Southern Pride Models

cromptonnut

Just now, Esmedune said:

I've just come across this thread after two years, and I don't know if SP are still going, now that cheque book are confined to history, but everything I've looked at on the site had a big juicy red cross next to it. 

It appears I am doomed to wait for my eBay searches to come up with something, but I'd have loved some of his range :(

Yes he's still going. It depends on what you are looking for. I'm pretty sure there was a more up to date thread than this.

The printed coach kits are mostly discontinued (possibly permanently)*. But the etchings and most other parts are still available. As are things like the TPOs and the car carriers.

*It was a lack of roofs that was the problem. But I believe that sales of some models were low as there are better options now. Many of these originally came out in the mid 1980s when the choice of RTR coaches was very poor.

For example, the Bachmann BR Pullmans are in a totally different class.

Jason

• Like 1

Not long ago, I was going to purchase their 205 kit, but everything apart from some of the detailing parts was discontinued (No doubt because of Bachmann bringing their model out) a pity alot of the DEMUs on there just arnt availaible anymore..

NL

8 hours ago, NickL2008 said:

Not long ago, I was going to purchase their 205 kit, but everything apart from some of the detailing parts was discontinued (No doubt because of Bachmann bringing their model out) a pity alot of the DEMUs on there just arnt availaible anymore..

NL

Hi,

As has been mentioned above Southern Pride ran out of standard Mk1 coach roofs and has withdrawn all kits that use that roof. The Southern Pride Class 205 kit remained for sale long after Kernow produced their two car Class 205.

Regards

Nick

• RMweb Premium
On 03/07/2021 at 20:51, Esmedune said:

I'm interested in a Mk1 griddle car and the three breakdown coaches.  It is not the easiest site to navigate, but I didn't want to go down the rabbit hole if it was only going to depress me.

Can you get the sides and use a RTR Mk 1 carcase? Bit more fettling but worth it if the sides are etched.

Esmedune

Have you tried contacting SP with an email?

A couple of years ago I wanted a set  of Griddle car sides and was faced with the red X on the web site. So I sent an email to Kidderminster [?] asking if the sides were likely to be available in the future and low and behold a couple of weeks later I was the proud owner of a set of Griddle car sides.

Excellent personal service in my book.

Doug

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Can you get the sides and use a RTR Mk 1 carcase? Bit more fettling but worth it if the sides are etched.

Some are similar to the old MAJ kits of clear plastic sides with a sticky back plastic painted and lined overlays,  cut out the windows, peel off the backing and stick to the sides.

10 hours ago, Icknieldrobin said:

Esmedune

Have you tried contacting SP with an email?

A couple of years ago I wanted a set  of Griddle car sides and was faced with the red X on the web site. So I sent an email to Kidderminster [?] asking if the sides were likely to be available in the future and low and behold a couple of weeks later I was the proud owner of a set of Griddle car sides.

Excellent personal service in my book.

Doug

I had a similar experience with my XP64 kit, there were a few extras I needed which he had and sold me for a good price.

• Like 1

I think at times I must be cursed, not related to SPM, but I emailed a couple of small suppliers (wont name any names ) and I do appreciate alot of smaller companies dont have high staff levels, but at the date of writing this email never recevied a reasponse! Think there were a couple of other items from them I was interested in so may drop them an email also

NL

On 07/07/2021 at 08:28, NIK said:

Hi,

As has been mentioned above Southern Pride ran out of standard Mk1 coach roofs and has withdrawn all kits that use that roof. The Southern Pride Class 205 kit remained for sale long after Kernow produced their two car Class 205.

Regards

Nick

Hi Nick,

I obtained what I needed for a class 207 (As it *almost* operated on where my layout is based on) elsewhere as Bachmanns' model [of the 205 DEMU] was and still is a bit pricey (IMO). Good to know they still had / have it if ever I decide to do one

NL

Edited by NickL2008

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/07/2021 at 20:33, Esmedune said:

I've just come across this thread after two years, and I don't know if SP are still going, now that cheque book are confined to history, but everything I've looked at on the site had a big juicy red cross next to it. 

It appears I am doomed to wait for my eBay searches to come up with something, but I'd have loved some of his range :(

Definitely still going, a couple of Mk2 coach kits and a load of bits have just arrived. Took about 2 weeks from posting the order.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just been checking and there are a lot of Bulleid parts still left, especially the basic Kits at about £13, on which I put Comet and or Mousa Models brass sides. Much easier than using old Bachmans as they were too short. Haven' tried with the newer Hornby or Baccy products. Jolly good for Dave, long may he continue. I usually write to him with return SAE if I need some info; bit slow but works well for me.

Phil

• Like 3

5 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Definitely still going, a couple of Mk2 coach kits and a load of bits have just arrived. Took about 2 weeks from posting the order.  

How did you check stock levels to order? I could do with a conversation with him and not be using carrier pigeon to then find out He doesn't have what I want.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Esmedune said:

How did you check stock levels to order? I could do with a conversation with him and not be using carrier pigeon to then find out He doesn't have what I want.

Sometimes it is wiser to play by the other person's rules and then you will find you may well get more for your bucks as you appear to be being in tune with the other player. 

Worth a pint....it worked for me as I got stuff that seemed to be finished/no longer available. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I thought I'd share my recent experience ordering from David Lewis of Southern Pride. Southern Pride is still very much with us, though it does sounds like he is now semi-retired or moving in that direction.

I got in touch via the email address on the SP site and we talked back and forth over several weeks about availability and stuff like that. There were typically a few days between each email.

I was wanting to order the 3 Crewe breakdown coaches, some of the window grills for departmental caches plus a few other odds & ends. He is out of roofs for mk.1s but some years back I ordered some basic coach 'starter kits', just chassis, sides & roof, so luckily I had 3 left. As an aside, the roofs from the old Kitmaster mk.1 coach kits can be made to work on SP coaches.

Kits have now arrived & I am a happy camper, posting overseas has never been an issue with him. Those window grill etches are excellent, looking forward to using some of them. Overall, it sounds like it is worth reaching out to him if interested in any SP items, you never know ... particularly if you can overcome the roof issue with an alternative.

He is a gem to deal with, impeccably polite & super helpful.

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

They were responding to emails about a month back when I bought some more Mk2 kits. 

1 hour ago, dessire_luvals said:

I want to order a Tavern Car set but can’t work out what’s in box and needs ordering on top.

There's some information at the bottom of this page: http://www.southernpridemodels.co.uk/html/srkits.htm

Never tried the Bulleids, but the Mk1s came with everything apart from paint/glue, transfers and wheels (and the interior kit, which you need to order as a separate item from him).