Photos of mixed trains / passenger trains with tail traffic, West Highland Mallaig Extension, blue diesel era

Sandpiper

Whilst browsing in the W H Smith 'Reading Room' today i can across this magazine https://www.classicmagazines.co.uk/product/5542/bookazine-rail-express-train-formations-handbook which includes some formations from Scottish lines which include tail traffic, vans and tank wagons ( don't ask me the TOPS codes, they may as well be in crylic alphabet for all they mean to me!  :unsure:).

Jim

• 1 month later...
On 13/06/2019 at 18:58, Strathyre said:

I'm afraid you're confusing train consist with train classification in relation to the fitment, or otherwise of continuous braking. The class of train varies from class 4 to class 9 in respect of the degree of braking available to the train crew, from Fully Fitted (class 1, 2 & 3), 90% fitted (class 4) through to unfitted (class 9). Class Numbers lower than that are fully fitted, as shown below.

Train classes

1        Express passenger, newspaper, or breakdown train; express diesel car; snow plough on duty; light engine proceeding to assist disabled train.

2        Ordinary passenger, branch passenger or "mixed" train; rail motor (loaded or empty); ordinary passenger or parcels diesel car; breakdown train not on duty.

3        Parcels, fish, fruit, livestock, milk or other perishable train composed entirely of vehicles conforming to coaching stock requirements; empty coaching stock (not specially authorised to carry Class A [sic] code).

4        Express freight, livestock, perishable or ballast train pipe-fitted throughout with the automatic vacuum brake operative on 90 per cent of the vehicles.

5        Express freight, livestock, perishable or ballast train with not less than 50 per cent vacuum braked vehicles piped to the engine.

6        Express freight, livestock, perishable or ballast train with 20 per cent vacuum braked vehicles piped to the engine.

7        Express freight, livestock, or ballast train not fitted with continuous brake.

8        Through freight or ballast trains not running under C, D, E or F [sic] conditions.

9        Mineral or empty wagon train.

These classifications were superseded in 1969 - see http://www.2d53.co.uk/Headcode/Headcode41.htm but that doesn't negate your point about mixed trains, which continued to be included under class 2.

Bill

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...