Modelling London Overground

Not sure if this correct place to discuss LO, though seeing as this and LU are both under the larger 'TfL' umbrella, it seemed appropriate.

post-26691-0-55417200-1525219221_thumb.jpg

So I thought about converting a RTR Bachmann Class 170 into a LO Class 172 and wondered how difficult it could be. Has anybody else attempted this or does anybody else model London Overground?
I thought that modelling one of these small DMUs which operate from Gospel Oak to Barking would be a good start, and would be a good addition to any small layout for anyone wanting to model modern image at home.

Here are some photos showing what I've done so far, you can follow all my progress on my blog.
post-26691-0-79873600-1525219268_thumb.jpgpost-26691-0-95466900-1525219296_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I'd think it would be quite an easy project if you are happy with repainting and you can get hold of the parts required.  I think PH Designs have done a window etching for the 172 but it's not listed on there site, maybe it was a commission?  Bachmann Voyager bogies would be an acceptable replacement for the Turbostar ones.  Phoenix Precision do TFL Blue paint but don't appear to do Overground Orange.

Thanks for the tips.

I'm going to experiment with waterside transfers and produce some orange stripes, roundels and other pieces, the rest I will attempt to do with an airbrush.

I'm wondering if 3D printed parts might do the trick for the windows and bogies.

• RMweb Gold

I'd think it would be quite an easy project if you are happy with repainting and you can get hold of the parts required. I think PH Designs have done a window etching for the 172 but it's not listed on there site, maybe it was a commission? Bachmann Voyager bogies would be an acceptable replacement for the Turbostar ones. Phoenix Precision do TFL Blue paint but don't appear to do Overground Orange.

Pete did the 172 window etches for me when I did a LM 172/3, I think you can order them from him still, they basically replace the complete window ribbon for a brass etch with individual windows

Swapping the bogies is simple enough if you can get hold of any voyager bogies that is!

• RMweb Gold

Some pics

Etches

08052011492.jpg

Yoyager bogies

08052011504.jpg

Etches in place

08052011520.jpg

Together

08052011522.jpg

Painted in chiltern livery

04357f03.png

9cd2354e.jpg

It was only a few years back but I can’t remember what I did with that unit, I may have sold it on or stripped it down and used the etches on the LM gangwayed 172 I converted (which I know I sold on)

Pete did the 172 window etches for me when I did a LM 172/3, I think you can order them from him still, they basically replace the complete window ribbon for a brass etch with individual windows

Swapping the bogies is simple enough if you can get hold of any voyager bogies that is!

Thanks, I'll check it out.

• RMweb Gold

It may be an optical illusion due to the different (more yellow) paintscheme. But the 172 cab looks to be a slightly different shape to the 170 - more "pointy".

Nice to see someone modelling a very interesting/different part of the London rail scene.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell