farish diesel locos that need upgrading

bluedepot

class 44 / 45 / 46 needs dcc ready chassis + speaker space + lights but the model itself is pretty good still although they could alter it slightly if not extortionate cost.

classes 03, 04, 08, 14 need lights and a dcc ready chassis. it's pretty expensive to get them converted to dcc and not that many people are confident to convert themselves.

re releases of other newer locos (i.e. classes 25, 31, 37, 47...) if they are changing to next 18 decoders anyway and so changing the circuitry they should make the rear lights switchable so they can be turned off when hauling a train. Dapol should do this as well (although I know some do have switches under the loco for this).

also how about dcc operated (or just battery operated with switch on vehicle) tail lamps on a few vehicles such as mk1 bg, brake second, brake vans, a few useful airbraked wagons? revolution are offering this i notice with their cargowaggon twins.

also what about stay alive capacitors as standard in small locos? I don't have any experience of using stay alives so not sure about them, but if capacitors are fairly cheap and these can help prevent stalling it would help improve the hobby I think? I have wired electro frogs so don't personally care now but I do appreciate for beginners it is maddening when locos stall!! n gauge society are adding stay alive to their hunslet shunter I notice.

anyway some ideas for farish here... all for free

Tim

• Like 2

How much to tool each of these?

Are we talking about a million or two to get all of these done?

It might take them a year or two in a slow growing market...

Les

--- and don't new models give a better return than upgrades?

How much to tool each of these?

Are we talking about a million or two to get all of these done?

It might take them a year or two in a slow growing market...

Les

--- and don't new models give a better return than upgrades?

Yes, and many of those suggested for 'upgrading' (mostly just a DCC/chassis upgrade it appears) are already produced to modern fine and high quality standards. I'd have thought that all new locos would prove to be better sellers: there are plenty of steamers and electric locos to consider and then there is a whole gambit of multiple units (both diesel and electric) still not available in N gauge.

G

• RMweb Gold

Given Bachmann’s current trend, I expect we’ll see more of the ‘older’ diesel range revisited and upgraded to include factory fitted, or space for sound. As Grahame says, most of the tooling is still relatively new and perfectly acceptable, although some things like the bogies on the 37 are areas that could do with revisiting.

Tom.

• RMweb Premium

The quite frankly embarrassing Class 25/3 whose Poole era tooling is still trotted out for megabucks alongside the far superior new tooling Class 25/1 has got to be next surely?

I think Bachmann have been quite smart with their announced Farish 'upgrades'. As well as providing upgraded chassis innards (next18 socket and speakers) they have also selected models where they can produce a subtly different version of the original with regards to the body (although that mean new tooling).

For example the N class with smoke deflectors, the class 47 with cut away buffer beam, the Blue Pullman with multiple unit jumpers added and the Desiro as a third rail class 450 variant. This tends to increase the range of specific loco/unit types available with all new versions not previously available.

Therefore, if they do upgrade chassis (for those suggested) I'd expect it to be accompanied with body changes to provide an alternative version/sub class which will extend the range and increase sales opportunities rather than simply just tweak the chassis but continue with a existing body variant.

G

• Like 1

The quite frankly embarrassing Class 25/3 whose Poole era tooling is still trotted out for megabucks alongside the far superior new tooling Class 25/1 has got to be next surely?

Personally I think the 25/1 needs a makeover, certainly in the underframe area which is a terrible representation of the real thing.

Edited by andy stroud

• RMweb Premium

Nowt much wrong with the Farish 25/1 I thought, the OO scale equivalent of course does need work which it is now getting.

Just shoving the existing GF 25/1 chassis under a new 25/3 body would do for a start...

• RMweb Premium

Nowt much wrong with the Farish 25/1 I thought, the OO scale equivalent of course does need work which it is now getting.

Just shoving the existing GF 25/1 chassis under a new 25/3 body would do for a start...

You would need a new chassis as there were only five boiler fitted class 25/3s.....having just converted a 25/2 into 25083 one of the five.

You need to remove a large chunk of metal to make any of the rest........I’d still want one or two!

You don't know your class 25 underframes very well. Not only are you suggesting the wrong underframe, but the detail on it is terrible. A class  25 underframe has gaps and areas of open space between the various tanks and boxes. On the Farish 25/1, it is represented by a single block.

Edited by andy stroud

• 3 weeks later...

You would need a new chassis as there were only five boiler fitted class 25/3s.....having just converted a 25/2 into 25083 one of the five.

You need to remove a large chunk of metal to make any of the rest........I’d still want one or two!

Have you any photos of your conversion? I'd like to see it. 

the class 87 AC electric disappeared from the website (I know its not a diesel but ii fits into the non-kettle overall D&E category).   be good if they decide to do a retool of that model given the new wave of 00 electrics coming along now.

Farish withdrew planned releases in N of 87005 in Executive livery (personally I think this would have been a great seller as that livery really suts the 87 well) and I think they also planned 87002 in BR blue too.   they just vanished from the website a few years back.