john new

Having at different times been both a weary "supplier / adviser" and a naïve potential customer seeking help, I can understand how easily misunderstandings develop resulting in the person who is trying to give help feeling that his time is being wasted, and / or the potential customer feeling that he is not getting the help that he wants or deserves. Oddly enough, in my professional life I have at times felt that it was remarkably easy to make much of my living from pointing out or explaining "the obvious" to people, but it can equally become tedious to have to repeatedly explain the same "obvious" things to people, especially if the impression is gained that the enquiry was merely a frivolous one or that the explanation isn't actually going in, or that there is no gratitude for the help! I have sympathy with those who genuinely seek answers to sensible questions and who show gratitude, especially in financial form. I have sympathy with those suppliers or advisers who become jaded due to the repeated need to advise those who have no intention of becoming paying customers. I instantly bristle when those who seek help from me have a demanding attitude, no intention of spending, and "know their rights".....

• Like 5
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

To be fair, there are some people in the hobby who can bore the pants of the most patient listener.

The fact that the good folk on London Road will listen, tolerate and be polite to such folk is to their great credit!

If mentioning such an encounter on here warrants anything, it is sympathy and support, not criticism.

I have met many such people at shows, either when with a layout or doing a "demo". I have never yet got to the stage of suggesting that somebody should find somebody else to annoy but I have certainly thought it!

"Why do you do that job in that way?"

"I have been doing them that way for several years now and I find it works for me"

"I don't do it like that, I do it a different way. Why don't you try my way?" Spends 10 minutes explaining their way.

"I used to do it that way but then I tried this way and found it easier to get good results"

"Well when I do it, it works for me"

"I am pleased for you but I prefer this way and that is what I am here to demonstrate"

"Well if you tried my way again, perhaps if you did this that or the other differently, you might make it work"

"Perhaps and I am always willing to learn but I am quite happy with doing it this way. Look, you can see the results. It works for me"

"Well I think my way is better"

"Have you got anything you can show me to illustrate what you say?

"Well I haven't actually built anything yet but when I do, I will do it my way and it will be better"

And on it goes.

Meanwhile the person hovering about wanting to actually learn about how something has been made has given up and wondered off.

Sometimes you get a real gem. Somebody who knows their stuff inside out and can pass on some really helpful information or tips.

But the bores are out there. In good numbers!

• Like 6
  • Agree 8
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

It is not just traders, Societies get the same issue. As PRO I don't automatically expect people we help (either from email enquiries or f-to-f at shows) to join but a thank you is always appreciated. Frequently though, especially from on-line enquiries, there is no thank-you response.

As a punter there must be/have been times I probably ask what appear to be newbie/numpty questions because for that area of the hobby I am a newbie (my recent queries re-DCC for example) therefore I may well ask the question of the wrong person/supplier. I hope I do always acknowledge the response, even if only with a post like as a thank-you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Judging by both your non de plumes, neither of you would be interested in what the trader I help sells anyway.

I pick up a large amount of trade supplies from many friends at the show. I'm always on the lookout for new products and ranges I could use .

Pre conceived assumptions are generally not the best approach when forming new business relationships....one never knows just what the next customer will purchase. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The experienced trader, demonstrator or operator can very quickly pick up on whether somebody is genuinely interested and asks what might seem like a daft question through sheer lack of knowledge or experience.

They also pick up very quickly on the "I have a layout and I will tell you all about it (and the rest of my life) whether you want me to or not" types.

Maybe they are lonely and lack company and friends and maybe going to shows is the only way they can hold such social interaction.

I don't have a problem with that and will always be polite and engage in the conversation.

But I hope I am allowed to be pleased when they move on.

• Like 6
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 minutes ago, blueeighties said:

I pick up a large amount of trade supplies from many friends at the show. I'm always on the lookout for new products and ranges I could use .

Pre conceived assumptions are generally not the best approach when forming new business relationships....one never knows just what the next customer will purchase. 

I agree entirely about pre-conceived assumptions. Having looked at your website in the past, it does seem fairly clear that your interests and activities lie in the BR diesel era, something London Road Models couldn't help with at all. If you were to become interested in building pre-group, post group or even some early BR steam loco kits in 4mm, then that might be a different matter.

Having spent a lifetime in "customer facing" areas and having had some industrial psychology training, I don't jump to assumptions about people. Having learned at least a little about them and where their interests lie, then it becomes possible to create a business relationship that hopefully is mutually beneficial. Sometimes however, a person's demeanour can fairly quickly indicate if they are going to be straightforward and pleasant to deal with. Some can be very hard work and at times it becomes debatable whether their custom is worth the hassle. Travelling to a show, setting up and working behind a trade stand can be tiring, so having to spend time on conversations that are not productive, or at least interesting, is not a bonus. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 20/04/2019 at 14:26, 25901 said:

Plenty of Sulzers 

WP_20190420_10_20_37_Pro.jpg

On 20/04/2019 at 14:26, 25901 said:

Plenty of Sulzers 

WP_20190420_10_20_37_Pro.jpg

You can see them at work in a couple of weeks...

• RMweb Premium

Good old Geoff Brewin (RIP) used to 'hire me in' at some shows like York (busy and over more than two days), to help deal with said persons that just seem to need to  talk and often in a prolonged and sadly uninteresting way. Being very much the sole trader at most shows he used to get quite narked at the end of the day by the types being mentioned that were not going to purchase and really were/are quite difficult to finish with; he found it very exhausting. One of my ploys after some minutes and seeing the way it was going was  to excuse myself to use the bathroom, ensuring Geoff was dealing with someone else or dealing with 'something' under the stand. Didn't always work of course. Being a bit of a ######, if the opportunity was there, I also used to turn to another genuine customer (could tell by the body language/look of exasperation) and saying to said chatterer, " Excuse me but I must deal with this customer now so do go and enjoy the rest of the show". Used to work almost every time. If they didn't I reverted to the use of bathroom ploy at completion of sale.

Phil

• Like 8

As usual, an excellent show with a wide range of interest. My only grumble would be the location of Arun Quay in front of a south facing window which all but destroyed Gordon's meticulous use of light. Oddly enough, a similar location made Purgatory Peak quite heavenly. Otherwise top marks to the show manager.

• Friendly/supportive 1

15 hours ago, t-b-g said:

To be fair, there are some people in the hobby who can bore the pants of the most patient listener.

The fact that the good folk on London Road will listen, tolerate and be polite to such folk is to their great credit!

If mentioning such an encounter on here warrants anything, it is sympathy and support, not criticism.

I have met many such people at shows, either when with a layout or doing a "demo". I have never yet got to the stage of suggesting that somebody should find somebody else to annoy but I have certainly thought it!

"Why do you do that job in that way?"

"I have been doing them that way for several years now and I find it works for me"

"I don't do it like that, I do it a different way. Why don't you try my way?" Spends 10 minutes explaining their way.

"I used to do it that way but then I tried this way and found it easier to get good results"

"Well when I do it, it works for me"

"I am pleased for you but I prefer this way and that is what I am here to demonstrate"

"Well if you tried my way again, perhaps if you did this that or the other differently, you might make it work"

"Perhaps and I am always willing to learn but I am quite happy with doing it this way. Look, you can see the results. It works for me"

"Well I think my way is better"

"Have you got anything you can show me to illustrate what you say?

"Well I haven't actually built anything yet but when I do, I will do it my way and it will be better"

And on it goes.

Meanwhile the person hovering about wanting to actually learn about how something has been made has given up and wondered off.

Sometimes you get a real gem. Somebody who knows their stuff inside out and can pass on some really helpful information or tips.

But the bores are out there. In good numbers!

Well there's two minutes of my life I'll never get back......ZZZZZZ     <JOKE!> :-)

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, doilum said:

As usual, an excellent show with a wide range of interest. My only grumble would be the location of Arun Quay in front of a south facing window which all but destroyed Gordon's meticulous use of light. Oddly enough, a similar location made Purgatory Peak quite heavenly. Otherwise top marks to the show manager.

Mid afternoon when I visited, had no problems with Arun Quay—the lighting effect looked magnificent; I suspect that side of the building actually faces south-east.

Once again York was an excellent show with a wide range of layouts and traders. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Well I did the hard part, drove to York from N Wales on Sunday, booked a hotel with the intention of attending today. Then 9 month old baby had a meltdown on the way to the venue so had to abandon it and head home!

So near yet so far, at least the weather was nice and we managed a visit to the NRM!

E_R

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, grahame said:

. . . and some photos of them (the layouts) posted would be nice. :D

G

My  Flickr album.....very personal selection...

York 2019

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

• RMweb Gold

Myself and Ray had a great three days with Orchard Road. Heading off home tomorrow.

Has been hot on the 2nd floor mezz, but no major issues apart from Saturday afternoon which was the hottest, resulting in a few minor issues caused by track expansion. 

Many thanks for the invite.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

I agree entirely about pre-conceived assumptions. Having looked at your website in the past, it does seem fairly clear that your interests and activities lie in the BR diesel era, something London Road Models couldn't help with at all. If you were to become interested in building pre-group, post group or even some early BR steam loco kits in 4mm, then that might be a different matter.

Having spent a lifetime in "customer facing" areas and having had some industrial psychology training, I don't jump to assumptions about people. Having learned at least a little about them and where their interests lie, then it becomes possible to create a business relationship that hopefully is mutually beneficial. Sometimes however, a person's demeanour can fairly quickly indicate if they are going to be straightforward and pleasant to deal with. Some can be very hard work and at times it becomes debatable whether their custom is worth the hassle. Travelling to a show, setting up and working behind a trade stand can be tiring, so having to spend time on conversations that are not productive, or at least interesting, is not a bonus. 

Yes that's fair enough, I get that. I hope you had a good weekend.

• Friendly/supportive 2

I would like to thank the organisers for a really outstanding show with top quality exhibits. I came away rather inspired which is rare for me these days.  My pleasant experience was helped by the fact that there was a number of folk there whom I know and some good chats ensured. I cannot but admire folk who create these marvellous layouts and then travel often hundreds of miles with them and all for our entertainment. Fencehouses is a pure delight as was Arun Quay.  I am lucky too as being a 7mm type I was not tempted by some of the bargain prices for the smaller scale items.

I am told by my wife that this will be the last visit to York (we make a weekend of it) so I wish the show all the best for the future. Thank you to all concerned.

Martin Long

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, glo41f said:

I would like to thank the organisers for a really outstanding show with top quality exhibits. I came away rather inspired which is rare for me these days.  My pleasant experience was helped by the fact that there was a number of folk there whom I know and some good chats ensured. I cannot but admire folk who create these marvellous layouts and then travel often hundreds of miles with them and all for our entertainment. Fencehouses is a pure delight as was Arun Quay.  I am lucky too as being a 7mm type I was not tempted by some of the bargain prices for the smaller scale items.

I am told by my wife that this will be the last visit to York (we make a weekend of it) so I wish the show all the best for the future. Thank you to all concerned.

Martin Long

Are you going to allow your wife to boss you around like that. ;)

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Another successful show concluded.  Thank you to any one who attended in any role or as a payee #YMRS

Hoping everyone gets a good run home. See you again next April.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Premium
On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 21:15, 247 Developments said:

Hope to catch up with you 

Thanks matey. Came around to say hi a few times but you were busy every time. Good to see. Catch up some other time .

Phil

• Like 1