-0-20431800-1533717837_thumb.pngpost-2189-0-07808000-1533717685_thumb.jpg

I do like the clean prints that the Photon produces. When you get the model and supports right, the output is very impressive with no layer lines.

On the downside, the resin smells and clean-up in IPA then UV-curing is a bit of a pain but worth it for quality of the finished items.

• Like 6