Big jim’s Garage conversion and layout thread

big jim

• RMweb Gold

No layout progress but got a few bits and bobs for when I get things running 

picked up this A113 personal carrier off eBay to try in my oxford warwell

9F793644-1B3D-422D-BBA7-D30FD0D1AEF5.jpeg.b8dc1261a6c855e2c7ba376ba92b555c.jpeg

where it fits perfectly without fouling the edge of the wagon or going out of gauge 

5F41245C-CA2A-4640-9F50-240EF8592A89.jpeg.a7a06cb3161dafb07639e7d89273ad92.jpeg

90AC62B9-B747-49AB-ACF2-F1ED86E2D12F.jpeg.b712eae8c265b4809d1cb04b2c7f4c70.jpeg

a few more warwells with them on, some VGAs and some side opening containers and I’ve got myself a nice little MOD train!

2E535CDF-96F0-4CA8-A562-AA6F4B89F2D5.jpeg.d6464a9a92b241f1dfd560f03f020e0d.jpeg

also picked up these fleichmann Ho 4 wheel coaches 2nd hand from richard at trident to run on the heritage line 

1F619AF9-5CFD-425E-B932-3BABF72505B9.jpeg.a675044a079ae865423bfb6dfaf9aef6.jpeg

rhey looks quite nice behind the model rail J70

26467945-AB40-4ACA-AAB6-49E8E348B35F.jpeg.755247df37f9837a7ef25a911a43592d.jpeg

decals arrived for the 009 class 70 so I may get them on later if I get a chance 

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

That’s the plan, get some more warflats and lots of the same carriers and a few land rovers etc 

the personnel carrier was only £10 off eBay and they are on there quite often, I think they are from a tank version of the hachette magazine railway part works 

when scale model scenery reopens after their move of premises I’ll get some mod containers ordered for the other flat wagons

of course getting trains running first would help!

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Jim.

The mini class 70 looks really good, top job.

The M113 fits well on the warwell wagon, but is an American vehicle not used by British army, although it looks a bit like the FV432.  They do the same job, battlefield taxi!  

British did use the M548 armoured equipment carrier in some numbers for a while, which is based on the M113 chassis, and is available from the same manufacturer.  Might need a repaint, but you are up to that.

Keep up the good work

• RMweb Gold

I’m not after absolute fidelity with the train with correct colours etc, (or even country) I was just after something ‘modern’ and little which would on the wagon, I’ll have a look at the M548 though

ive really struggled to find any current RTR tanks hence why I went for the Personel carrier, certainly looks more realistic than a train of Sherman tanks behind a 66! 

You're right it is hard to find modern British AFV's to put on warwell's. S and S models have about the best range.

They do an FV432, a Sultan (armoured command vehicle) , and a Samaritan (armoured ambulance) they need minimal assembly and painting.

On 25/06/2020 at 15:33, big jim said:

ive really struggled to find any current RTR tanks hence why I went for the Personel carrier, certainly looks more realistic than a train of Sherman tanks behind a 66! 

Modern tanks don't fit in the loading gauge anyway. They are too wide.

... Unless you are modelling the channel tunnel.

Edited by Bloodnok
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bloodnok said:

Modern tanks don't fit in the loading gauge anyway. They are too wide.

... Unless you are modelling the channel tunnel.

I think the last British main battle tank that fitted on rail vehicles in the UK was the Comet family of 1944.

A major limiting factor on the design of British tanks during WW2 was the rail systems ability to transport them around. 8 ft 6 inch width, which limits turret size and therefore gun size.  Warwell's were built specifically to transport the new American built M4 Sherman, as they were too tall to go on the available flat wagons.

There are plenty of  more recent tracked armoured fighting vehicles that do fit though e.g. Warrior, FV432, Scimitar, Scorpion, Sultan, Samson, Samaritan, Spartan. etc.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

First attempt at a scale scenes print your own kit last night, small station building

mounted the bits on relevant thickness cards and it’s made quite a weighty solid little structure, need to print off some new ridge tiles as I scored the original ones wrong and I’ve not bothered with gutters and down pipes as I’ll put some plastic ones I have on instead

BF5B79B7_FEB8_4B0C_B402_D4643FCED987_IMG

2903BF81_AAB7_4F07_B00C_2F97719DB8FA_IMG

for what it’s worth I’ve also got some interior bits to add such as chairs, vending machine etc 

C3F95566_9320_4390_8153_7500BD1FFC63_IMG

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just realised I haven’t done anything with the layout since june!

been playing about with the 009 bit, tried the L+B loco on peco set track curves which it didn’t want to go round so I’ve had to make the curves bigger to n gauge set track standard which it can handle, which means I’ve had to re think couple of areas, the corner bit of the layout has been bugging me trying to do something interesting with it, the latest plan is a spiral, I’ve taken the board out and replaced it with foam risers which raise the track from board level to about 13cm high, when I put the track down I’ll be adding DCC concepts power plates to aid the loco with the climb 

that’s about all I’ve done, a week away in work now so that’s it for a few more weeks with the layout I recon 

B8006EE9_E7A7_43B1_9566_BD339F22A178_IMG

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

My dad was around at the weekend and gave me my orders to get a move on with the railway, put the buildings away in a big box and concentrate on getting some track properly laid instead of mocking thing up so I listened to his advice and packed up the clutter and cracked on with track laying 

001_IMG_5153.JPG

first up was laying the curve between the inclines 

001_IMG_5154.JPG

Then it was the crossovers from the mainline to the branch line either side of the  mains, I’ve put a double slip on the left and a single slip on the right, I’ve yet to decide how far the line to the right will go

001_IMG_5155.JPG

Added a fillet of wood at the end of the station 

001_IMG_5156.JPG

Onto which the OO9 line will curve onto (I have revised this bit as can be seen in later pictures)

001_IMG_5158.JPG

I then joined the tracks on the other incline too, so now from the ironbridge up the incline and back down below the castle spiral is connected 

001_IMG_5157.JPG

as for the station I have a number of Hornby skaledale platforms, both curved and straight which I think I’m going to use for the station, the curved platform face is the heritage line which I’m going to put a run round loop in place next to the platform so I can have 2 trains pass each other and stop opposite ends of the platform (as per the loop at Dovey Jn!) 

the mainline can Have crossovers for trains to pass if required and a set of points onto the preserved line 

001_IMG_5159.JPG

And back along the rear wall and the branch line, I was going to put a small yard on the high level bit but I need to be able to get the screen to drop down as far as I can 

001_IMG_5160.JPG

001_IMG_5161.JPG

the line will sit behind the screen 

001_IMG_5162.JPG

Removed the previously added piece of wood ready to cut back a bit to follow the contour of the 009 track 

001_IMG_5163.JPG

001_IMG_5164.JPG

that was it for last night, I then went back and had a look again this morning 

first up, trimmed the wood above the end of the station, afterwards I placed a tunnel mouth there and realised I should have really trimmed it square to give me land above the tunnel mouth, not a huge issue as I can just back fill with some thin ply over the void 

001_IMG_5165.JPG

next the branch line Board which rises slightly to allow a couple of bridges to clear the mainline below 

001_IMG_5166.JPG

I have 4 of these laser cut bridges, 2 of which I will use to cross the mainline at an angle so starting at different places, the nearest one will be for the branchline which will rise up to the small station on the hill top overlooking the gorge the rear bridge will go toward the MOD/Nuclear sidings, running into a neck that will in turn go into a small fan of sidings where I can store my accurascale PFA and KUA wagons as well as FNA wagons 

001_IMG_5167.JPG

The climb up to the station, I’m going to fit DCC concepts power bases to this bit and magnets to the 121 and 153 unit that I have to work this line to improve traction up the hill as it’s quite steep and curvy, similarly I’ve got a set for the spiral and my 009 locos 

001_IMG_5168.JPG

However before I secure the branchline down I need to decide on how the heritage and 009 line will cross the valley, the whole ‘outcrop’ is currently loose and moveable and it’s final location will depend on how I build the viaduct!

i can either build it with a curved piece at the end or straight, with the curved piece I would have to have the dual gauge track entering a tunnel together......

001_IMG_5169.JPG

001_IMG_5170.JPG

.....then have it split within the mountain and exiting via 2 separate tunnel mouths 

001_IMG_5172.JPG

to match the mainline

001_IMG_5171.JPG

or have the viaduct straight, the outcrop moved back a bit (and trimmed slightly) and the track split before a tunnel

001_IMG_5173.JPG

The standard gauge running into the tunnel and the narrow gauge curving around the outside of the outcrop in a sweeping S bend 

001_IMG_5174.JPG

in all a productive day, 3/4 of the way round with track now, I would have had something running but I can’t find the transformer for the lenz DCC controller, the next bit will Fixing down be the crossovers I have in place at the castle end of the layout, that’s the most complicated bit of track regards making sure I put insulated fishplates in the right place etc then once that’s done it’s finish securing the track on hinged section And the final bit of plain line over the gorge (which will involve making up a Metcalfe Viaduct kit first!) 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Had a long week in work so needed a chill out for an hour or so with the layout before my fortnight of jury duty 

got the board secured for the branch line and also glued down the polystyrene risers up to the top station, put some cork down and secured the plain rail from the mainline to where the points for the MOD yard will be 

001_IMG_5320.JPG

001_IMG_5321.JPG

001_IMG_5322.JPG

only a little bit but enough for tonight 

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Secured the track leading up to the bridges this evening 

001_IMG_5323.JPG

and over the bridge span, just one pin securing the track so I can slide the bridges out for now, I need to give them a coat of paint before properly securing them in place 

001_IMG_5324.JPG

MOD yard, each long siding is going to be accessed From a curved point Behind the branch line incline 

001_IMG_5325.JPG

The short siding coming from a short straight point, there will be a neck going back just long enough for 2 or 3 bogie wagons and loco, any longer trains can be split and shunted by the resident 03 

001_IMG_5326.JPG

the line along the wall is going to be a nuclear wagon offload facility, ok not strictly MOD but the sidings will give me a good place to park my FNAs, PFAs, as well as warwells, mod internal wagons Etc 

I’ve got a small Bachmann shed that I’m thinking of cutting at an angle and positioning against the wall to make a short shed for the 03 to live in as it’s currently too big, I could even use both ends after the cut to make a double road shed 

001_IMG_5328.JPG

Long sidings

001_IMG_5329.JPG

Whilst working at the back of the layout I took the extension pieces of base board off to make it easier to reach over, having removed them I realise that really I don’t need them and I can get what I want on the existing boards 

001_IMG_5330.JPG

I’ll just have to add a small curved fillet of ply in Both corners for the line to curve onto slightly 

001_IMG_5331.JPG

The 009 line that was going to twist on a falling gradient on the extension board can now go straight down in front of the branch line, in fact the 009 trackbed is where the projector screen sits when open

001_IMG_5332.JPG

The heritage line can go into a tunnel,  above which can be a board with most likely the mill buildings on, they shouldn’t obstruct the Projector too much, if they do I’ll think of something more low lying, i will most likely put a set of points off the 009 line to this area and put a small loco shed within the mill area 

001_IMG_5333.JPG

Edited by big jim
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

only a little job but one That is quite important, set up the diamond crossing matrix on the lower level where both pair of lines are on the same level, adding this means trains can stay on the lower level of tracks 

hopefully I’ve got the right rails insulated so when I get power it won’t short out, I will be powering the rails from both sides of the crossover 

001_IMG_5342.JPG

And once that’s working I can then look at getting the doorway section track glued down and Lined up

001_IMG_5343.JPG

Edited by big jim
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I’m going to try and have another day in there tomorrow, maybe get the hinges section done, possibly start wiring up the track feed around the crossings etc 

im really annoyed as I got a tillig standard gauge/narrow gauge crossing track about 6 months ago that I can’t find anywhere, without it I can’t get the narrow gauge line the right side of the standard gauge before it combines over the viaduct, I’m loathed to buy another as I will no doubt find the original once I get a replacement 

agreed, I really should finish the mini class 70 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

So much for going back in the garage and cracking on, I can’t find the power supply for the lenz 100 anywhere!

i have a maplin regulated DC supply (13v) that I tried instead but as soon as I put a loco on a short length of track on the incline it shorts out, put a Bachmann analog controller On the same piece of track and trains will run so it’s not a track short, any thoughts?

I might go and get the class 70 in the house in a min and get that done 

• RMweb Gold

Joined up the crossings to the mainline track

001_IMG_5371.JPG

Might not look like much but the lights in the 66 mean I have power to the track, just one line at the minute but ready to solder other wires to the other lines to get the whole lot live 

001_IMG_5373.JPG

And a quick question, I’ve put insulated fishplates on both rails at the V’s of the double slip as shown by the red arrows, do I need 2 in each V or indeed any as it looks to me the toe of the V is insulated, as it stands now is the V totally isolated as the class 66 I’m using to test comes to a stop if driven slowly onto the slip, it will glide over without losing power as I think it just bridges the dead bit  (it’s a peco code 75 double slip) 

001_FullSizeRender(9).jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not done anything this week but I’ve had some 2nd hand skaledale platforms arrive, both single and double sided, just enough to do all I need

001(7).JPG

the heritage line will have a run round loop on the straight section so a train can sit in the platform while another passes it and then stops on the curved bit

the mainline will have crossovers each end so trains can pass a stationary one in the platform as well as being able to cross on to and off the heritage line, hopefully I may get some of it secured next week 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Couple from last night, had to order a new dual gauge crossover for the narrow gauge line to cross the heritage line after I lost the envelope with the one I got in June in!

rhe other set of points can go to a small yard and loco shed 

001(70).JPG

i then cut a piece of card as a template for the base to the castle for when I cut the wood but Faye had other ideas 

001(69).JPG

so I went back indoors and started to make up the Metcalfe castle bits, starting with the main building, took me about 3 hours to do, seriously impressed by it, particularly the windows 

001(76).JPG

001(75).JPG

001(74).JPG

and then went on to the gatehouse which is about 90% finished in this picture 

001(73).JPG

001(72).JPG

Loving the layers on the door arches, there is even a portcullis to fit nearer the end 

001(71).JPG

got the battlements to finish as well as a small turret and outer flank walls, then it’s on to the extra walls and small towers 

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, big jim said:

Couple from last night, had to order a new dual gauge crossover for the narrow gauge line to cross the heritage line after I lost the envelope with the one I got in June in!

rhe other set of points can go to a small yard and loco shed 

001(70).JPG

i then cut a piece of card as a template for the base to the castle for when I cut the wood but Faye had other ideas 

001(69).JPG

so I went back indoors and started to make up the Metcalfe castle bits, starting with the main building, took me about 3 hours to do, seriously impressed by it, particularly the windows 

001(76).JPG

001(75).JPG

001(74).JPG

and then went on to the gatehouse which is about 90% finished in this picture 

001(73).JPG

001(72).JPG

Loving the layers on the door arches, there is even a portcullis to fit nearer the end 

001(71).JPG

got the battlements to finish as well as a small turret and outer flank walls, then it’s on to the extra walls and small towers 

that is a seriously impressive Metcalfe kit and really nicely put together

Edited by GWRPhil
spelling
  • Like 1

On 16/06/2020 at 19:35, big jim said:

And here we go....

96EC42F5-9FD4-423C-B4D8-E451DBB9D31E.jpeg.aa5124ae9756c0c9baa48eff852611b5.jpeg

07D60238-59B7-40F6-ADFC-DE1BEF005F53.jpeg.4fa36e2b447e32095ca9a8240d0f5ec7.jpeg

54D70CB4-8CEA-45C4-8BC4-187DB4A77DCC.jpeg.94a248632d116273919346713729a08e.jpeg

and with the fine detail picked out and modelu 3d printed me in the cab

76E93CE9-1018-42C8-BB85-205633D39F74.jpeg.2cc7aa0ff852853788c9030ef5643169.jpeg

and on the dual gauge track 

5FE9A799-C63A-4AF5-954E-35C5991B25B6.jpeg.af8bb6f888516a310b7e3d0e13714e26.jpeg

decals of some sort to add, probably get some N gauge ones and adapt them 

Reminds me from late 80s early 90s slot of cut and shut 47s 31s 37s etc mounted on a single boogie doing the rounds at exhibitions as a 'novelty item' like a mini me! usually driven at mack2 round the layout...Lima locos cheap as chips at one point ...