Corflute

Has anybody used Corflute to support a back-scene? It's a twin-wall polypropylene sheet with internal ribs that look as though they will provide rigidity in one plane and flexibility in another. Commonly used for signage and packing, it's much lighter than hardboard and waterproof.

Adrian

No but I have used it as a base to raise up some of the land areas, with the ribs vertical it is quite rigid as you say.

The only problem I struck was using hot melt glue to make the joints with several coming apart after a while.

You may want to watch that the ribs dont show through though.

I'm a printer by day so work with this inside and out.

Although I can only expand on what katwigan has said, the main issue you may experience is the ribs showing slightly as the faces can follow them and create a corrugated effect, this becomes less of an issue the thicker you go. 

And for joining, I'd avoid melting, the only way I'd join is with tape on the reverse, you won't have any issues with that. 

What is it you're doing with it? You mention flexibility, is it being curved? It will 'snap' if you bend it so far, not in half, but will create a crease down the middle of the ribs.

and you say waterproof, are you having it printed directly? If so, Foamex covers both of these point quite well and I'd go for that, the finish will be much better, although, is slightly more expensive.

The issue you will encounter with both of these materials however is if you go to screw or nail them to the baseboard, they have no structure to them really, and if you over tighten you will go straight through or crush them.

I can do all of the above in quite cheaply, and I'm still going for a print mounted onto 6mm ply... I think it's the best all round solution.

• RMweb Gold

Yes and it failed after a while with an unexpected problem. I used some recycled from advertising boards we had collected back in after the event had finished. It worked for a while creating a nice flat white surface but after a year or so the surface coating on the reverse (the original art-worked side) delaminated and came away from the card frame it had been stuck to. Also problems getting some adhesives to stick to it. (I covered it in this write up which is still on my website - the failure is covered in posts 21 & 22 )

Edited by john new

I had a mad idea to build a lightweight set of baseboards from this stuff. I ordered black for the framing, green for the top and blue for the backboard.

Then I discovered that it is impossible to glue the stuff. The parts are still in the pack they came in and will probably be dumped in a skip before we move next year

Be warned!

Tim T

a print mounted onto 6mm ply... I think it's the best all round solution.

Many thanks one and all. I thought there may be a problem with corrugations but had not anticipated the creasing. I think I'll stick to ply.

Thanks again.

Adrian