Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Sad to report that our local model railway shop here in Wellingborough suffered a shop lifting incident last week, when 7 locos were stolen whilst the shopkeeper was serving another customer (He was a friend of the shop owner just helping out for the day whilst the owner had to be elsewhere).

The following Hornby locos (all in green) were stolen:

GNR N7 0-6-2 no. 1744
LSWR M7 0-4-4 no. 245
Class 42xx 2-8-0 no. 4266
Class 42xx 2-8-0 no. 4261
N15 4-6-0 Sir Sagmore
B17 4-6-0 Sandringham
T9 4-4-0 No. 709

They were stolen from a display case in the shop, so they are all brand new but without their boxes.

If you spot such a collection, or part of, being offered for sale, please let me know.

The helper is particularly upset by this, as he feels it is his fault, although it is clearly the scumbag that took them that is responsible.

There is some CCTV footage, he shop owner is going to let me have a copy to post, just in case anybody recognises the thief. (He has given a copy to the police, who told him they might be in touch in "one to two weeks".)

(is this the right place on RMweb to post this?  If there is a better place, let me know)

Edited by PeteB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Unboxed so I assume they'll be obvious if sold on and may well have incurrd a bit of damage even from the heist itself as they must have been stuffed into a bag or similar?

• RMweb Gold

Could this topic be made a sticky?

Which part of the country have they been nicked from?

Wellingborough?

Good guess.

For the geographically challenged, Wellingborough is sort of south of the East Midlands and Northwards from London village.

Mike.

• Like 1

Yep, Wellingborough is on the Midland Main Line north of Bedford and south of Kettering.  It is also East of Northampton and West of Peterborough.

The thief stuffed them into his bag so I think you are right, there might well be some damage.

Once I get hold of the CCTV footage I'll post it, just in case somebody recognises him.

In some ways not customer friendly but maybe all shops need to do the same as the Model Railroad shop in Renfrew BC and have all bags left at the door or at the counter.  Yes small bits can be slipped into a pocket but it does limit what and how much can be taken.

Personally when I visit my regular shop (Arcadia) I have one of his bags in my pocket which comes out at the till (and always leaves with something in it).

When I visit other shops I rely on them providing a bag.

Edited by 10000

I'm not familiar with those particular models, but do they have detailing packs for brake rigging and vacuum pipes, and if so were they fitted?  If not fitted, might be something to distinguish them by.

• RMweb Gold

For the geographically challenged, Wellingborough is sort of south of the East Midlands and Northwards from London village.

Mike.

When I worked at Euston House (BRB) in the '90s, we had some secretarial/PA staff who commuted from Wellingborough. Nearby Irthlingborough seemed to offer affordable housing. I still think of it in respect of Crosti 9Fs.

• RMweb Premium

Wellingborough has 'small townitis' as so many others. Not a lot of well paid employment and plenty of drugs of course. However it is in a nice part of the world and I lived there for 4 years in the mid 70s when it still had a more or less a proper railway with lovely semaphores.

Shop lifting like this is such a negative thing. Where these people think they are going to fence the items is beyond me.

Sad event and even sadder, not unusual these days.

Phil

It happens...

We've bought items in good faith, only to find out later that they had been stolen.

Fortunately we had the sellers ID details to pass to the police.

We keep records of all of our purchases and try to avoid any stolen items.

The original owner was very good about it (It had been a family member siphoning items from his collection)  we returned what we had left of his items, but there was nothing we could do about items already sold on.

I'm not familiar with those particular models, but do they have detailing packs for brake rigging and vacuum pipes, and if so were they fitted?  If not fitted, might be something to distinguish them by.

I'm pretty sure any detailing parts were not fitted - presumably still in the boxes which the shop owner still has.  I guess he might recover a few quid by selling the detailing packs separately, perhaps on Ebay or whatever.

• RMweb Premium

I'm pretty sure any detailing parts were not fitted - presumably still in the boxes which the shop owner still has.  I guess he might recover a few quid by selling the detailing packs separately, perhaps on Ebay or whatever.

....and the boxes, however that is little solace after such an event.

P

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As the helper looking after the shop I have burnt the videos to DVD/CD and have a copy on USB. I have also produced still images of the scumbag both full face and profile

The detailing packs were not fitted.

The miscreant had a bag but appears to have broken the cabinet hinges and put the locos into a bag a rolled up newspaper and into his anorak

Chaz D

Edited by CHAZ D

• RMweb Gold

As the helper looking after the shop I have burnt the videos to DVD/CD and have a copy on USB. I have also produced still images of the scumbag both full face and profile

The detailing packs were not fitted.

The miscreant had a bag but appears to have broken the cabinet hinges and put the locos into a bag a rolled up newspaper and into his anorack

Chaz D

Are the videos going to be shown?, someone might recognise a face.

Mike.

• 9 months later...