Jump to content

Southern Pride Models


cromptonnut
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, Esmedune said:

I've just come across this thread after two years, and I don't know if SP are still going, now that cheque book are confined to history, but everything I've looked at on the site had a big juicy red cross next to it. 

It appears I am doomed to wait for my eBay searches to come up with something, but I'd have loved some of his range :(

 

Yes he's still going. It depends on what you are looking for. I'm pretty sure there was a more up to date thread than this.

 

The printed coach kits are mostly discontinued (possibly permanently)*. But the etchings and most other parts are still available. As are things like the TPOs and the car carriers.

 

 

 

 

*It was a lack of roofs that was the problem. But I believe that sales of some models were low as there are better options now. Many of these originally came out in the mid 1980s when the choice of RTR coaches was very poor.

 

For example, the Bachmann BR Pullmans are in a totally different class.

 

 

Jason

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm interested in a Mk1 griddle car and the three breakdown coaches.  It is not the easiest site to navigate, but I didn't want to go down the rabbit hole if it was only going to depress me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not long ago, I was going to purchase their 205 kit, but everything apart from some of the detailing parts was discontinued (No doubt because of Bachmann bringing their model out) a pity alot of the DEMUs on there just arnt availaible anymore..

 

NL

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, NickL2008 said:

Not long ago, I was going to purchase their 205 kit, but everything apart from some of the detailing parts was discontinued (No doubt because of Bachmann bringing their model out) a pity alot of the DEMUs on there just arnt availaible anymore..

 

NL

Hi,

 

As has been mentioned above Southern Pride ran out of standard Mk1 coach roofs and has withdrawn all kits that use that roof. The Southern Pride Class 205 kit remained for sale long after Kernow produced their two car Class 205.

 

Regards

 

Nick

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 03/07/2021 at 20:51, Esmedune said:

I'm interested in a Mk1 griddle car and the three breakdown coaches.  It is not the easiest site to navigate, but I didn't want to go down the rabbit hole if it was only going to depress me.

Can you get the sides and use a RTR Mk 1 carcase? Bit more fettling but worth it if the sides are etched.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Esmedune

 

Have you tried contacting SP with an email?

 

A couple of years ago I wanted a set  of Griddle car sides and was faced with the red X on the web site. So I sent an email to Kidderminster [?] asking if the sides were likely to be available in the future and low and behold a couple of weeks later I was the proud owner of a set of Griddle car sides.

 

Excellent personal service in my book.

 

Doug

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Can you get the sides and use a RTR Mk 1 carcase? Bit more fettling but worth it if the sides are etched.

 

Some are similar to the old MAJ kits of clear plastic sides with a sticky back plastic painted and lined overlays,  cut out the windows, peel off the backing and stick to the sides.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Icknieldrobin said:

Esmedune

 

Have you tried contacting SP with an email?

 

A couple of years ago I wanted a set  of Griddle car sides and was faced with the red X on the web site. So I sent an email to Kidderminster [?] asking if the sides were likely to be available in the future and low and behold a couple of weeks later I was the proud owner of a set of Griddle car sides.

 

Excellent personal service in my book.

 

Doug

I had a similar experience with my XP64 kit, there were a few extras I needed which he had and sold me for a good price.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think at times I must be cursed, not related to SPM, but I emailed a couple of small suppliers (wont name any names ) and I do appreciate alot of smaller companies dont have high staff levels, but at the date of writing this email never recevied a reasponse! Think there were a couple of other items from them I was interested in so may drop them an email also

 

NL

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 07/07/2021 at 08:28, NIK said:

Hi,

 

As has been mentioned above Southern Pride ran out of standard Mk1 coach roofs and has withdrawn all kits that use that roof. The Southern Pride Class 205 kit remained for sale long after Kernow produced their two car Class 205.

 

Regards

 

Nick

 

Hi Nick,

 

I obtained what I needed for a class 207 (As it *almost* operated on where my layout is based on) elsewhere as Bachmanns' model [of the 205 DEMU] was and still is a bit pricey (IMO). Good to know they still had / have it if ever I decide to do one

 

NL

Edited by NickL2008
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/07/2021 at 20:33, Esmedune said:

I've just come across this thread after two years, and I don't know if SP are still going, now that cheque book are confined to history, but everything I've looked at on the site had a big juicy red cross next to it. 

It appears I am doomed to wait for my eBay searches to come up with something, but I'd have loved some of his range :(

Definitely still going, a couple of Mk2 coach kits and a load of bits have just arrived. Took about 2 weeks from posting the order.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just been checking and there are a lot of Bulleid parts still left, especially the basic Kits at about £13, on which I put Comet and or Mousa Models brass sides. Much easier than using old Bachmans as they were too short. Haven' tried with the newer Hornby or Baccy products. Jolly good for Dave, long may he continue. I usually write to him with return SAE if I need some info; bit slow but works well for me.

Phil

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Definitely still going, a couple of Mk2 coach kits and a load of bits have just arrived. Took about 2 weeks from posting the order.  

How did you check stock levels to order? I could do with a conversation with him and not be using carrier pigeon to then find out He doesn't have what I want.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Esmedune said:

How did you check stock levels to order? I could do with a conversation with him and not be using carrier pigeon to then find out He doesn't have what I want.

Sometimes it is wiser to play by the other person's rules and then you will find you may well get more for your bucks as you appear to be being in tune with the other player. 

Worth a pint....it worked for me as I got stuff that seemed to be finished/no longer available. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...