Southern Pride Models

cromptonnut

​I contacted them through their website a couple of weeks ago with some queries about one of their products (as I have never built any of their kits before) and have had no reply.  No direct email address or phone number given.  No list of exhibitions they might be attending.  Although there is Aril 2018 news about.  It seems they only take cheques (which I have no idea as it's several years since I used a cheque).

​Any suggestions?

Edited by cromptonnut

• RMweb Premium

I have built a few "Southern Pride" kits over the years. They go together relative easy with out to much time. He only dose these kits as it is not his main job of employment. He has attended exhibitions in the past, but the last time I asked him why he did not attend exhibitions was that it know cost to much to attend shows and it was no longer a viable or cost effective to do. 

The best way to contact him is by snail mail, as mentioned earlier in the thread. 

I hope that is of help.

Terry    

post-6815-0-81369500-1525292581_thumb.jpg

The above image is a "Southern Pride Royal Mail Stowage Van" that was some time ago.

post-6815-0-26341100-1525292793.jpg

The above image is the aforementioned completed stowage vans. The one with the offset door was the only one to be designed like that so that it could run with the western regions mail set of coaches.

Edited by Trainshed Terry
  • Like 1

By​ post?  Why have an email contact form on the website if there's no intention of responding to it?  I get that it isn't a full time business but I struggle in this modern age to not even have a contact phone number between certain hours.

​Basically I was interested in one of their kits (a slam door third rail EMU, I forget which one right now) and wondered if the kit as it is was complete to build an unpowered unit (to run with a Bachmann unit or Heljan 33), or whether it's one of these where you get the kit and end up spending as much again on bits to complete it.

Am I right in thinking you only need tools and glue as they essentially come ready painted just put the bits together?

​Just reluctant to spend nearly £100 on a kit that I then can't build until I get all the other parts.  Doesn't even seem I can get to an exhibition and see for myself.

By​ post?  Why have an email contact form on the website if there's no intention of responding to it?  I get that it isn't a full time business but I struggle in this modern age to not even have a contact phone number between certain hours.

​Basically I was interested in one of their kits (a slam door third rail EMU, I forget which one right now) and wondered if the kit as it is was complete to build an unpowered unit (to run with a Bachmann unit or Heljan 33), or whether it's one of these where you get the kit and end up spending as much again on bits to complete it.

Am I right in thinking you only need tools and glue as they essentially come ready painted just put the bits together?

​Just reluctant to spend nearly £100 on a kit that I then can't build until I get all the other parts.  Doesn't even seem I can get to an exhibition and see for myself.

Hi,

With their third rail EMUS you have to paint everything except the sides.

However the parts to be painted are generally just one colour each so maybe not too difficult.

The EMU kits normally require a motor bogie to complete.

Beyond that you only need tools and glue. The instructions I've found very good - better than any other kit.

Regards

Nick

I built a couple of their excellent BR coaches some time back, and found them relatively straightforward and with good instructions (certainly by typical model railway kit standards!); if you have built a reasonably advanced Airfix plastic kit, or something from Parkside more complex than a wagon, you should have no great difficulty.  The main challenge I found was protecting the finish on the sides while handling the coach to assemble it.

Sadly, Southern Pride seem to be a classic example of the typical small supplier found in the world of railway modelling, who undoubtedly produces a good product but lacks the will, skill, time, mojo, motivation or whatever to market it effectively.  There are any number of perfectly valid explanations (and some perfectly invalid ones) available as to why that might be - some positively like to keep things small and cosy and just deal with mates and kindred spirits; some have 'day jobs' or other commitments and genuinely couldn't cope with any greater level of demand; some seem to regard customers and their questions as just a bloo%y nuisance; some simply have no desire or aspiration to grow their business, or fear 'bigger' might mean less profit, not more; some are reluctant to put any more time and effort into developing their range or service but regard it as a small-scale 'cash cow' while it lasts ... and so on.

What really irks me is that quite a few of them seem not to embrace the Internet at all, instead relying heavily on an "old boy network" of skilled and committed (but often ageing) modellers for their custom.  And of those that do have some form of Web presence, quite a few seem to make no real attempt to use e-mail properly and promptly, nor to make their websites user-friendly or, especially, to keep them up-to-date.  Coopercraft is perhaps the best example of that (quite apart from the allegations on other threads about their business ethics, which I will not elaborate upon here, but to be fair I believe is otherwise very rare); but other examples are easy to find. 

Southern Pride too is something of an example of this; yes, there are very occasional updates to a few of the pages but others seem not to have been touched for years - I have been looking at the SR Bulleid Coaches page for several years now; and it still shows "these products have been withdrawn for improvements to the range" (or words to that effect).  Had they been available, over that timescale I'd certainly have bought 3-4, and Lord knows how many other sales have been foregone to other modellers over that period who are still waiting, waiting ... and if the "improvements" are indeed still even under development, at this rate of progress one of the major manufacturers will bring out R-T-R versions within the next few years before Southern Pride finish their work, and then he'll have lost his market and the investment put-in.  If there's no realistic prospect they ever will appear now, why not just say so at the front of the Site and delete the redundant page, for goodness sake?!

Such a shame because, as I said at the outset, the product quality is indeed excellent and the pricing fair.

Edited by Willie Whizz
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I agree that SP are 'a little difficult' to contact, however I take exception to the comment that the single owner regards customers as a 'bl##dy nuisance'. He has always been exceptionally helpful to me and gone out of his way to source me some LNER Artic etches as well as supplying all sorts of Bulleid and MK1 bits and bobs.

Yes, he may not be 'in the electronic have it by tomorrow' brigade, but he is older than me and that is old.

A little patience and persistance required and you can obtain the goods. Cut the man some slack.

I agree that the Bulleid section should go really, as I keep looking and thinking how good that particular Diagram would look on my layout.

Phil

• Like 2

Mallard60022, you bad lad,  :nono:  you have put words into my mouth that were not intended.  I emphatically did NOT say I believed Southern Pride regarded their customers in that way; I said that "SOME" small suppliers seem to.

As a matter of fact I did once need to contact SP about something - yes, it had to be by "snail mail" but Mr  ... Whatsisname, sorry, can't recall ... was very helpful and supportive.  That has not been my universal experience with some others, however.

On the more general point, I am very far from a 'spring chicken' myself, but even so long before retiring from work had learned the fundamental importance of regularly checking my e-mail inbox and responding promptly to messages (even if only a one-line acknowledgment to say that a detailed response would take a few days to prepare).  And I learned in my 60s how to make simple changes to websites; it is not something that can just be worked out by fiddling around, but nor is it rocket-science and training is often available for free to anyone who can be bothered to access it. 

People are very fond of saying on RMWeb that other modellers should stop making excuses and(e.g.) learn to solder, and properly; well I respectfully suggest that anyone who aspires to run even a small hobby-related businesses towards the end of the second decade of the 21st Century should take similar advice - get a basic website; keep it simple so it doesn't need constant updating; but also learn for yourself how to keep it up-to-date when it does.  And check your e-mails regularly ... these days dissatisfied customers (and dissatisfied would-be customers) have easy means to trash your reputation as a trader irreparably within the modelling world, whether you believe your actions or inactions justified or not - just ask 'Mr CooperCraft'.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mallard60022, you bad lad,  :nono:  you have put words into my mouth that were not intended.  I emphatically did NOT say I believed Southern Pride regarded their customers in that way; I said that "SOME" small suppliers seem to.

As a matter of fact I did once need to contact SP about something - yes, it had to be by "snail mail" but Mr  ... Whatsisname, sorry, can't recall ... was very helpful and supportive.  That has not been my universal experience with some others, however.

On the more general point, I am very far from a 'spring chicken' myself, but even so long before retiring from work had learned the fundamental importance of regularly checking my e-mail inbox and responding promptly to messages (even if only a one-line acknowledgment to say that a detailed response would take a few days to prepare).  And I learned in my 60s how to make simple changes to websites; it is not something that can just be worked out by fiddling around, but nor is it rocket-science and training is often available for free to anyone who can be bothered to access it. 

People are very fond of saying on RMWeb that other modellers should stop making excuses and(e.g.) learn to solder, and properly; well I respectfully suggest that anyone who aspires to run even a small hobby-related businesses towards the end of the second decade of the 21st Century should take similar advice - get a basic website; keep it simple so it doesn't need constant updating; but also learn for yourself how to keep it up-to-date when it does.  And check your e-mails regularly ... these days dissatisfied customers (and dissatisfied would-be customers) have easy means to trash your reputation as a trader irreparably within the modelling world, whether you believe your actions or inactions justified or not - just ask 'Mr CooperCraft'.

Apologies. I respect your thoughts and understand what you are saying, however sad it may be SP dave will not change his spots at this end of his career.

Phil

Pleased​ to say that contact has now been made with SP, the information I needed has been supplied, and once the chequebook I have ordered from my bank arrives I will be able to place an order.  Hopefully this will be the first of many, to expand my fleet.

I've pointed this out so many times, so I'm not going to spell it all out in full again.

Suffice to say that, for many small business owners, the volume and character of the business that they currently receive, without IT facilities, is more than adequate.

Potential customers who would rather have a supplier who responds at the speed of light will continue to have to find alternative sources.

With the steady decline in these 'cottage industries', that may well be harder to do than to accept existing suppliers 'trading peculiarities'.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I have had years of enjoyment making coaches using Southern Pride components (and CCT transfers) and without these (and other) suppliers I would not be able to complete any of my models. To order by post is no real hassle when you have the website for part numbers and prices and I have always received prompt and courteous service. From my limited experience most of these proprietors are willing to spend a disproportionate amount of time helping modellers in the use of their products for what in the end is probably relatively small remuneration.

In my view this hobby would be much poorer without such people - long may they continue.

Tony

• 2 months later...

Let me put something positive into this thread.

I live in New Zealand and model GWR/SR/WR.  A few years ago, I acquired some Southern Pride Bulleid coaches from an auction locally.  I built some of them (still got a couple to go!).  I wanted to get some more so I could build up an 'Atlantic Coast' set.

I sent an enquiry from the website and David Lewis from SP replied and couldn't be more helpful.  He let me know what Bulleid coaches he could supply and I placed an order over by email so he could reserve them.  He came back and gave me a shipping cost based on the items required.

Yes I had to send him a cheque and he sent the items as soon as the cheque cleared, advising me on the same day.

It may not be the same service as many of the online retailers but you get something quite different at what I think is a very reasonable price indeed.

I deal with a number of suppliers around the world and while the majority are great, there are one or two who could learn from someone like David Lewis.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I've bought a few items from SP in the last twelve months and whilst the ordering process may not be a click away, the items arrived after only a few days.

As for the Bulleid kits, it may be that there was a planned upgrade that never took place. I bought four completed (very badly) coaches off tinternet and quickly  noticed that the bogies are set a scale foot and a half too far apart, presumably to lessen the distance to accommodate the bogie mounts of the triang-type couplings. It does alter the whole perception of the finished article and might be why the kit run was suspended.

For those not averse to fettling though, they can make quite interesting projects.

• Like 1

It should also be noted that Dave at SP has collaborated extensively with Replica Railways as regards using their low profile, motorised chassis, for multiple units, making the use of their kits simplicity indeed. This fell apart for a while, as Replica could not source a supply for their chassis, but these are now available again, at two lengths instead of just one. Replica did these long before Bachmann "discovered" how to do it.

I have a couple of their 2 HAP kits already, and started one, before the Replica chassis became available. I still have not finished it, because other matters took over, but if I can do it, anyone can....I still have the incentive to finish this as the new Bachmann RTR version will only come in Blue Grey (and green and NSE), at least initially, whereas SP supplied exactly what I needed - an all blue pre 1982 version. Indeed, these are still available on SP's site.

A key purchase I will make this year will be their refurbished 4CEP and maybe  4BEP kits. I looked at the extremely expensive Britannia Pacific RTR version of this, and decided SP had a much better product. There is no other RTR or kit version of this yet to be announced. Even Electra Trains vinyl version of this requires an SP donor shell!

One thing I have found with cottage manufacturers (who are still a majority in the garden railway world, in SM32 anyway) who only want cheques, is to offer to do a bank transfer instead. Instant gratification, and much faster supply. I have not tried this with SP, but cannot see why he might refuse.

A key purchase I will make this year will be their refurbished 4CEP and maybe 4BEP kits. I looked at the extremely expensive Britannia Pacific RTR version of this, and decided SP had a much better product. There is no other RTR or kit version of this yet to be announced. Even Electra Trains vinyl version of this requires an SP donor shell!

Bachmann have a forthcoming 4BEP to compliment their 4CEP (un-refurbished).

The only reason I've yet to order anything from SP is not because of a lack of quality or anything like that. But a lack of ability to pay other than seemingly by cheque. A lot of bank accounts don't come with cheque books, especially if you have a more basic account. With a lot of suppliers who operate like this I usually tend to wait until they're at a show, but obviously it is not feasible for some of them.

Does anyone know if SP accept bank transfers?

The only reason I've yet to order anything from SP is not because of a lack of quality or anything like that. But a lack of ability to pay other than seemingly by cheque. A lot of bank accounts don't come with cheque books, especially if you have a more basic account. 

Do you not have a friend or family member with an account with a chequebook, that you could ask to write a cheque for you if you gave them the money?

• Like 1

Do you not have a friend or family member with an account with a chequebook, that you could ask to write a cheque for you if you gave them the money?

I could ask my partner if i really needed to. But it is an annoying extra hassle. First world type problem i know however.

As for the Bulleid kits, it may be that there was a planned upgrade that never took place. 

That would be perfectly understandable if it was technically and/or financially inappropriate to continue.  No argument there.

What is much harder to understand is why, if that was indeed the case, the website continues to suggest - as it has for some years now - that the proposed Bulleid upgrade is still in progress, and says - in effect - "be patient and watch this space".

Other parts of the SP website continue to receive occasional minor tweaks from time to time, suggesting the proprietor remains engaged with his business and does not lack the capability, so the failure to update this particular page so potential customers are not left waiting in false hope after all this time is ... well, rather baffling, really.

That would be perfectly understandable if it was technically and/or financially inappropriate to continue. No argument there.

What is much harder to understand is why, if that was indeed the case, the website continues to suggest - as it has for some years now - that the proposed Bulleid upgrade is still in progress, and says - in effect - "be patient and watch this space".

Other parts of the SP website continue to receive occasional minor tweaks from time to time, suggesting the proprietor remains engaged with his business and does not lack the capability, so the failure to update this particular page so potential customers are not left waiting in false hope after all this time is ... well, rather baffling, really.

It makes sense not to continue with new Bachmann on the horizon. Only if they're ones Bachmann have no interest in doing is doing bulleid coaches worthwhile, unless of course Bachmann screw the new ones up.

As for updating the website, perhaps it is a part forgotten about?